Marketing and Communication Administrative Assistant
University of Wisconsin-Parkside
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Marketing and Communication Administrative Assistant.
The Marketing and Communication Administrative Assistant provides support and oversight of the daily administrative activities for the Executive Director for Marketing and Communication, and the Marketing and Communication team. The position includes day-to-day management of the Executive Director's schedule; completion of special projects; writing/editing communications; and serves as the liaison between the Executive Director and faculty and staff, students, elected officials, UW colleagues, and the public.
The person in this position must perform duties with minimum supervision, exercise motivation and initiative in decision-making; have the ability to exhibit creativity and self-direction with a capacity for independent work and managing multiple projects as well as working as part of a team. Must possess the willingness to accept and welcome change in a fast-paced office environment. Must be able to demonstrate good organizational skills, paying conscientious attention to detail regarding campus deadlines and tracking tasks delegated to the Executive Director and the Marketing and Communication team. A positive, forward-focused, and professional attitude is required. Working knowledge of UW-Parkside and UW System policies and procedures, functions, organizations, and regulations are necessary. The position requires a high degree of confidentiality, responsibility and independence in completing responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Administrative Support to Executive Director for Marketing and Communication, and the Marketing and Communication team
- Communicate, handle and address incoming and outgoing communications (verbal, mail, digital) on behalf of the Executive Director. Possess detailed knowledge of issues, correct and accurate interpretation of communication, ability to provide temporary or complete satisfaction by evaluating the situation and independently determining the best course of action. Ability to work with confidential and sensitive information and records. Commitment to the highest ethical standards.
- Coordinate the Executive Director's calendar for requests, including adding and editing events, meetings, confirming attendees, scheduling rooms, setting up conference calls and managing multi-media needs requiring interaction with both internal and external executives and assistants.
- Supervise financial operations and purchases to ensure compliance with UWS fiscal and procurement policy. Responsible for purchasing card and compliance with rules, practices, policies and procedures as implemented.
- Make all travel arrangements for the Executive Director. Prepare travel expense reports upon return providing all documentation.
- Prepare and gather information and materials for the Executive Director necessary for meetings, discussions and decision-making.
- Serve as liaison between Executive Director and all constituents: Regents, UWSA administrators, state, regional, and local government officials, faculty, academic staff, university staff, students, parents, and alumni.
- Work with appropriate staff to launch external campus messages.
- Review and proof Executive Director's correspondence, finalize and distribute.
- Develop and manage the Executive Director’s Network Drive/One Drive as tools for department and inter-department communication, follow-up, and documentation.
- Work with the Executive Director to provide consultation, advice and recommendations regarding ongoing projects which may include commencement and convocation ceremonies, emeriti/retiree luncheons, etc.
- Provide leadership for the coordination and planning for hosting the Regent meetings on campus, UWS conferences, regional outreach events, and legislature visits. Provide support for the management of logistics for executive events such as open forums and listening sessions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Communications and Events
- University Communications
- Maintain Strategic Communications files on Network Drive/One Drive and fully leverage systems to secure records of final communications – Chancellor, all-campus, media, crisis and budget, etc.
- Coordinate local and regional media weather alert systems; work in collaboration with UW-Parkside Police.
- Manage items for all campus communications – weather, security, obits etc.
- Back-up for management of Hwy 31 sign and campus video boards.
- Media Relations
- Develop and sustain accurate media contact lists.
- Send/issue all approved releases and track all on Network Drive/One Drive.
- Coordinate development of news releases on web site and update with approved releases across calendar year.
- Support any media events or press conferences.
- Legislative Liaison
- Manage and update listing of legislative contingent contacts including staff members.
- Work with University Advancement to sustain accurate listing of legislative contacts in Raisers Edge.
- Manage annual communication plan for legislative contingent (commencement communications, convocation etc.).
- Events and External Sponsorships
- Support “table” development at external events, track RSVPs and record attendance and outcomes on Network Drive/One Drive.
- Ensure marketing/ad collateral is secured and delivered to external parties as required.
- Support payment of all sponsorships and dues – tracking on Network Drive/One Drive.
Standards of Performance
- Adequacy, timeliness, and accuracy of assigned tasks.
- Timeliness of meeting goals.
- Willingness to make suggestions and soundness of those suggestions.
- Soundness of judgment and operational decisions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work while being responsive to University personnel.
- Timely and effective communication of problems and opportunities. This includes the responsibility for identifying and communicating information of importance as soon as possible.
- Integrity in dealing with customers, students, vendors, employees, and management.
- Punctuality, attendance, effective use of time, and willingness to work overtime when necessary.
- Maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Willingness to assist with special projects and other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge And Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal communication skills; ability to interact successfully with faculty, staff and students as well as external constituents-regional, statewide and national.
- Understanding of purchasing procedures, financial operations and budgeting.
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and discretion with confidential information.
- Ability to operate independently and to independently set priorities to meet the demands of the position.
- Knowledge of various rules, policies and procedures that impact organization and operation of the university.
- Excellent customer orientation and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of various software programs; computer literate with the ability to learn new software applications. Excellent telephone protocol.
Education, Experience, Training And/or Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience in Higher Education
- Knowledge of University operations
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator:https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
Review of Applications
Applications received by Sunday, September 24th, 2018 are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
HOW TO APPLY:
All applications are to be submitted electronically through our employment portal.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
Job Opening ID: “14721”
Select “Marketing and Communication Administrative Assistant”
You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter addressing qualifications
- Names and contact information for three professional references
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act.
Note: Criminal Background Check - The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applicants should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University’s primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
If you have application questions or need accommodations call or email:
Office (262) 595-2308