RANGER RECOVERY: Updated mask / face covering requirements

Housing & Residence Life

Yes, on campus housing will be available this summer.

The Board of Regents housing requirement will be enforced in academic year 2021-2022.


You will be able to choose the living option you would like. Students who want a double room are strongly encouraged to choose their own roommate. Students should complete their personal profile in MyHousing so that potential roommates can reach out and connect to discuss compatibility.


We have verified that all of the rooms available this year as double rooms are large enough to allow for adequate social distancing. We are converting some of our double rooms to super singles for the upcoming academic year to accommodate additional requests for single rooms.

Occupancy limits will be enforced in all residence hall areas to ensure appropriate social distancing. Only assigned residents and staff will be allowed in the residence halls and university apartments until further notice.

No guests will be allowed in the buildings/apartments.

We have established an isolation area for students who may need to be quarantined as a result of contracting COVID-19.

International Students

Please find below some answers to the immigration-related questions during the COVID-19 emergency. If you have questions or concerns, please email Karin Basken, basken@uwp.edu or Laine Philippa, laine@uwp.edu in the ISS/SA Office.   


The Department of State has announced a phased resumption of routine visa services. Please visit your local U.S. embassy or consulate website to confirm operating status and find information about appointment rescheduling or emergency services.

US Embassy

If you are unable to obtain a visa in time to begin your studies, please contact the ISS/SA office and we can discuss options with you. You may want to begin coursework online or defer your attendance to a later semester.

IMPORTANT: Please be aware that you are not allowed to enter the U.S. after the program start date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019.

Normally international students holding student visas have online course limitations. Those holding student visas must remain in full-time status with only one online course able to be counted as part of their full-time course load. However, because of the Covid emergency, online classes are no longer limited to one per semester.

For continuing students

Because of this health emergency you are allowed to continue your full-time studies from your home country and remain in F-1 visa status. We do not know how long this special provision will be in effect.

Please remember that the ISS/SA Office will do everything we can to ensure that you are able to complete your educational program. Please keep watching this site in case U.S. federal requirements change.

As you all know, COVID-19 processes are changing daily.  It is impossible to predict if and when further restrictions will be put in place by the U.S. or by other countries. 

At the current time, all airline passengers flying into the United States with an arrival date after January 26, 2021, must show evidence that they have had a Covid-19 test with negative results within 3 days of their departure. If they do not have Covid clearance, they will not be allowed on the flight.

Please check the U.S. Embassy website in your home country to keep up to date with travel restrictions.

If you plan to return to Parkside to complete your academic program or OPT you will need to have your I-20 immigration document signed. Please email Karin Basken or Laine Philippa from the ISS/SA Office to obtain a newly-signed document. (Additionally, Dean of Students Steve Wallner is approved to sign.) Please note that due to the pandemic, at the present time I-20 documents can be emailed to students.

Yes, the Immigration & Nationality Act (INA § 265, 8 U.S.C. 1305) requires all nonimmigrants and permanent residents, including international students, scholars, and their families, to report any change of residential address in the U.S. to the federal government, within 10 days.

With the ongoing concerns around COVID-19, we understand that there may be concern and anxiety about family around the world. In addition, with the increasing level of news coverage and concerns about the spread of the virus locally, some of you may be experiencing anxiety or stress. Please know that these reactions are normal and there are ways in which you can take care of yourself during these stressful times.

The university has health and counseling resources available to help you cope with these situations. Please visit the Student Health and Counseling website to learn more.

You may stay in the U.S. on an expired F-1 or J-1 visa as long as you maintain your immigration status by being in possession of a valid I-20 or DS-2019 and by meeting normal enrollment requirements. (Canadian citizens do not need a visa to enter the U.S.)

If you leave the U.S. and your visa stamp is expired by the time you wish to re-enter the U.S., then you will need to obtain a new visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate before you can re-enter to the U.S. (Canadian citizens do not need a visa to enter the U.S.)

You must be physically in the U.S.at the time you submit your Optional Practical Training (OPT) application. ISS/SA will continue to process OPT applications as soon as we receive your submitted request and will communicate with you about how to pick up and mail your application to USCIS.  Remember you are not allowed to submit an OPT application more than 90 days before graduation.

Please contact Karin Basken (basken@uwp.edu) or Laine Philippa (laine@uwp.edu) in the International Student Services Office. We would be pleased to set up a meeting time.

Didn't find your question? Submit a question.

Scroll to top