SHRM Credentials and Certification
Human resource management is a critical link between employee performance and company success. Position yourself as a valuable asset to company success with globally applicable and universally recognized skills supported by the world's largest HR membership organization, The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). Discover the benefits of SHRM Essentials and SHRM Certification below!
SHRM Essentials of Human Resources
Who should consider SHRM Essentials?
Anyone interested in pursuing a career in HR or any positions that interact with and support the HR function. These roles include but are not limited to:
- New and Junior HR practitioners who need to increase their knowledge base
Small business owners or office managers who perform the HR function who want to learn basic HR best practices to avoid costly litigation
New or experienced managers interested in learning more about employee management skills
Representatives selling or supporting HR systems and services
International HR personnel wishing to increase their knowledge of U.S. HR practices
Job seekers who are investigating HR as a new career option or want to enhance their resume with HR skills
- Employment law
- Selecting qualified employees
- Orientation and training
- Performance management
Reasons to Choose Our Course
Developed by leading HR experts, HR practitioners, and legal counsel, the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course covers introductory HR topics in a condensed, easy-to-understand format. The straightforward format ensures that HR concepts can be mastered and applied to real-life situations.
Along with classroom interaction with peers and the instructor, case study exercises threaded throughout the program provide opportunities to practice applying newly acquired HR skills during training prior to using them on the job.
Benefits for Employees
Through the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course, participants will gain:
- Practical expertise that can immediately impact job performance.
- A strong foundation of HR knowledge and competencies to become a better business person.
- An understanding of the latest laws and regulations to help reduce the risk of costly litigation.
- Professional Development Credits (PDCs) or recertification credit hours and a certificate upon completion.
Benefits for Employers
The SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course can help companies increase HR knowledge that is critical to overall business success. This program:
- Reduces the company’s risk of potential high-cost litigation.
- Promotes a consistent understanding of the HR function to non-Human Resources.
- Offers professional development for divisional or departmental supervisors to ensure HR compliance.
- Develops a common dictionary of HR terms for the entire organization.
- Enhances the importance of the HR function within the company.
SHRM Certification Exam Prep
Operational and Strategic Levels
Who should consider SHRM Certification Prep?
Middle and senior level operational positions such as Generalists, Managers, and Directors should consider preparing for the SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) Exam.
Senior and executive level strategic HR positions such as Senior Managers, Directors, VPs, and CHROs should consider preparing for the SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) Exam.
An important step in selecting the right credential for you is determining your exam eligibility. It is important to note that even though you may qualify for a senior level exam, you may still choose a professional level exam to ensure a strong foundation before pursuing the senior level certification credential. Click below to learn more about SHRM’s eligibility criteria.
The SHRM Learning System contains modules of study based on the SHRM BASK™. You'll access each learning module online via the embedded e-reader, which allows you to navigate quickly and easily from reading a module to completing activities and answering questions to check your progress.
HR Competencies Module
- Leadership & Navigation
- Ethical Practice
- Business Acumen
- Critical Evaluation
- Relationship Management
- Global & Cultural Effectiveness
- Structure of the HR Function
- Organizational Effectiveness & Development
- Workforce Management
- Employee & Labor Relations
- Technology Management
- HR Strategic Planning
- Talent Acquisition
- Employee Engagement & Retention
- Learning & Development
- Total Rewards
- HR in the Global Context
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Risk Management
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Employment Law & Regulations (U.S. Only)
Reasons to Choose our course
Our program meets your needs and increases your success on the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP exams. Here's how we know.
1. You learn from a SHRM-certified instructor with over 20 years of experience working in a variety of industries, including healthcare, manufacturing, and education.
2. Our course uses the SHRM Learning System, historically ranked as the #1 HR certification prep tool.
3. We support your ability to acquire knowledge and understand behavioral competencies to help you prepare for the SHRM certification exam throughout your experience.
4. Our program follows a structured learning experience that is designed to help you stay on track.
5. Opportunities to network and learn from your peers enhances your understanding of the material while deepening your connection to the profession across industries.
6. Earn up to 36 PDCs if you choose to take our comprehensive and accelerated option for professional development only.
Benefits for Employees
The 2022 SHRM Learning System delivers the most comprehensive, effective, and up-to-date exam preparation tools available.
- Effective and proven results. Candidates who use the SHRM Learning System consistently beat the average exam pass rate.
- One source for knowledge and application. All the study tools you need to understand, apply and engage with behavioral competencies and HR knowledge.
- Current and relevant content. The SHRM Learning System has been updated to align with the SHRM BASK™, the defined standard for knowledge and competencies required of HR professionals around the world.
- Convenient 24/7 online access. to your study tools from any mobile device, tablet, or computer
Your course is specifically tailored to meet your needs and the needs of adult peers. By completing all assigned readings and activities prior to each class, you are prepared to engage in classroom sessions, including:
- A high-level review of course material
- Interactive discussions and learning activities focused on the practical application of HR competencies and knowledge
- Sample assessment questions
- Study and test taking tips
Benefits for Employers
SHRM certification is more than a great choice for HR professionals who want to increase their knowledge, advance their skills, and earn recognition from the global HR community. SHRM certification benefits your entire organization.
1. It demonstrates that your HR professionals have mastered the application of HR technical and behavioral competencies.
2. Certification prepares your HR staff to assume greater leadership roles and contribute to the strategic direction of your organization.
3. Exam preparation helps HR professionals bring new ideas to your organization that will help drive success.
4. It helps create a common language that optimizes consistency and effectiveness when facing matters related to human resources.
5. Certification exams cover the global SHRM BASK™ ensuring that your staff is skilled for the needs of today's worldwide global economy.
Need 5 more reasons?
SHRM shares their top five benefits to employers. Watch the video.
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation in its services, program activities, education, and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodations, contact Professional & Continuing Education at least eight weeks in advance at: 262-595-3340 (V), 262-595-2513 (FAX), or email firstname.lastname@example.org.