FERPA - Tutorial 05

Non-Directory Information (Private Records)
The following categories of information are considered private, or protected, by the University of Wisconsin-Parkside and usually must have the student's written consent before being disclosed to a third party: 

  • Social Security Number (or other national ID number)
  • SOLAR identification number
  • "P number" (from Ranger Card)
  • Place of birth
  • Residency status
  • Marital status
  • Married name or previous name
  • Parents' name(s) and address(es)
  • High school units
  • Transfer credits
  • Courses completed
  • Grades
  • Credits and grade points
  • Grade point averages
  • Current class schedule
  • Advisor's name(s)
  • Academic actions
  • Current disciplinary actions
Private records are releasable without prior written consent to school officials with legitimate educational interests. "School official" generally includes parties such as: professors; instructors; administrators; health staff; counselors; attorneys; clerical staff; trustees; members of committees and disciplinary boards; and a contractor, volunteer or other party to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions. A school official generally has a "legitimate educational interest" if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.

You should forward all requests for private information to the Office of the Registrar.


Scroll to top
Who Are You?