The International Student Services/Study Abroad Office (ISS/SA) will help you through your visa application process.

There are 2 types of student visas for Parkside: F-1 visas (for degree-seeking students) and J-1 visas (for exchange students). Each visa has its own regulations and procedures. 

step 1

To apply for either visa you need to be academically accepted to the University.


step 2

Provide the University with a Sponsorship Form and supporting bank statements showing that you have sufficient funds to pay for your educational experience. 


step 3

Those requiring a student visa must also submit a clear, easy-to-read copy of the personal information page of your passport.

The University will then send you an immigration document called a “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status or Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status” (called an I-20 or DS-2019).

Spouse and Children
For those who have an accompanying spouse or children, be sure to inform the Parkside ISS/SA Office as additional immigration documents are needed.

Transferring Student Visas
If you are transferring from another US institution, contact your current school to arrange transfer of your I-20 to Parkside. This enables the Parkside ISS/SA Office to issue you a new Parkside I-20.


step 4

Once you have the Certificate of Eligibility form, you must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee online. A SEVIS I-901 receipt should be printed and presented at your visa interview. 


step 5

Then submit the DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application (with fee) so a visa interview can be scheduled. Learn more about completing the DS-160.



Schedule your visa interview. Please prepare by reading “10 Points to Remember in Your Visa Interview”. Please email the ISS/SA Office if you do not receive a visa. We can work with you to reissue documents and, if necessary, defer your enrollment.

Important: Do not attend your visa interview without reading "10 Points to Remember in Your Visa Interview" 

International Forms

Faculty/Staff Exchange Visas

Faculty or staff sponsored for a J-1 visa by a UW Parkside academic department should contact the ISS/SA Office for detailed information.

Visa Regulations

F-1 and J-1 students are required to abide by the following regulations in order to maintain their visa status.

  • Make sure your student information is correct and up to date (Address, Major, Completion Date) on your SEVIS record.
  • Be enrolled full-time
  • Online classes are limited to one per term.
  • Before leaving the US, you must obtain a travel endorsement from ISS/SA to be allowed to return.
  • No Unauthorized work is allowed (on-campus work is permitted).
  • Keep your passport valid.
  • Cannot remain in the US beyond program completion (grace period 30 or 60 days)
Laine Philippa

Laine Philippa
International Manager
Wyllie Hall, The Commons

Karin Basken

Karin Basken
International Coordinator
Wyllie Hall, The Commons

Scroll to top