Graduate Programs and Policies

University Governance 262-595-2384

Jump to a section:
Graduate Programs Admission Graduate Policies Course Policies Grades Transcripts

Graduate Programs

Master’s Degree Programs

The university offers the following graduate degree programs.
  • Applied Biotechnology (M.S.)

  • Applied Professional Studies (M.A.)
  • Biological Sciences (M.S.)
  • Business Administration (M.B.A.)
  • Clinical Mental Health Counseling (M.S.)
  • Computer and Information Systems (M.S.)
  • Health and Wellness Management (M.S.)
  • Healthcare Administration (M.S.)
  • Sport Management (M.S.)
  • Sustainable Management (M.S.)

Additional graduate course work is offered in other fields of study.

The faculty of UW-Parkside has set minimum academic requirements that must be fulfilled by all graduate students. Specific graduate programs may have additional requirements spelled out in greater detail in the description of their programs. This section contains a section on the university-wide graduate study requirements and procedures. Many policies are common to graduate and undergraduate students and may also be listed in the Policies section of this catalog.


Graduate Certificate Programs

Graduate certificate programs are designed for students at one of the following levels: students who have completed a baccalaureate or higher level degree from a regionally accredited institution and are enrolled for graduate credit; or students who are enrolled simultaneously in a graduate degree program.

Students must meet the admission requirements of a degree seeking or non-degree seeking graduate student to be eligible to earn a graduate certificate. At least 75% of the credits must be earned after completion of a baccalaureate or higher degree and students must attain a GPA of 3.00 in the certificate courses.

Certificate programs are designed to develop a particular expertise or set of skills. Graduate certificate programs will require a minimum of 12 graduate level credits; no more than 25% of the credits can be at the 500 or 600 levels. A minimum of nine credits in a certificate program must be taken at UW Parkside for program residency. Individual departments and programs may require more than nine credits to be taken at UW Parkside. Certificate programs should not be confused with certification or licensure programs which lead to certification by an outside agency.

Center for Professional Studies
  • Smart City Policy and Civic Partnerships



Admission is a judgment the faculty of the program makes regarding the probability of the student’s success in graduate work. This judgment is usually based on the student’s undergraduate and post-graduate academic record and evidence, which varies by program, such as work experience, letters of reference, and aptitude tests. This judgment will be based on the faculty’s assessment of the student’s current academic abilities.

Some students may be asked to repeat some previous courses, particularly if a considerable time has elapsed since the completion of an applicant’s prior studies. Other conditions may also be placed on a student’s admission.

Admission as a Degree-Seeking Student

Students seeking a UW-Parkside graduate degree should apply online using the University of Wisconsin System Graduate Application. They should submit the form and the non-refundable application fee and arrange to have official transcripts, test scores, and any other data required by their specific program sent to the Office of Admission. Based on the faculty’s judgment, the university will notify students whether they are admitted and of any conditions placed on their course of study.

Students applying for admission for graduate study must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and an undergraduate grade-point average (GPA) acceptable to the program to which they are applying. Degree candidates must furnish a full set of official transcripts of college-level and post- graduate work as part of the application. If a graduate program requires satisfactory test scores on the Graduate Management Admissions Test or the Graduate Record Examination, applicants must make their own arrangements to take the tests and must pay the appropriate examination fee.

Admission with Probationary Status

For applicants who do not meet the admission criteria, admission with probationary status may be granted after taking into consideration the applicant’s special qualifications and circumstances. Students admitted on probation will be on probation for their first 9 semester credits.

A student who is admitted on probation is required to attain a minimum GPA of 3.00 on the first 9 credit hours of course work completed at UW-Parkside. Students who do not meet the above requirement will be dropped from the program.

