What are Educational Records?
Educational records are all the records maintained by the UWP about individual students except:
- Personal notes from faculty and staff
- Employment records
- Medical and counseling treatment records
- Campus Police records
- Financial records of a parent or spouse
- Confidential letters and statements of recommendation placed in your records before January 1, 1975
What is Directory Information?
The following information is routinely released unless you specifically request a FERPA hold:
- Student name, address, email and telephone number and date of birth
- Initial Registration date, Enrollment status (full/part-time) and withdrawal dates
- Dates of attendance including current classification
- Major field of study
- Degrees and dates of graduation including anticipated graduation dates
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Height and weight of members of athletic teams
- Most recent education institution attended
Who can request my private records?
Prior consent is required before your educational record may be disclosed to a third party,except for:
- UWP Faculty and staff
- Agencies from which you have received financial aid, including banks or other lending agencies
- Other educational institutions in which you intend to enroll
- Federal and state officials and organizations conducting studies on behalf of UWP
- Requests in connection with an emergency, if such information is necessary to protect the health or safety
- Requests in accordance with a lawful subpoena or court order
You can designate specific parties that you would like offices to release information to by completing and submitting the Information Release Consent Form.
To Restrict or Not Restrict?
Should you decide to request that a FERPA hold be placed on your record, it will restrict all directory information and any future requests for such information from any non-UWP parties will be refused. For example:
- Your telephone number could not be released in case of an emergency.
- Your degree could not be confirmed for a potential employer.
- Your name would not appear in the commencement program, Dean's List, student directory, athletic programs.
To add a restriction contact the Office of the Registrar, WYLL D187