Dignity and Respect
The Dignity & Respect message is designed to help us have respectful interactions with others. The D&R initiative is to help:
- Understand how we see ourselves, how we see others, and how our filters guide our behavior toward others.
- Respond to others in a culturally appropriate manner and work through differences together.
- Understand how our interactions with and perceptions of others influence our decisions in the workplace.
- Understand our role in making organizations better places for ALL to work—with all of our diferences.
- Attract and retain diverse students, faculty, and staff.
What Can You Do?
7 Pillars of Dignity and Respect
START WITH YOU
Self-Awareness is the first step toward becoming a Champion. Understand that our filters guide how we see ourselves and others.
SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF
Understand the concepts of intent vs. impact. Become mindful of how you respond to others and be responsible for your words and actions.
BUILD CULTURAL AWARENESS
Respond to others in a culturally appropriate manner. Treat others the way they want to be treated.
FIND COMMON GROUND
Work through differences and gain agreement, while maintaining dignity and respect. Acknowledge the value of different perspectives.
JOIN THE TEAM
Create interactions on teams that are respectful of individual differences, build trust, limit bias and favoritism, and strive for the best overall outcomes.
LEAD THE WAY
Make inclusion, dignity, and respect a part of your day-to-day practices.
DO THE RIGHT THING
Do your part to make your organization, school, community and sports team a better place for all to work, learn, live and play.
30 Tips to Practice
Dignity and respect are crucial to building and sustaining a climate in which everyone feels included, valued and appreciated. Every voice counts. Be part of the positive change. Here are 30 Tips of Dignity and Respect, practice one each day:
- Start with you
- Sweat the small stuff
- Say “Hello”
- Say “Thank you”
- Build cultural awareness
- Treat others the way they want to be treated
- Make a new friend
- Demonstrate mutual respect
- Find common ground
- Communicate respectfully
- Practice patience
- Seek understanding
Share your point of view
16. Join the team
17. Get someone else’s point of view
18. Be open
19. Be flexible
20. Reinvent the wheel
21. Be a relationship builder
22. Lead the way
24. Remember we all make mistakes
25. Do the right thing
26. Become a mentor
27. Lend a hand
28. Live a healthy life
29. Be a champion of dignity and respect
email@example.com | #ParksideRespect
Give It. Be It. Expect Respect.
Dignity and respect are crucial to building and sustaining a climate in which everyone feels included, valued and appreciated. Every voice counts. Be part of the positive change.