Fall Convocation launches "Real. Amazing." Parkside
Published: August 27, 2014
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside celebrated the beginning of another academic year Thursday with the time-honored tradition of Fall Convocation.
"I am. Real. Amazing." photos on FlickrDuring her convocation message, Chancellor Debbie Ford told more than 300 faculty and staff that the impact of UW-Parkside is felt around the world and across the country. "Amazing work in transformation is around us each day," Ford said. "Transformation is diverse. Transformation is innovative. Transformation, most importantly, is deeply personal.... Each person we touch as a university is living a one-of-a-kind UW-Parkside experience."
Eleven faculty and staff were honored for "Real. Amazing." contributions to the university.
- Laura Mason, Academic Staff Distinguished Service Award
- Elizabeth McGee, Classified Staff Distinguished Service Award
- Krystyna Ruetz, Classified Staff Distinguished Service Award
- Kim White, Advising Excellence Award
- Damian Evans, University of Wisconsin-Parkside Diversity Award
- Helen Rosenberg, Community Engaged Learning and Research Award
- Farida Khan, Excellence in Research and Creative Activity Award
- Peggy James, Faculty Distinguished Service Award
- Gary Wood, Faculty Distinguished Service Award
- Dean Karpowicz, Stella C. Gray Teaching Excellence Award, the university's top teaching award
- Annette Wiesner, Stella C. Gray Teaching Excellence Award, the university's top teaching award
The retiree class of 2014 represented more than 360 years of service to the university. In attendance at convocation:
- Scott Thomson, Associate Professor Biological Sciences, 21 years
- Gloria Sikes, University Services Associate Student Support Services, 21 years
- Lee Goldsberry, Associate Director Campus Technology Services, 30 years
- Steven Johnson, Senior Operator Heating and Chilling Plant, 35 years
- Carole Vopat, Professor of English, 43 years and the university's longest-serving faculty member
English Professor Carole Vopat acknowledges a warm reception as members of the retiree class of 2014 are introduced at convocation.