Admission as a Non-Degree-Seeking Student

Qualified students who hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and who meet course prerequisites may be admitted by the program to enroll in graduate courses subject to the availability of space in the course. Non-Degree seeking students (also called special students) must go to the program office to be advised. Requirements for admission vary with the program. Special students wishing to change to degree-seeking status must submit the full set of credentials required of all applicants. A maximum of 12 graduate credits earned as a special student may be applied toward a UW-Parkside graduate degree, although individual programs may have their own more restrictive stipulations.


Consortial M.B.A. Program

Students seeking to earn a degree in the M.B.A. consortial program are formally the other university’s degree-seeking students and will be held accountable for any polices in place at the other university. Students should also apply for admission to UW-Parkside as a non-degree-seeking student (see above). These students take a combination of the other university’s and UW-Parkside’s graduate courses through UW-Parkside and transfer the UW-Parkside courses to the other school toward completion of the degree.

Audit Students

Subject to the availability of space and the permission of the course instructor, a limited number of audit students may be admitted to graduate courses. Audit students must be admitted and meet the same admission standards as non-degree-seeking students. Audit-only students are admitted through the same process as special students and are also required to seek advising before registering.


International Students

Students from approximately 25 countries currently attend UW-Parkside. The Office of Admissions assists international students in completing the admissions process and determines eligibility for scholarship assistance.
Admission of international students depends on scholastic achievement, English language proficiency, and the student’s ability to secure the required financial support. To apply, students must submit the following: The University of Wisconsin System International application, official transcripts in English translation of all post-secondary institutions of higher education; professional credential service evaluation (see below); the required application fee; and official Statements of Financial Support. Students whose prior education was not conducted in English are required to submit proof of language proficiency. English proficiency may be demonstrated by submission of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examinations.  Minimum TOEFL score of 79 (internet based) or Minimum IELTS score of 6 is required.  

Official college or university transcripts must be submitted to UW-Parkside as well as a professional credential  service evaluation that is recognized through NACES (  The following credential evaluations services are recommended:  Education Credentials Evaluators, Inc (ECE), World Education Services (WES), or SpanTran.  An additional fee will be charged by the evaluation service.
All students needing student visas to enter or remain in the United States while studying at UW-Parkside must complete additional forms. All forms must be in by May 1 for September admission or November 1 for January admission. International students must be aware that if their visa requires them to be a full-time student, then they should confirm that their graduate program would accommodate a full-time schedule.


Undergraduate Students in Graduate Courses

Graduate credit is available only to those who have been admitted as graduate students or to seniors admitted to a joint graduate/undergraduate status. Certain courses have two numbers, depending on whether they are taken for undergraduate or graduate credit. Under special circumstances, undergraduates in their last year may be admitted to courses offered for graduate students, subject to prior approval by their advisor, the course instructor, head of the graduate program, and the graduate dean. Credits earned in the graduate course will count toward the 120 undergraduate credits required for a bachelor’s degree. Students who have earned credits in excess of the number needed for a bachelor’s degree may petition a graduate program to accept these courses at the time of admission to a graduate program.


Transfer of Graduate Credit

Applicants who have taken graduate courses at another institution must submit official transcripts of this work as part of their credentials.  UW-Parkside will accept no more than 12 graduate credits earned at another regionally accredited institution. Individual departments and programs may accept fewer than 12 credits. Only credits earned with a grade of B (3.00 on a 4.00 scale) or higher will be accepted. Individual programs may impose more stringent requirements.

Only credits applicable to the UW-Parkside degree requirements, as determined by the program faculty, will be accepted. Program faculty may request to see textbooks, course syllabi, examinations, etc., in making the determination and may also request the student to take an examination. Students already admitted or enrolled at UW-Parkside must have prior consent from their graduate program faculty in order to take graduate work at another institution and transfer it to UW-Parkside. For further information, contact the appropriate graduate program.



Master’s Degree Requirements

To receive a master’s degree from UW-Parkside, students must meet the following minimum requirements (note that individual programs may impose more stringent requirements):

  1. Complete at least 30 graduate credits, of which no more than 12 may be transferred from another institution.
  2. Have an overall GPA of at least 3.00 for all graduate work taken at UW-Parkside that is applicable to the degree program.
  3. Satisfy all requirements of the graduate degree program.

