Code: 15866 Posted: 09/13/2019
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Financial Specialist.
As part of the Business Services team, this position is part of the Accounts Payable and campus accounting function, provides office support and serves as a campus liaison to support the financial processes required by the campus community. This hands-on role is responsible for vendor entry, maintaining federal tax identification compliance in the vendor module in PeopleSoft, and Controller pre-audit intake. This position also performs various back-up roles for the Accounts Payable functions and modules while maintaining separation of duties, and includes monthly chargeback reconciliations, bank reconciliations, completes budget and student financial journals and completes journal uploads. This position reports to the Controller and Assistant Controller.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete clearing account, internal department, and various bank account reconciliations. Resolve discrepancies with the bank and or the Cashier’s Office
- Complete and distribute all Controller pre-audit documents within Business Services which includes properly reviewing requisitions, invoices for funding and W-9’s for accuracy and timeliness.
- Create and provide financial and other reports and assist in the annual year-end closing process
- Create, assist with renewals and close purchase orders
- Serve as point of contact to maintain the vendor files and information; and perform as the liaison with UW System Administration on the Shared Supplier PeopleSoft System.
- Assist the campus community Financial Specialists by facilitating continuous training, information flow and execute as the subject matter expert in all areas related to the functions executed by Business Services
- Provide support and financial reporting as necessary for all audit activities
- In conjunction with the Business Services team, assist in developing and updating the Business Services website
- Complete budget and student financial journals and perform the journal upload process
- Support the Business Services team as general office support
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Strong financial, analytical, and critical/problem solving/thinking skills
- Excellent customer service with the ability to build effective relationships
- Effective organizational and management skills with high level of attention to detail and ability to coordinate and prioritize work and activities.
- Ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects, and still meet strict deadlines.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability in applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and a working knowledge of Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS).
- Current experience in using an enterprise financial software program (e.g., PeopleSoft or other enterprise software)
- Responsibility for accounts which hold financial information
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING AND/OR CERTIFICATIONS
- Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting or closely related field or equivalent business/technical experience.
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are encouraged to be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "15866"
- Select "Financial Specialist"
- Click "Apply"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information of three references upon hire
Review of Applications
Applications received by 11:59p.m. Friday September 27th, 2019 are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Legal Notices and Important Information
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. (see TC1 - App. 4 and p. 12)
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Transcripts will be required upon hire.