Emergency Preparedness

Emergency Preparedness

A message for students, faculty, and staff

We want all our students, faculty, staff, and visitors to feel safe and welcome here at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside. Below is detailed information about policies and procedures in specific emergency situations.

For non-emergencies, dial x-2455 from any campus hard-wired phone or dial 262-595-2455 from any cellphone to reach the UW-Parkside Police Department.

For emergencies, dial x-2911 from any campus hard-wired phone or 262-595-2911 from any cellphone to reach the UW-Parkside Police Department.

For additional information on a variety of topics, including how to plan ahead for disasters, visit Ready.gov

Contact University Police
Tallent Hall 188


24-Crisis Line (Kenosha) 800-853-3503
24-Crisis Line (Racine) 800-656-4673
Dean of Students 262-595-2598 or x2598
Facilities Management

262-595-2228 or x2228

Facilities Management (after hours) 262-595-2453 or x2453
Campus Technology (Help Desk) 262-595-2444 or x2444
University Police Department
262-595-2455 or x2455
Student Health and Counseling Center

262-595-2366 or x2366

Staying Safe on Campus  
Safety and Security


Title IX Coordinator  262-595-2239 or x2239


University Police

The mission of the UW-Parkside Police Department is to enhance the educational mission of the university. The department is proactive in working with the community to maintain a high quality of life by responding to and preventing crime, promoting a safe environment and enforcing the laws while safeguarding the constitutional guarantees of all. 

You can contact the University Police via email at police@uwp.edu or via phone at 262-595-2455 (non-emergenices - 262-595-2911 emergencies). You can also find their office in Tallent Hall 188. Don't forget that the University Police offer a variety of services on campus, including the UW-Parkside PD Self-Defense Program, escorts, crime prevention programs, accident investigations, alcohol/drug awareness programs, and more.

If you see a crime happening on campus and want to report it, you can use this form to fill out a confidential report. If you'd like to send a crime tip via text message, direct it to 67283 with UWPtip in front of your message. Forms submissions are anonymous. If you would like to speak to police personnel about a crime or if you would like to report suspicious activity, contact the Police Department via email (police@uwp.edu) or phone (262-595-2911 emergency or 262-595-2455 non-emergency, depending on the situation). Be sure to include your name and contact information if you send an email.

How to Request Assistance When Calling From a Cell Phone in an Emergency

  1. Dial 262-595-2911 (for emergencies)
  2. You will be connected with the UW-Parkside University Police Dispatcher
  3. Provide information on your exact location and the nature of the emergency
  4. Remain on the phone until the dispatcher has all necessary information
  5. University Police will respond accordingly


Look below for information on various emergency scenarios. Please read through the sections below to gather information on our procedures, policies, and recommendations. Emergencies can happen anywhere, so preparedness is essential. 

The University Police Department is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  The University Police are trained and equipped to respond to campus active shooter incidents. 


  • Run. If you can't run or hide, be prepared to defend yourself.
  • Hide. Be aggressive; commit to your actions.
  • Fight. Do not fight fairly. This is about survival.

If exiting the building is possible:

If you are in a building with an active shooter and it is possible to do so safely, exit the building immediately when you become aware of an incidident, moving away from the immediate path of danger and take the following steps:

  1. Notify anyone you may enounter to exit the building immediately.
  2. Evacuate to a safe area away from the danger and take protective cover. Stay there until assistance arrives.
  3. Call x-2911 or 262-595-2911 to reach the University Police. Provide the dispatcher with the following information:
    • Your name
    • Location of incident (be as specific as possible)
    • Number of shooters (if known)
    • Identification and description of shooter(s)
    • Number of persons who may be involved
    • Injuries to anyone (if known)
    • Advice of number and type of weapons (if known)

Individuals not immediately impacted by the situation are to take protective cover, staying away from windows and doors until notified otherwise.

If exiting the building is not possible (shelter in place):

If you are in a building with an active shooter and exiting the building is not possible, the following actions are recommended:

  1. Go to the nearest room or office.
  2. Close and lock or barricade the door with a desk or heavy object.
  3. Turn off the lights.
  4. Seek protective cover.
  5. Keep quiet and act as if no one is in the room.
  6. Do not answer the door.
  7. Call x-2911 or 262-595-2911 to reach the University Police. Provide the dispatcher with the following information:
    • Your name
    • Your location in the building (be as specific as possible)
    • Number of shooters (if known)
    • Identification or description of shooter(s)
    • Number of persons who may be involved 
    • Injuries to anyone (if known)
    • Advise of number and type of weapons (if known)

Wait for police to assist you out of the building.


Sudden cardiac arrest is one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. Over 350,000 people will suffer from sudden cardiac arrest this year. It can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere and at any age. An Automated External Defibrillator (AED) is the only effective treatment for restoring a regular heart rhythm during sudden cardiac arrest and is an easy to operate tool for someone with no medical background.