Students may take no more than seven years to complete a degree, beginning with the semester in which they complete their first course as a UW-Parkside degree-seeking graduate student, unless they apply for and receive an extension through the appropriate graduate program. Some programs may impose a shorter time limit. To graduate, students must file a request for graduation. The request form, signed by the student’s advisor and filed in the appropriate graduate program office, initiates the final review of the candidate’s records. Students also need to apply to graduate with the Office of the Registrar.

Application to Graduate

In order to graduate, students must submit an application to graduate to the Office of the Registrar. A one-time, non-refundable fee, which is applied toward costs associated with graduation, will be charged. Please check the Office of the Registrar’s web page for details about graduation and commencement.

Degree with Distinction

Students completing all requirements for the degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.83 or higher will be awarded the master’s degree “with distinction.”

Adding a Course

During the first week of the term, students may add any course for which they have met the prerequisites. During the second week, appropriate courses may be added with the written consent of the instructor (or a SOLAR permission number). Beginning the 11th day of classes, a student cannot add a course without written permission of the instructor, the department chair and the dean. The Office of the Registrar will determine comparable deadlines for courses less than a semester in length. Please check the website for comparable Flexible Option Program policies and guidelines.

Dropping a Course

A student may drop any course during the first half of the semester/subscription period. The Office of the Registrar will determine comparable deadlines for courses less than a semester in length and for subscription periods in the Flexible Option Program.

Beginning with the 8th week through the 11th week of the semester, a student may request permission to drop a course only for extraordinary, non-academic reasons. Before requesting permission to drop, the student should discuss his/her circumstances with the instructor. Any such request must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar no later than the Friday of the 11th week of instruction. The Office of the Registrar will determine comparable deadlines for courses less than a semester in length and for subscription periods in the Flexible Option Program. The request must include a written explanation of the circumstances.

Requests denied or received after the deadline may be reviewed by the Academic Actions Committee. Granting of requests by the Academic Actions Committee is not automatic. A student should not assume that his/her request will be granted.

An instructor may request that the registrar drop a student from a course if the student does not meet the stated prerequisites or if the student has not attended the course during the first week of classes and has not notified the instructor. The instructor must submit the request by the date specified on the administrative drop form. However, it is still the students’ responsibility to make sure that they have been officially dropped from any class.

Flexible Option students will be dropped from all competency sets after the 10th day of a subscription period for non-payment.

A student who never attends (or stops attending) a course in which he/she has enrolled and who does not drop the course through the appropriate office will receive a failing grade.

A student who drops a course after the fourth week of a semester will receive a transcript notation of “W.” (In the case of courses less than a semester in length such as winterim, summer, or flexible option competency sets, the W notation will be applied if the drop occurs after one-third of the course/subscription period has passed.)

Please check the website for more details of comparable Flexible Option Program policies and guidelines.

Fees for Dropping a Course

After the 10th day of classes, a student will be charged a per credit fee for dropping classes. The Office of the Registrar will determine the comparable deadlines for courses less than a semester in length. Refer to the website for more information.

Retaken Courses

Students are allowed to take a course one time as a retake. Courses taken as a retake are distinguished from repeatable courses which have the same course number (but different content), or are repeatable courses as noted in the course description.

The grade of record for a retake is the most recent grade earned when the course is completed; this is also the grade used in the calculation of the GPA. Retaking a course will not remove the initial grade from showing on the transcript; however it will remove the credits and grade points from the calculation of the cumulative GPA. Permission to retake a course more than one time may be granted by an assigned advisor.

A student may request that a course taken subsequently at another university be counted as a retake for a course taken previously at UW-Parkside. Such a request must be submitted to the appropriate department chair to certify that the transfer course is equivalent to the course taken at UW-Parkside. If the transfer course is certified as equivalent; the course, credits and grade will be applied as a retake.

