Residence Halls: All freshmen & sophomores are required to reside in the university residence halls unless you qualify for an exemption. Look at our different housing options and complete a residence hall contract. Apply early to get your preferred housing option!

Students can request to move in early by contacting the Housing & Residence Life at  Students who arrive early will be charged additional fees. 

Off-Campus Housing: Married students and students with children will require off-campus housing. 

Dining Plans: After completing your residence hall application, you must choose a dining plan.

Housing Options  Housing Contract Off-Campus Housing  Dining Plan

UW-Parkside is located on the Kenosha public busline: Bus #1 stops at the Parkside campus from 4:55 am to 6:35 pm daily. See Kenosha bus map and schedule


Additionally, many students find or to be useful taxi options in the Kenosha area.

Other students will budget ahead to purchase a vehicle. The ISS/SA Office has information for students on purchasing a vehicle, obtaining auto insurance and obtaining a US driver’s license. 


Kenosha Bus Map  Bus Schedule  


Opportunities to gain work experience 

U.S. law limits employment authorization for non-citizens. Parkside International students, however, are allowed to legally gain practical work experience through the following programs:

On-Campus work

International students can be employed at the University for 20 hours a week while school is in session and during Winterim. During summer breaks, students are eligible to work up to 25 hours per week at the University.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Internship Program

International students are eligible to apply for paid academic internships with US employers. Students must be registered for an internship course and the work position must relate directly to the student's field of study. CPT students are eligible to work 20 hours a week while school is in session and 40 hours a week during break periods. CPT participation is limited during the first two semesters in F-1 visa status.

See International Canvas site for details.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Work Program

After the first two semesters at the University, international students are eligible to apply for OPT which allows for 12 months of paid employment in their field of study during or after their studies. This program has an application fee and takes approximately 3 months to process through the US government. Usually international students save this employment opportunity until after they graduate.  

See International Canvas site for details.

Optional Practical Training Extension for Students in S.T.E.M. Majors

Students in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) majors may have the opportunity to extend their OPT work period for an additional 24 months for a total authorized work period of 3 years.

At Parkside, student health & safety are extremely important to us. This is why our Student Health & Counseling Center is available to all students. The Center is fully staffed to provide you with preventative health programs, medical treatment and referrals. 

As US medical costs are high, the State of Wisconsin requires that all international students be fully covered by the University health insurance policy. You can contact the Wellfleet Student Health Insurance website for detailed information about your plan, finding health care providers within the Cigna network or printing a new health insurance card. Spouses and children must also be covered at an additional fee. You will be automatically enrolled in the health insurance plan and charged for this on your student account.

The University also has a public Police department on our campus that prevents crime, promotes a safe environment and protects the campus community. 

Student Health & Counseling Center  Student Assurance Services

Parkside has an abundance of clubs and organizations that are waiting to welcome you. The Parkside International Club is just one opportunity that may be of interest.

Students who want to advance their leadership skills may be interested in participating in Parkside Student Government. This important institution represents the interests of all students and determines the allocation of university segregated fees.

The Campus Activities & Engagement office offers weekly on-campus activities (films, guest speakers, games and other celebratory events). The Monday movie night is always a popular event.

Attention sports fans! UW-Parkside Athletics hosts many activities for sport participants as well as sport enthusiasts. All students are invited to participate in one of many intramural sports (basketball, volleyball, badminton, etc.). Fans are also excited to come cheer for the Rangers at competitions with other universities. In addition, Athletics also contains the University Strength & Conditioning Center, which is a free, well-equipped work out facility open to all students.  

See a little of what life is like when you come to Parkside.


Laine Philippa

Laine Philippa
International Manager
Wyllie Hall, The Commons

Karin Basken

Karin Basken
International Coordinator
Wyllie Hall, The Commons

Scroll to top