How to Apply for Financial Aid

With one application, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you will be considered for various types of federal and state aid. You must submit FAFSA each academic year, the application is available October 1. Some aid programs have limited funding and to ensure full consideration, we recommend that you apply by the priority date of March 15. 

Step 1: Get an FSA ID

 You may create an FSA ID when logging into The ID, which consists of a username and password, will allow you to sign your FAFSA electronically and later to access your processed FAFSA online. Keep this ID secure as it will also be used for signing  loan  documents.  If  parent information will be included on the FAFSA, one of your parents must also apply for the FSA ID and electronically sign your FAFSA.

Step 2:  Gather Important Information
  • Social Security Number (and your parents' Social Security Number if you are required to provide parent information).
  • Driver's license, if  applicable
  • Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen.
  • Federal tax returns and W2's for yourself, your spouse if you are married, and your parents if you are providing parent information. Use income records two years prior to the academic year for which you are applying.
Step 3:  File the FAFSA

Go to to begin the application process.   You must include the UW-Parkside School Code - 005015  for us to view your application and award your aid.


Step 4: Watch your email or US Mail

If you file your FAFSA electronically, the federal processing center will e-mail a Student Aid Report (SAR) to you within three to five days. If you submit a paper application and do not include your email address, your SAR will be mailed to you within 10 to 14 days. The UW-Parkside Financial Aid Office will receive an electronic version of your information

Each year the U.S. Department of Education selects approximately 30% of all FAFSA filers for a process known as Verification to check the accuracy of information submitted on the FAFSA. This process requires our office to request additional information from you before determining the amount of financial aid you may receive. Veterans who were in active military service may be asked for their DD214.

Scroll to top
Who Are You?