Position Is Open Until Filled
Code: 19713 Posted: 05/09/2023
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is a dynamic learning community grounded in academic excellence and focused on student success, diversity, inclusion, and community engagement. One of 13 four-year institutions within the University of Wisconsin System, Parkside provides an educational value to our students that’s unparalleled. An affordable, high-quality education is an investment in one’s future, and we believe the cost of an education should not prevent any student from achieving his or her educational and professional goals. The university is the proud recipient of the 2022 AASCU Excellence & Innovation Award for Student Success and College Completion from The American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU), a testament to years of strategic efforts.
Business Services and the Controller's Office's mission is to support the educational mission of the University of Wisconsin Parkside by providing superior financial and customer service to the University community.
Business Services and the Controller's Office is responsible for assuring the financial integrity of University of Wisconsin Parkside through development and implementation of policies and procedures, transactional analysis and review, internal and external reporting and ensuring compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
This is a place where engaged learning happens. We are an institution that values diversity and lives out our values through our various community and business partnerships.
UW-Parkside is a great place to start or enhance your career. The campus is nestled in 700 acres of woodland and prairie and two miles west of Lake Michigan in Kenosha, WI. At Parkside we offer competitive pay and benefits, as well an engaging and supportive work environment. Parkside is a community that’s easy to call home. Find out why.
Position Title: Accountant I (Project Accountant) (Fixed -Term)
Employment Type: Full time, Academic Staff (fixed- term), Salaried
Term Length: 17 Months (fixed-term employment)
Reports To: Accountant I will report to the Financial Manager and Controller of Business Services
Pay Range: $52,000 - $55,000 annualized
UW-Parkside is seeking skilled Project Accountant in the office of Business Services. As a Business Services team member this project position provides accounting, reporting, and policy services.
The individual in this position provides accounting expertise in one or more business processes, provides direction and coordination of the campus activities, demonstrates a high degree of customer support and relationship management, and promotes operational efficiencies.
This position assists in managing UW Parkside’s day-to-day accounting activities, development and maintenance of accounting records, processing of accounting transactions, and reconciliation of accounts.
Essential Job Functions
Key Job Responsibilities
- This position requires the ability to work independently, and as part of a team and to exercise sound judgment and discretion, in applying and interpreting UW financial policies and procedures.
- Organizes, prepares, and updates basic financial statements, monthly and year-end journal entries, accounts, ledgers, and reports for various financial needs within an automated financial system to ensure accurate recording and reporting of financial transactions
- Prepares and analyzes financial data, reports and records, identifies discrepancies, investigates, recommends, and implements basic solutions as needed
- Serve as a unit liaison to leadership providing financial advice, recommendations, and financial status updates.
- Assists with accounting and reviewing reconciliations, journal entries, schedules, and reports
- Answers questions and provides accounting related information to internal and external stakeholders according to established policies and procedures
- Assists in preparing budgets and financial projections
- Prepares and/or approves financial transactions and payments
Knowledge, Skill & Ability
- Proficiency with Excel functions and ability to create complex spreadsheets and reports.
- Effective organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently.
- Effective professional oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to make independent judgments, solve problems, and set priorities to meet multiple deadlines.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data.
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with diverse groups and individuals including staff, administrators, and outside contacts.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field of study from an accredited institution.
- Experience in accounting or related role.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with various levels of University staff and officials.
- Intermediate Excel skills.
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must be submitted electronically through our employment portal. If you need additional assistance you may contact Human Resources at (262) 595-2204. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. All materials must be added at one time, once submitted you may not edit/add to profile. Please include the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- The names and email addresses of three (3) professional references
Review of Applications
Applications received by 05/23/2023 will be given full consideration. Position is open until filled.
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Legal Notices and Important Information
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. (see TC1 - App. 4 and p. 12)
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
UW-Parkside is committed to providing an environment in which our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff can thrive. We aspire to foster a more equitable and inclusive climate and culture between and among students, faculty, and staff, and to improve justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in every aspect of campus life. Please visit The Office of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion for additional information.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available here. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Transcripts will be required upon hire.