Note: Retaking courses that have already been completed with a grade of D- or better may have financial aid implications. Students are encouraged to consult with a financial aid counselor.

Repeatable Courses

Repeatable courses are those that may be taken more than once for credit, such as special topics, independent studies, internships, and other selected courses. Courses that may be repeated for credit are designated as such in the course description in this catalog.

Cross-Listed Courses

Cross-listed courses are those that are offered under two or more departments and which have the same title and course description. Cross-listed courses may count toward general university requirements and/or may satisfy the requirements of two or more majors. Each cross-listed course will satisfy the same requirement as its counterpart; therefore, a student who is unable to enroll in a cross-listed course under a specific department heading may enroll in its cross listing and fulfill the same academic requirement. This rule applies to cross-listings which were in effect at the time the course was taken and applies regardless of which discipline is listed on the student’s transcript.

Course Prerequisites

A prerequisite is a requirement that a student must have completed prior to enrollment in a specific course and is intended to ensure that a student has the knowledge and experience required for successful course completion. The most common prerequisite is completion of a prior course. Other prerequisites include concurrent registration (i.e. enrollment in a specific course simultaneous with another), placement examinations, and the instructor’s consent. Students may enroll in any course for which they have completed the necessary prerequisites or obtained the consent of the instructor. Students who lack the prerequisites but believe they have equivalent backgrounds should consult the instructor before enrolling in a course. A student who enrolls in a course without satisfying the prerequisites and who has not consulted the instructor may be dropped from the class at the instructor’s discretion. All prerequisites are listed in the catalog; the course schedule also lists course prerequisites as well as those required for enrollment in a particular course section.

Withdrawal from the University

A student may withdraw from the university during the first half of semester/subscription period. The Office of the Registrar will determine comparable deadlines for courses less than a semester in length. After withdrawal, no record will be kept of a student’s grade in his/her courses for that semester/subscription period. After the deadline, a student may request permission to withdraw only for extraordinary non-academic reasons. Please check the website or with your advisor for current procedures.

Leave Status

Students who do not complete any graduate courses within a period of 12 months will be dropped as a graduate student unless they apply for and are granted a leave of absence from graduate work. Dropped students or students exceeding the terms of their leave may apply for readmission to the graduate program.

Attendance Policy

Students are expected to attend all classes. Individual absences from class may be excused only by the instructor. Consult the course syllabus for proper procedures for notifying the instructor in case of emergency.

University-Sponsored Activities
UW-Parkside, while prioritizing academics, believes in the education of the whole person and affirms the educational value of university-sponsored activities that enhance the educational experience such as, but not limited to, participation in the performing arts, music ensembles, student government/student leadership, intercollegiate athletics, study abroad, and attendance at professional/scholarly meetings. The UW- Parkside faculty, staff, students, and administrators work together to reach a compromise that respects both the need for students to attend class and the benefits of participating in university-sponsored activities that enrich students’ educational experiences. In the spirit of these shared values,

it is the responsibility of students to:
  • attend classes and complete all assignments according to the expectations of their instructors;
  • be aware of the policies of each of their instructors;
  • be aware of policies regarding adding/dropping of courses, and withdrawal from the university;
  • inform their instructors well in advance of any anticipated absences for university-sanctioned activities;
  • maintain communication with their instructors throughout the course;
  • arrange to make up missed work in a timely manner at the direction of the instructor;
it is the responsibility of faculty to:
  • establish policies that recognize the value of participation in university-sponsored activities, which might include flexibility in allowing students to submit assignments or take exams at alternative times or venues;
  • provide students their attendance expectations in the syllabus at the beginning of the semester
it is the responsibility of sponsors of university-sanctioned events to:
  • recognize the priority of academics and that some courses are experiential in nature, and therefore do not lend themselves to flexible absence and makeup policies;
  • schedule events and travel schedules in such a way as to minimize absences from class as much as possible;
  • require students to inform the faculty well in advance of any absences or tardiness;
  • offer their assistance in accommodating the needs of students who must submit assignments or take exams.

