Human Resources Support Specialist
Code: 15884 Posted: 09/17/2019
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Human Resources Support Specialist.
Under the direct supervision of the human resources director, this position provides administrative and secretarial support for the human resources. In addition to typing, filing and scheduling, performs duties such as conducting research, preparing reports, handling confidential request and information, performing clerical functions such as preparing highly confidential and sensitive correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls and scheduling meetings. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize and organize diversified workload, and recommend changes in office practices or procedures.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedules and organizes complex activities such as meetings, travel, conferences and department activities for HR Director.
- Establishes, develops, maintains and updates filing system for the director and the department. Retrieves information from files when needed. Establishes, develops, maintains and updates HR related files and materials.
- Sorts and distributes mail. Opens mail for HR director. Drafts written responses or replies by phone or e-mail when necessary. Responds to regularly occurring requests for information.
- Acts as liaison with other departments and outside agencies, including high-level staff such as Chancellor, provosts, directors and deans. Handles confidential and non-routine information and explains policies when necessary.
- Works independently and within HR team on special, non-recurring and ongoing projects. Act as project manager for special projects, at the request of director, which may include: planning and coordinating multiple presentations, disseminating information, coordinating direct mailings, creating PowerPoints, Excel Spreadsheets or other written materials.
- Types and designs general correspondences, memos, charts, tables, etc. Proofreads copy for spelling, grammar and layout, making appropriate changes. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy.
- Oversees student employees, provide guidance, answer questions and delegate tasks in concert with director and specialist.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Standards of Performance
- Overall thoroughness, organization, accuracy, and availability of appropriate.
- Adequacy, timeliness, and accuracy.
- Timeliness of meeting goals.
- Willingness to make suggestions and soundness of those suggestions.
- Soundness of judgment and operational decisions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work while being responsive to University personnel.
- Timely and effective communication of problems and opportunities. This includes the responsibility for identifying and communicating information of importance as soon as possible.
- Integrity in dealing with customers, students, vendors, employees, and management.
- Punctuality, attendance, effective use of time, and willingness to work overtime when necessary.
- Maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Willingness to assist with special projects and other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Abilities and competencies
- Technical capacity.
- Personal effectiveness/credibility.
- Collaboration skills.
- Project management skills.
- Communication proficiency.
- High degree of business acumen.
- Attention to detail and ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Superb written and communication skills required.
- Ability to think creatively, critically and implement new solutions.
- Ability to initiate, prioritize, plan, and carry out duties independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to complete tasks within critical deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate with staff at all levels and across the university.
Education, Experience, Training And/or Certifications
- bachelor’s degree
- three years of experience working in HR office
- strong customer service orientation
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are encouraged to be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "15884"
- Select "Human Resources Support Specialist"
- Click "Apply"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information for three professional references
Review of Applications
Applications received by 11:59 p.m.Monday September 30th, 2019 are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Legal Notices and Important Information
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. (see TC1 - App. 4 and p. 12)
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Transcripts will be required upon hire.