How should I prepare for the Biological Science Department majors while I am in high school?

High school preparation should include:

  • Mathematics through pre-calculus (algebra, trigonometry and geometry)
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Biology
  • Two years of a foreign language
  • Four years of English with emphasis on written and oral communication.

Why should I declare my major?
There are advantages to declaring a major or minor early in your academic career. Your advisor helps you plan a curriculum that is right for you and allows you to graduate in a timely manner. You will be contacted when there is departmental information important to you.

How do I declare a major or minor?
Visit the Biological Sciences Office in Greenquist Hall, Room 344, and ask to declare a major or minor. You can choose a faculty member to be your advisor, or be assigned an advisor. The process takes no more than five minutes. You can change your major, minor or advisor at any time following the same process.

Do I need to earn a C or better in all courses in my major?
There is a minimum grade point average (gpa) for all university courses and for all courses in a particular major. These minima (4.0 scale) are:

  • 2.0, B.S., Biological Sciences
  • 2.5, B.S. Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics
  • 3.0, M.S. Applied Molecular Biology

The minimum acceptable grade for any particular course in a major is D- for undergraduates, and C for graduate students.

How can I transfer courses taken at other colleges and universities?


There are two steps to this process. First arrange with the other college or university to transfer the courses to UW-Parkside. The Registrar's Office can be of assistance in this process. Second, submit a request to the Biological Sciences Department for an analysis of transfer courses. This analysis will determine if transfer courses satisfy any of the program requirements. The results of this analysis are communicated to the Registrar's Office and will become part of your student record. During this process, you may be asked to provide additional information, such as a course syllabus.





Scroll to top
Who Are You?