Obtaining a Student Visa

The International Student Services/Study Abroad Office (ISS/SA) will help you through your visa application process.

There are 2 types of student visas for Parkside: F-1 visas (for degree-seeking students) and J-1 visas (for exchange students). Each visa has its own regulations and procedures. 

step 1

To apply for either visa you need to be academically accepted to the University.


step 2

Provide the University with a Sponsorship Form  and supporting bank statements showing that you have sufficient funds to pay for your educational experience. 


step 3

The University will then send you an immigration document called a “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status” (called an I-20 or DS-160).


step 4

Once you have the Certificate of Eligibility form, you must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee online. A SEVIS I-901 receipt should be printed and presented at your visa interview. 


step 5

Then submit the DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application (with fee) so a visa interview can be scheduled. Learn more about completing the DS-160.



Since there is no guarantee that you will be issued a visa, do not purchase airline tickets until you have a visa. If you do not receive a visa, please contact the International Student Services Office. It may be possible to defer your enrollment until the next semester. We will work with you to re-issue updated documents so you can reapply. 

Important: Do not attend your visa interview without reading this document "10 Points to Remember in Your Visa Interview" (pdf)

Spouse and Children

Your spouse and unmarried, minor children may apply for F-2 or J-2 visas. Although the SEVIS fee is not required, the University must issue each of them an individual I-20 or DS-2019 document to apply for their visas. You must provide a copy of your F-1 or M-1 visa and provide proof of relationship. Your minor children are permitted to attend school in the US while accompanying you.

Transferring Student Visas

If you are transferring to UW Parkside from another US institution, you must arrange for your I-20 to be transferred to Parkside. Contact the International Office at your current school to arrange this. The Parkside ISS/SA Office will then issue you a new Parkside I-20 once you are academically admitted and provide an up to date a Sponsorship Form

Faculty/Staff Exchange Visas

Faculty or staff sponsored for a J-1 visa by a UW Parkside academic department should contact the ISS/SA Office for detailed information.

Visa Regulations

F-1 and J-1 students are required to abide by the following regulations in order to maintain their visa status.

  • Make sure your student information is correct and up to date (Address, Major, Completion Date) on your SEVIS record.
  • Be enrolled full-time
  • Online classes are limited to one per term.
  • Before leaving the US, you must obtain an ISS/SA signature to be allowed to return.
  • No Unauthorized work is allowed (on-campus work is permitted).
  • Keep your passport valid.
  • Cannot remain in the US beyond program completion (grace period 30 or 60 days)

International Admissions Office

Diana Mantey
Nonresident Admissions
+1 262-595-2355

Karin Basken
International Coordinator
+1 262-595-2701


Scroll to top