Academic & Classroom Accommodations
Below are some of the accommodations that may be approved for students based on documentation.
- Permission to record lectures.
- Audio- Notetaker for classes.
- PowerPoint slides available to student before lectures (if used).
- ASL interpreter
- Use of Hearing Assistance System in class and other settings.
- Request for instructors to repeat questions from others throughout the classroom into the microphone.
- Permission to arrive late/leave early to class.
- Access to table and stool.
- Access to table and chair.
- Preferential Seating: Access to seating near front/rear of room.
- Access to food and/or drink in class.
- Permission for intermittent breaks during class.
- Permission to use personal electronic devices during class (not during testing times, unless permitted for all students).
- Flexibility in attendance for courses which do not have a significant amount of the grade based off class participation, discussion, or in-class projects. Student will contact faculty as quickly as feasible when classes are missed. *Accommodation should not fundamentally alter course learning objectives.
- Extra time for assignments/project. Student will contact faculty as quickly as feasible for time extensions. *Accommodation should not fundamentally alter course learning objectives.
- Enlarged font (18-24 pt.) for all print materials and handouts
BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, AND MORE
- Alternative electronic books: Kurzweil 3000
- Use of Livescribe Smart Pen.
- Use of computer or other tablet in class during instructional time only.
- Captioning for movies and videos: Kaltura
- CART (real-time captioning) services
- Priority registration.
- Extended time (1.5x and 2x) on quizzes and exams in a distraction reduced environment.
- Screen reader for quizzes and exams: Kurzweil 3000.
- Use of a scribe for exams and quizzes.
- Dictation service for quizzes and exams: Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
- No scantron exams.
- Use of Word Processing for written quizzes exams (extra time (1.5x), if writing intensive).
- Use magnifier as a visual aid for quizzes and exams.
- Permission to modify time administration of exams to allow for breaks in between sections of an exam if complete exam is administered within the same business day.
- Enlarged font (18-24 pt.) for all print quizzes and exams.
- Oral exams and instructions should be given in writing.
- Waive spelling requirements on exams. *Accommodation should not fundamentally alter course learning objectives.