Military Training
In addition to university-sponsored activities, UW-Parkside recognizes that a number of students are attending classes while serving in the military as active duty service members, National Guard members, reservists, or as members of an ROTC program. On occasion, these students will be required to miss class due to military training (these differ from Federal Title 10 Activation or Transfer orders). It is understood that often times these training obligations are scheduled in advance, while occasionally they are deemed necessary with little advance notice to our military-connected students. We also understand that our military-connected students do not have the choice whether to participate or not in these trainings. UW-Parkside encourages our military-connected students to inform their faculty immediately when they learn of these obligations for training. When communicated in advance, these absences should be treated in the manner described above.

When disagreements regarding this policy occur between a student and a faculty member, the issue will be first referred to the faculty member’s department chair in writing, followed by the college dean, for review and resolution.

Accommodation of Religious Observances

In accordance with Wisconsin state law 36.43, UW-Parkside provides for the reasonable accommodation of a student’s sincerely held religious beliefs with regard to all examinations and other academic requirements and also provides a means by which a student can conveniently and confidentially notify an instructor of potential conflicts.

A student with a conflict between an academic requirement and a religious observance must be given an alternative means of meeting the academic requirement, subject to the following:

  1. To be granted an alternative means of meeting an academic requirement, students must notify their instructors, within the first two weeks of class, of specific days or dates of which they will request relief from an academic requirement. (The instructor must treat this information as confidential.)
  2. Instructors are not obligated to provide alternate arrangements for an individual before the regularly scheduled event.
  3. Instructors may set reasonable limits on the total number of occurrences claimed by any one student.

Absence from classes or examinations due to religious observance does not relieve students from responsibility for any part of the course work required during the period of absence.

Students who believe they have been denied reasonable accommodation should contact the person identified by the department or academic program to hear such complaints, usually the department chair or academic program director. If the issue is not resolved at the department/program level, students may proceed to the office of the appropriate academic dean and, if it is still unresolved, to the office of the provost.

Students Called to Active Duty Military Service

Students subjected to involuntary Federal Title 10 activation or transfer (called to active duty military service) after the beginning of a term may elect to drop their courses and receive a full refund for courses still in progress or may opt to remain enrolled in some or all of their courses. The student may either request an “incomplete” with the understanding that the coursework be completed upon return from active military duty or request that a final grade be assigned based upon work completed to date.

These options may not be equally viable for all classes, depending on timing, how much work remains to be completed, or whether a final exam constitutes a major portion of the grade. Students should consult with the instructor to determine the most appropriate option.


Course Policies

Credit Load

The normal load for a full-time graduate student is 9 to 12 credits for the fall and spring semesters and 5 or 6 credits for the summer term. For students who work full time, no more than 6 credits in the fall and spring terms and 3 in the summer is advisable. Students enrolling for more than 12 credits during the academic year or 6 credits during summer school must receive prior approval from the appropriate graduate program director.

Waivers and Appeals

Students who wish to obtain a waiver or to appeal an interpretation of an academic regulation should first discuss the matter with the appropriate faculty member or the director of the appropriate graduate program. The graduate dean is also available for advice. To pursue the matter, students should then file a written request with the appropriate graduate program that approves program-specific requirements and recommends actions on others. The Graduate Studies Committee acts upon recommendations involving university-wide regulations or further appeals. Students are entitled to appear before the committee on their own behalf. Requests should be based on exceptional circumstances beyond the control of the student.


University Numbering System

The University of Wisconsin-Parkside has adopted the following guidelines on course numbering:

010-090 Developmental, not for degree credit.
100-299 Level I, Lower Division (intended for freshmen and sophomores).
300-499 Level II, Upper Division (intended for juniors and seniors).
500-699 Graduate level but can be paired with undergraduate level.
700-799 Master’s level, open to graduate students only.

