Policy 16

University of Wisconsin-Parkside
Drug Free Schools and Communities Act
Policy #16

The Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989 (Public Law 101-228) require that, as a condition of receiving any federal funds or form of financial assistance, colleges and universities must certify that it has adopted and implemented a program to prevent the unlawful possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs or alcohol. The intent of the following information is to fulfill the legal requirements of federal law by providing each University of Wisconsin-Parkside employee and student information on institutional drug and alcohol policies, relevant state and federal laws, long-term health effects of substance abuse, and local treatment resources.

Standards of Conduct and University Sanctions Concerning Illicit Drugs and Alcohol

The University of Wisconsin system and the University of Wisconsin-Parkside prohibit the unlawful possession, use, distribution, manufacture or dispensing of illicit drugs and alcohol by students and employees on university property or as part of university activities.

The use or possession of alcoholic beverages is prohibited on university premises, except in university residence halls as regulated by policy and as expressly permitted by the Chancellor under institutional regulations, in accordance with s. UWS 18.06(13)(by), Wisconsin Administrative Code. The unlawful uses, possession, distribution, manufacture or dispensing of illicit drugs (e.g. Controlled substances as defined in Chapter 161, Wisconsin Statutes,) is prohibited in accordance with s. UWS 18.10, Wisconsin Administrative Code.

Violation of these provisions by a student may lead to the imposition of disciplinary sanctions, up to and including suspension or expulsion, under s. UWS 17.06(1)(c), Wisconsin Administrative Code. UW-Parkside employees are also subject to disciplinary sanctions for violation of these provisions occurring on university property or the worksite or during work time, up to and including termination from employment. Disciplinary sanctions are initiated and imposed in accordance with procedural requirements of either UWPF Chapter VII-Faculty Rights and Responsibilities for faculty, the Academic Staff Policies and Procedures Chapters 8 or 10 for academic staff, or the appropriate provisions of the current collective bargaining agreement or pertinent civil service regulations for classified staff. Referral for prosecution under criminal law is also possible. Further, violations of ss. UWS 18.06(13) and 18.10, Wisconsin Administrative Code may result in additional penalties as allowed under chapter 18, Wisconsin Administrative Code.

UW-Parkside faculty and classified and unclassified staff who are convicted of any criminal drug statute violation occurring in the workplace must notify their Vice/Assistance Chancellor, dean, director or department chair within 5 days of the conviction if they are employed at the time of the conviction.

University Resources

The University is committed to supporting the health and well being of its students, employees and their families. To that end it provides the following free services and resources.

For University employees, UWP provides an important and valuable benefit, the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). The EAP provides a wide variety of assistance to staff, faculty, and their families in times of setback or crisis. Crites & Associates, a private, consulting, training and EAP organization with EAP professionals has been contracted to provide this service. The program is provided free of charge to the employee. Informational brochures are readily available through Human Resources. The EAP professional will talk with you over the phone or schedule an appointment at your convenience. To use the service simply call 414-545-1160 or 800-742-2858.There is no charge to the employee for this service.

The Bureau of Substance Abuse Services of the Wisconsin Department of Health and Social Services provides a complete directory of the statewide facilities that provide treatment for alcohol and other drug addition. The UW-Parkside Student Health & Counseling Center has a copy available for reference. Personal copies of the booklet detaining these resources can be obtained by calling 608-266-2717 or by writing:

Wisconsin Clearinghouse
315 N. Henry Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53703

The Student Health & Counseling Center offers professional licensed counselor who are also Certified Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse counselors for UW-Parkside students. The Center also acts as a resource for faculty and staff who work closely with students and may be the first to notice problem situations. The Center is located in the building east of Tallent Hall. For questions and appointments please call 262- 595-2366.

Scroll to top