UW-Parkside Health, Exercise Science and Sport Management Department to Host the Parkside Sport Management Conference on April 9
SOMERS, Wis. – The University of Wisconsin-Parkside Health, Exercise Science and Sport Management Department is set to host the Parkside Sport Management Conference (PSMC) on April 9. This virtual conference is free, open to the public, and begins at 9 a.m.
“After not being able to host a conference in 2020 due to the ongoing pandemic, we are happy to be back in 2021,” said sport management lecturer Bill Boppre. “As much as we would prefer to have the conference in-person again, having a virtual conference allows for us to have speakers, such as our keynote speakers Martin Jarmond and Jim Rooney, that we normally would not be able to.”
The PSMC brings together sport industry professionals, high school students, as well as UW-Parkside students and alumni, to discuss the current trends and future of the sport business.
This year, the conference has two keynote speakers: Martin Jarmond, UCLA Director of Athletics; and Jim Rooney, Pittsburgh Steelers. Jarmon was hired on May 19, 2020 as UCLA’s Alice and Nahum Lainer Family Director of Athletics, becoming the ninth athletic director in school history. Rooney is a business owner, consultant, facilitator, national speaker and published author.
Below is the schedule of events in centra daylight time (CDT). Although the event is free, attendees must register in advance to attend. For more information, visit uwp.edu/psmc.
8:45 AM | Welcome from UW-Parkside Chancellor Ford
9 AM | Conference Commissioner Panel
- Kris Dunbar, GLIAC Commissioner
- Danielle Harris, WIAC Commissioner
- Chris Barker UW-Parkside Deputy Director of Athletics
10 AM | Current Issues for Intercollegiate Athletes
- Dr. Paul Anderson, Marquette Law School Professor
- Dr. Joseph Cooper, UMass Boston Associate Professor
- Dr. Barbara Osborne, UNC Professor
- Dr. Richard Southall, Univ. of South Carolina Professor
- Dr. Megan Parietti UW-Parkside Associate Professor
11 AM | Keynote Speaker - Martin Jarmond, UCLA Director of Athletics
12 PM | Keynote Speaker - Jim Rooney, Co-Partner at Rooney Consulting, Pittsburgh Steelers
1 PM | Future of Sport Communication Panel
- Lance Allan, TMJ4 Sports
- Tyler Barnes, Milwaukee Brewers SVP of Communications
- Wayne Larrivee, Radio Voice of the Green Bay Packers
- Charlie Larson, Milwaukee Admirals VP of Communications
- Bill Boppre UW-Parkside Sport Management Lecturer
2:15 PM | Business of Golf in Wisconsin Panel
- Rob Jansen, WSGA Executive Director
- Michael O'Reilly, Director of Golf Operations for Destination Kohler
- Tyler Wollberg, UW-Parkside Men's Golf Coach
3 PM | Career Panel
4 PM | Closing Remarks
Communications and Media Relations Specialist