Courses with an “X” at the end of the number (i.e. 100X) indicate that they are part of a flexible option program.

Table 1. Grades

Total Quality Points
Grade   1cr 2cr 3cr 4cr 5cr
A Excellent 4.00 8.00 12.00 16.00 20.00
A-   3.67 7.34 11.01 14.68 18.35
B+   3.33 6.66 9.99 13.32 16.65
B Good 3.00 6.00 9.00 12.00 15.00
B-   2.67 5.34 8.01 10.68 13.35
C+   2.33 4.66 6.99 9.32 11.65
C Satisfactory 2.00 4.00 6.00 8.00 10.00
C-   1.67 3.34 5.01 6.68 8.35
D+   1.33 2.66 3.99 5.32 6.65
D Poor 1.00 2.00 3.00 4.00 5.00
D-   0.67 1.34 2.01 2.68 3.35
F Failure 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
MD* Mastered
4.00 8.00 12.00 16.00 20.00
M* Mastered 3.00 6.00 9.00 12.00 15.00

* Grades utilized in the flexible option degree degree-completion program only.



At UW-Parkside, letter grades are used, including plus (+) and minus (-) grades. Each letter grade carries a certain number of quality points per credit. A grade of B, for example, is worth three quality points per credit, so that a student receiving a B in a 3-credit course would have earned nine quality points. See Table 1 (above) for a scale of grades and points used by the university.

The following grades are assigned no grade points and are not counted when the GPA is calculated.
AUD Audit Satisfactory
AU- Audit Unsatisfactory
CR For credit only
I Incomplete (temporary)
IX Incomplete Extended (temporary)
IP In progress (used for incoming transfer credits only)
NA Not attempted (for flexible option competencies only)*
N/C No credit awarded
NG Not graded
NR No report submitted (temporary)
PR Progress (for Flexible Option Program only)
RT Retaken
S Satisfactory (only for special circumstances)
U Unsatisfactory (only for special circumstances)
W Withdrawn


Unusual Grades

Audit (AUD/AU-)
This grade is assigned for satisfactory or unsatisfactory performance by students who are auditing a course.

Credit (CR) / No Credit (N/C)
These grades designate satisfactory or unsatisfactory performance in the special credit/no-credit courses described earlier.

Incomplete (I)
This temporary grade is assigned to courses/flexible option competency sets/projects for students who, due to extraordinary circumstances (e.g. family/medical emergencies), have requested an incomplete for a course/flexible option competency sets/projects that is near completion to allow the student extra time to complete. A grade of Incomplete is assigned at the discretion of the instructor, guided by the following policies:

  • A grade of Incomplete may be reported for a student who has maintained a passing grade until near the end of the course/project and who then, because of unusual and substantiated cause beyond the student’s control, is unable to take or complete the final examination, or to complete some limited amount of work. The grade of Incomplete must be accompanied by the instructor’s description of the work that has yet to be completed.
  • Normally a request for an incomplete must be made by the student to the instructor prior to the final day of the term/subscription period. However, an Incomplete may be initiated by an instructor on a student’s behalf if the instructor believes there is cause to do so.
  • The amount of time a student has to complete the work and remove the grade of Incomplete shall be at the discretion of the instructor. Normally that time period shall not extend beyond the last day of classes of the following term/subscription period. Summer school is not counted as a semester for purposes of removing the grade of Incomplete.
  • If the Incomplete is not removed within the specified time, the Incomplete will lapse to an F at the end of the term following the term in which the Incomplete was assigned. Flexible option Incompletes will lapse to a grade of PR at the end of three months.
  • Flexible option program students requesting an Incomplete must submit official documentation related to the extraordinary circumstances within 30 calendar days of the end of the subscription period. Students receiving a grade of Incomplete must master the project within three months of the end of the subscription period in which the grade was recorded. An Incomplete project that is not mastered within three months will be changed to a grade of PR. A request to change an already recorded grade to a grade of Incomplete will not be carried out unless the instructor files a Request for an Incomplete
  • A student will not graduate with an Incomplete on his/her transcript if failure in that course/project would make the student ineligible to graduate.

