Health Information management and technology online
The health information field is changing, and that change is happening now. Our collaborative online, degree completion program offered with our UW partners is one of the only programs that provides you with essential skills in both health information management and technology. As a graduate, you will be uniquely prepared to pursue jobs in a wide array of healthcare environments.
17 courses. 49 credits. 100% online. CAHIIM accredited.
The health information field is changing, and that change is happening now. Our collaborative online, degree completion program offered with our UW partners is one of the only programs that provides essential skills in health information management and technology (HIMT). The program prepares you to sit for AHIMA's credentialing exam. You also become an expert in RHIA skills that are rapidly growing in demand. According to the U.S. Department of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, the HIMT field is “projected to grow 8 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. The demand for health services is expected to increase as the population ages.”
Become expert in HIMT skills focusing on one of two concentrations.
Health Information Management
Emphasizes organization and management with a focus on human resources, financial and resource management as well as strategic planning and development.
Health Information Technology
Focuses on information technology and systems needed to success in today’s ever more technology-focused healthcare environments. You will learn to build and use software and hardware systems to manage, retrieve, and analyze data to drive improvements in patient care.
- Degree completion program—designed for students who have completed at least 60 college credits
- The length of the program varies based on number of credits transferred and completion of specific program courses. Transfer guides are in place for most associate degree programs
- All course content is online for convenient study and homework options
- This online program is very flexible making it a great choice for busy adults who are balancing work, family, and other commitments, while studying to advance their careers
- No need to be online at a specific time for classes
- Structured curriculum with 17 core courses, 4 track courses, no electives
- Includes a Capstone experience, coordinated individually for students by the Capstone Instructor, Program Director Betty Rockendorf, utilizing industry contacts and location specific to student preferences
- Learn from top faculty from across the UW System
Graduation Rate | 100% of UW-Parkside graduates finished the HIMT program in less than 4 years.
Employment Rates | 88% of UW-Parkside HIMT graduates are employed within one year of graduation.
Retention Rates | 89% retention rate for UW-Parkside HIMT students.
Capstone Success Rates | 100% of Capstone site supervisors felt graduates will meet employer expectations
The Health Information Management accreditor of University of Wisconsin-Parkside is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The College’s accreditation for Baccalaureate degree in Health Information Management and Technology has been reaffirmed through 2029. All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL 60601; by phone at 312-235-3255; or by email at email@example.com.
A UW bachelor of science in health information management and technology can be the foundation for a variety of positions, including
- HIM department manager
- Health data quality manager
- Health data coder or analyst
- Health data statistician
- Clinical data manager
- Electronic health records (EHR) privacy and security coordinator,
- EHR project manager
- Compliance coordinator
- HIT Professor