Outreach Program Associate Director - Center for Research and Innovation in Smart Cities
Position Open Until Filled
Code: 17645 Posted: 08/05/2021
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is a dynamic learning community grounded in academic excellence and focused on student success, diversity, inclusion and community engagement. One of 13 four-year institutions within the University of Wisconsin System, Parkside provides an educational value to our students that’s unparalleled. An affordable, high-quality education is an investment in ones future, and we believe the cost of an education should not prevent any student from achieving his or her educational and professional goals.
UW-Parkside is a great place to start or enhance your career. The campus is nestled in 700 acres of woodland and prairie and two miles west of Lake Michigan in Kenosha, WI. At Parkside we offer competitive pay and benefits, as well an engaging and supportive work environment. Parkside is a community that’s easy to call home. Find out why.
Position Title: Outreach Program Associate Director - Center for Research and Innovation in Smart Cities
Employment Type: Full time salaried Position
Reports To: The Outreach Program Associate Director - Center for Research and Innovation in Smart Cities will report to the Director, Center for Research in Innovation and Smart Cities.
Pay Range: $65-$72K
The Center for Research in Innovation and Smart Cities is a new unit/function at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside. This requires someone with an innovative mindset, willingness to try new things and do what it takes attitude. It is not a tradition university type 9-5 job. In return you will have the opportunity to make things happen, meet unique people, and create the model for universities and innovation hubs of the future.
Essential Job Functions
The Center of Research in Innovation and Smart Cities is a startup function at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside. The goal is to create a center to bring together students, faculty, community, startups, and larger enterprise organizations. The potential to change the way educational institutions operate is part of the larger vision. The center is looking for a person with a do what it takes attitude to help build the Center.
The Center is a new endeavor and as such requires an individual that is willing to roll up their sleeves to do what it takes to make it a success. Some key areas include:
- Event Planning / organizing all aspects of making a successful event happen (acquiring facilities, contacting speakers, selling tickets, getting sponsors, managing technology).
- Marketing / having the ability to get the word out about the Center (Social media knowledge/expertise, email marketing, newsletter creation, copy creation). This includes publicizing events and activities which are local and global in nature.
- Public Relations Skills / Ability to get publicity around activities and events related to the Center. Skill in reaching out to the news media and creating press releases.
- Research Skills / ability to find information through the use of various search tools. An example would be the building of a Smart Cities database of over 100K contacts. Other areas would include finding content to create programs around and where articles can be created from. Another area would be organizing course content and supporting faculty teaching courses related to Innovation and Smart Cities.
- PowerPoint Creation / ability to create presentations to support programming efforts.
- Grants Support / ability to help support the grant efforts the Center is undertaking. This may require putting information together, contacting faculty, and administrators, as well as doing outreach to community partners.
- General Administrative / Cover administrative areas including writing status reports, meeting scheduling, and facilitating meetup sessions.
- Support an Innovation Hub / An innovation hub is being developed and this role provides the opportunity to do everything needed to support it.
- Partnerships Identifies, promotes, and maintains external partnerships to support the outreach programs.
- Scheduling Schedules and secures resources and communicates logistics in support of outreach programs.
- Delivery Delivers outreach program content and materials to community members.
- Implementation/Operations Leads the implementation of programs, policies, and procedures through oversight of day-to-day activities for program staff and student and community volunteers.
- Development Develops and evaluates curriculum and programs and provides recommendations for improvement.
- Budgeting may assist with the monitoring of budgets.
- Cover other areas as they develop and additional duties as assigned.
This role is ideal for a person wanting to make a difference and is not for a person seeking a traditional 9-5 type position. It may require some non-traditional work hours along with innovative approaches to getting things done. This will be a great learning experience and will provide a framework for the individual to take on greater future career responsibilities.
Education – College degree
Experience – Building and running a startup hub, organizing events, knows marketing and social media to a significant extent. and a do what it takes attitude.
Certifications - Open
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Names and contact information for 3 professional references
Review of Applications
Position open until filled.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Legal Notices and Important Information
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. (see TC1 - App. 4 and p. 12)
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
UW-Parkside is committed to providing an environment in which our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff can thrive. We aspire to foster a more equitable and inclusive climate and culture between and among students, faculty, and staff, and to improve justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in every aspect of campus life. Please visit The Office of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion for additional information.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Transcripts will be required upon hire.