Mastered (M)
This is a permanent grade assigned in the flexible option degree degree-completion program when a student meets or exceeds the stated criteria for mastery of a project.*

Mastered with Distinction (MD)
This is a permanent grade assigned in the flexible option degree degree-completion program when a student reaches a distinguished level of achievement for the stated criteria for mastery of a project.*

Not Attempted (NA)
This is a permanent grade assigned to flexible option program competencies when a student does not attempt the competency during the subscription period in which they are registered. This grade is permanent during an individual subscription period but does not count toward degree or calculation of grade point average because it is a competency level grade rather than at a competency set level.*

No Report Submitted (NR)
This temporary grade is assigned to indicate that the grade for a particular class was not reported by the grading deadline for the semester. If no grade is submitted by the instructor before the last day of classes for the next semester (summer school is not counted as a semester for this purpose) a grade of NR shall become a permanent grade of F with normal effect on the student’s GPA and earned credits.

Progress (PR)
This is a permanent grade assigned in flexible option programs when a student completes part but not all of the requirements toward competency/mastery by the end of the subscription period. This grade is permanent but does not count toward degree or calculation of grade point average.*

Withdrawn (W)
This is a permanent grade assigned for a student who drops a course after the fourth week of a semester. In the case of time frames that are less than a semester in length such as winterim, summer, or flexible option subscription periods, the W notation will be applied if the drop occurs after one-third of the class/subscription period has passed. For students in a flexible option program, a W notation will be applied if they withdraw from a project after the 25th day of the first month of the subscription period through the 15th of the second month. Withdrawals are not awarded after the 15th day of the second month.

*Please check the website for more details of comparable Flexible Option Program policies and guidelines.


Grade Point Average (GPA)

To make it possible to compute term/subscription period, and cumulative averages for grades in courses/flexible option projects or competency sets carrying various amounts of credit, each letter grade carries a certain number of quality points per credit. A grade of A, for example, is worth four quality points per credit, so that a student receiving an A in a 3-credit course will have earned 12 quality points. The GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of credits attempted.


Grade Changes

Except in the case of a demonstrated error on the part of the instructor or the Office of the Registrar, a recorded grade will not normally be changed. All grade changes require the approval of the instructor, department chair and college dean. A grade assigned at another institution will not be deleted or changed at UW-Parkside.

The Office of the Registrar will not change any grade or implement any change of grade requests after the last day of instruction in the semester (excluding summer) following the semester in which the grade was originally assigned. If a student or faculty member feels that there is just cause to change a grade at a later date they can use the grade appeals process.


Academic Warning

Graduate students whose GPA falls below 3.00 for all graduate work attempted in any semester will be given an academic warning at the end of that semester.

Academic Probation

Graduate students who have attempted 6 or more graduate credit hours at UW-Parkside and have a cumulative GPA below 3.00 for all graduate work attempted at UW-Parkside will be placed on academic probation. Students on academic probation whose cumulative GPA rises to 3.00 or higher will be removed from probation. In some cases students may be admitted to a graduate program on probation; these students will be removed from academic probation upon completion of 9 or more graduate credits with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher.

Academic Drop Policy

Graduate students who are on academic probation will be dropped from the university under the following conditions:

  1. If they have attempted 9 or more graduate credits at UW-Parkside while on probation and have not raised their cumulative GPA for all graduate work attempted at UW-Parkside to 3.00 or higher.
  2. If their GPA for graduate work attempted in any semester (including a summer session) falls below 3.00. However, no students admitted on probation will be dropped until they have attempted at least 9 graduate credits at UW-Parkside, regardless of semester GPA.
  3. If their academic performance falls below the requirements of the graduate program in which they are enrolled.
  4. Any of the provisions above notwithstanding, students whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.00 will be dropped from the university. This provision does not require that students be on probation initially and does apply to students admitted on probation who have attempted fewer than 9 credits. Students who are dropped from the university may not be readmitted for one year.  

