SMART CITY POLICY AND CIVIC PARTNERSHIPS
ONLINE GRADUATE CERTIFICATE
The Smart City Policy and Civic Partnerships program explores business models, technology and best practices for turning a smart city plan into reality. You will develop a practical understanding strategic and operational facets of smart and sustainable cities.
- Learn from faculty partnering in the venture to establish Wisconsin as a global technology hub
- Discover how the technologies of Smart Cities impact the decisions within communities
COMPLETE IN ONE YEAR
5 courses. 15 credits. 100% online.
A smart city uses information and communication technologies to increase operational efficiency, improve government services and citizen welfare. The challenge to the public sector is to ensure that the needs of the new development surge can be met and supported, and ensuring that local residents are able to participate in, and benefit from, the new economy. Areas of regional and community needs that will be explored include transportation planning, infrastructure, education, security, politics, health/welfare, economy, and the environment. This is a pivotal point for industry and communities, one that presents a qualitative change in how urban environments are created and sustained.
- Acquire the breadth and application of interdisciplinary knowledge supporting smart cities across new technologies, social sciences and management disciplines.
- Develop an attitude of innovation, creativity, and curiosity demonstrated through active questioning, discussion, and the acceptance of new ideas.
- Understand the benefits and challenges of partnerships for smart city initiatives
- Understand the conceptual framework for the formation and management of P3
- Develop a holistic and system-level perspective on smart sustainable cities that takes an integrative approach towards complex problems leveraging Big Data analytics and strategies related to planning, and public policy.
Program ineligible for international F-1 or J-1 visa holders. (J-1’s are for short-term exchange students and F-1’s are for degree seeking students.) International students are welcome to enroll in this program from home.