Academic Appeals




  • Appeal to Request a Late Drop - Request to drop a single class. If you are only taking one class and choose to drop, you must complete the Term Withdrawal.
  • Appeal to Request a Term Withdrawal - Request to drop all of your classes or your last class.
  • Appeal an Academic Suspension - Request to return to UW Parkside after an Academic Suspension. After the one-year suspension period, students may apply for readmission by completing a reentry form. Find steps on the Reentry page
  • Appeal for Math (Computational Skills) Substitution - Request to use an alternate course to satisfy the Computational Math Skills Requirement.
  • Appeal for Foreign Language Substitution - Request to use 2 alternate courses to satisfy the Foreign Language Requirement.


Appeal Forms must be filled out before the following dates!  No exceptions.

Friday, June 14, 2024  |  4:30 PM
Friday, August 9, 2024  |  4:30 PM

Do you have questions about an appeal?

The academic appeal process is important, so we want to make sure you have as much information as possible prior to submitting your appeal. Below are answers to common questions about academic appeals. 

Steps to submit your appeal



Complete the academic appeal form 



Attach the appeal letter 
Have your letter written before you fill out the appeal form.

What to include in your appeal letter


Click Submit

For an Academic Suspension Appeal, your academic advisor will review your appeal letter and make recommendations in the "comments" section on the appeal form. Please check your Ranger Email for notifications from your advisor. Go to steps 4-7 after you receive their recommendations.


Recommended Appeal Letter Edits
Delete the original appeal letter from the form, make necessary changes to your copy of the letter


Attach Rewritten Appeal Letter 


Attach Pertinent Documentation
Examples include: obituary, medical documentation, letters of support, or legal documents


Click Submit


An academic suspension is for a period of one year. Students may apply for readmission following their suspension period by completing the steps for reentry. Students who serve their one-year suspension do not need to appeal to the academic actions committee following the one-year period.

Students who feel exceptional circumstances justify immediate or early reinstatement (readmission prior to the conclusion of one year) may submit an appeal to the Academic Actions committee.

All appeals must include a letter that explains the circumstances surrounding surrounding your dismissal. It is also important to outline a plan that will keep you on track for future academic success.

  • What circumstances contributed to your academic performance falling below expectations?
  • Explain how the circumstances have been resolved that will allow you to perform at a satisfactory level.  
  • What strategies and resources do you plan to use that will help you be academically successful?
  • What additional information do you want the committee to consider in the review of your appeal?

Students who are appealing for academic dismissal (suspension) are required to meet with an academic advisor. Your advisor can help review your forms and letter, and they must sign your pathways to success contract. For this reason, it is strongly recommended that you begin work on your appeal with plenty of time before the deadline and come to your advising appointment with drafts of your materials. 

Students who are appealing for deletion or amending of an academic record or other academic policy are not required to meet with an advisor. 

Your official transcripts should be sent to the Admissions office. An unofficial copy of your transcripts will need to be submitted with your appeal.

Upon dismissal from the university, you will be administratively withdrawn from all courses in any upcoming terms.

A student who submits an appeal will be notified within three business days following the Academic Actions committee meeting.

Students who have been readmitted prior to the conclusion of the one-year suspension period will receive an email stating the appeal has been approved. Students are encouraged to seek out academic support with their academic advisors to discuss course selection. 

Students who have requested a waiver of an academic policy will be notified of next steps, if any, in their appeal decision letter.

You will receive an email notification when you are able to register for classes.

Students whose appeals have been denied by the Academic Actions committee often choose to attend a 2-year institution and successfully complete 12 degree credits with a grade of C and higher. This increases a student's preparation to return to Parkside. If you choose to take this recommendation, you should contact your advisor for additional assistance using Transferology to identify transferable courses which will apply to your degree and/or major.

No, you will need to complete the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal form. You can use the same narrative and documentation as you did to appeal your academic suspension.

Visit the forms page

Need more information?

Academic Actions Committee

Scroll to top