Appeals Procedure for Academic Drop

Students who have been dropped from the university may file a written request for a waiver of the period of dismissal with the appropriate graduate program committee. The committee makes a recommendation through its dean to the graduate dean. Students make an appeal to the Academic Actions Committee and are entitled to appear before the committees on their own behalf. Appeals should be based on exceptional circumstances beyond the control of the student. Students who are readmitted on appeal will be placed on academic probation.


Students who have been dropped must apply for readmission on the UW System graduate application. Programs may ask these applicants to take an examination such as the GMAT or GRE or furnish other credentials. Applicants for readmission must present evidence to the program that they are now likely to do satisfactory work. Readmitted students are subject to the requirements in effect at the time of their readmission.



A transcript is an official record of a student’s academic activity. It reflects a student’s courses and grades, and it provides other academic data, such as semester/subscription period and cumulative GPAs, academic status, honors a student may have earned, and degrees a student may have been awarded.

Each institution defines what makes its transcript official. At UW-Parkside, an official transcript is printed on special transcript paper, bears the registrar’s signature, the university’s seal, and is issued in a sealed envelope. If the envelope is opened before it is submitted to the office for which it is intended, it is no longer considered official. Some institutions and agencies will not accept a transcript as official unless it arrives from the granting institution by mail.

UW-Parkside requires that students seeking admission to the university submit official transcripts from any other colleges they may have attended. Employers and other universities to which students are applying may require an official copy of the student’s UW-Parkside transcript.

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) as amended, the student’s record is confidential and UW-Parkside will not release a student’s academic transcript without proper authorization from the student.

An official transcript of a student’s record is issued only by the Office of the Registrar. UW-Parkside has partnered with Credentials Solutions, Inc. to provide a fast and secure online transcript ordering service that is available to our students/alumni 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The student can order a transcript at any time, even if there is an outstanding financial obligation to UW-Parkside, however, the request will not be processed until the obligation has been met and the related hold on the student’s record is released by UW-Parkside. When a hold is on a student’s record when the order is placed, they have 30 days to clear the hold or the transcript request will be purged, requiring the student to submit a new request once the hold has been removed.

Please see the Office of the Registrar’s webpage for more information about how to order a transcript.

Access to Student Records

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), students are entitled to review “official records, files, and data directly related to them” which the university maintains. The university has 45 days to comply with students’ written requests to review their records. Students may request a hearing regarding any alleged “inaccurate, misleading, or inappropriate” information in their official records and files. The university will not release information from students’ records to a third party without the student’s written consent except as permitted by section 99.34, (a) (ii) of the Privacy Act. In accordance with this section, the university will forward student records when requested by a school in which the student seeks to enroll.

A challenge to information students deem erroneous or misleading should be made in writing and directed to the dean or director of the appropriate office so that a hearing can be scheduled. In most cases, the decision of the dean or director will be final. If students find the decision unsatisfactory, they may place a statement in their file setting forth any reasons for disagreeing with the decision. A student’s right to challenge information of record does not extend to review of grades received unless the grade assigned by the professor was inaccurately recorded in the student’s records.

In addition, the FERPA designates “directory information” data that can be published or released routinely by the university to any inquirer. Directory information items are: name; address; telephone number; date of birth; major field of study; participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height of members of athletic teams; dates of attendance to include current classification, and withdrawal dates; degrees and awards received; the most recent education agency or institution attended; initial registration date and e-mail address. Any other information will not be given out without the student’s specific written permission except for various legitimate educational interest or legal reasons.

Students have the right to inform the university that the above listed directory information should not be released without students’ prior consent. If students wish to restrict the release of this information, they must complete and submit the appropriate form in the Office of the Registrar. These FERPA holds remain in effect until the students submit a request in writing to remove them.

Scroll to top