Some kinds of chemical accidents or attacks may make going outdoors dangerous. Leaving the area might take too long or put you in harm’s way. In such a case it may be safer for you to stay indoors than to go outside.

“Shelter in Place” means to make a shelter using whatever is available where you are. It is a way for you to make the building as safe as possible to protect yourself until help arrives. You should not try to shelter in a vehicle unless you have no other choice. Vehicles are not airtight enough to give you adequate protection from chemicals.

Step 1: Notification from Police

  • In the event of a chemical or biological release that would require protective actions be taken by campus residents, the University Police would be notified by the city/county of the incident.
  • A variety of notification methods will be used to inform all UW-Parkside employees of the protective action alert.
  • Those university buildings that are equipped with voice public address systems will use them to notify occupants of any imminent danger, and give direction on what to do.

Step 2: Close Doors and Windows

  • Do not exit the building.
  • If possible move to an interior, windowless room on an upper floor.
  • Close all doors to the outside and lock all windows.
  • Wet towels or other fabric items and jam them in the crack under the door. Use plastic (trash bags are good) to cover all windows and doors. Use tape to seal the edges of plastic.

Step 3: Seal off Ventilation Sources

  • Turn off fume hoods, range hoods, air handlers, and all air conditioners. Switch inlets to the “closed” position.
  • Seal off all vents, grills, or other openings to the outside to the extent possible.
  • Minimize the use of the elevators in the building. These tend to “pump” outdoor air in and out of a building as they travel up and down.
  • If you become bothered by the gaseous release hold a wet cloth or handkerchief over your nose and mouth.
  • If you experience breathing difficulties contact the University Police (x-2911 from any hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone) and request immediate medical assistance.

Step 4: Remain Indoors

  • Monitor the local media, UW-Parkside website and social media for further information and guidance.
  • Do not evacuate the building unless told to do so by University Police or the Somers Fire Department.


Bomb threats are usually conveyed via telephone and generally made by individuals who want to create an atmosphere of general anxiety or panic. All bomb threats should be assumed to pose a legitimate danger to the UW-Parkside campus population.

If you receive a bomb threat by telephone:

  • Take the caller seriously, but remain calm.
  • Ask a lot of questions. Use the checklist below as a guide.
  • Take notes on everything said and on your observations about background noise, voice characteristics, etc.
  • If possible, get a co-worker to call the University Police emergency phone line (x-2911 from any campus hard-wired phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone) while you continue talking to the caller.

  • Call the University Police emergency phone number at x-2911 from any campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone immediately after the call.

  • Notify your supervisor/department head.

  • University Police will be dispatched to your area to investigate and evaluate the threat. University Police will provide detailed instructions upon arrival.

Questions to Ask:

  • When is the bomb going to explode?
  • Where is it right now?
  • What does it look like?
  • What kind of bomb is it?
  • What will cause it to explode?
  • Did you place the bomb?
  • Why?
  • What is your name?
  • What is your address?
  • Try to recall the exact wording of the threat

Characteristics of Caller’s Voice:

  • Calm
  • Stutter
  • Laughter
  • Accent
  • Ragged
  • Nasal
  • Excited
  • Normal
  • Slurred
  • Cracked Voice
  • Slow
  • Rapid
  • Distinguished
  • Lisp
  • Familiar
  • Raspy
  • Deep
  • Distinct
  • Loud
  • Soft
  • Deep Breathing
  • Angry
  • Clearing Throat
  • Crying
  • If voice is familiar, who did it sound like?
  • What was the sex of the caller?
  • Can you estimate an approximate age of the caller?
  • Make a note of the date the call was received.
  • Record the number at which the call was received and the time of the call.
  • Make a note of the approximate length of the phone call.

Background Sounds:

  • Street Noises
  • Music
  • Factory Machinery
  • Long Distance
  • Animal Noises
  • House
  • Voices
  • Noises
  • PA System
  • Booth
  • Static
  • Motor
  • Local
  • Office Machine
  • Other

Threat Language:

  • Well-Spoken
  • Irrational
  • Incoherent
  • Message Read by Caller
  • Message Taped
  • Foul Language

Receipt of Suspicious Package/Bomb

Bombs can be constructed to look like almost anything and can be placed or delivered in any number of ways. The probability of finding a bomb that looks like the stereotypical bomb is almost nonexistent. The only common denominator that exists among bombs is that they are designed or intended to explode.

Most bombs are homemade and are limited in their design only by the imagination of, and resources available to, the bomber. If you receive or discover a suspicious package or foreign device:

  • Do not, under any circumstances, touch it, tamper with it or move it!
  • Report it immediately to University Police by calling x-2911 from any campus hard-wired phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone


Chemical spills should be dealt with by persons trained in the handling of hazardous materials. Spill kits should be used for clean up minor spills. That kit should include:

  • Instructions and/or Material Safety Data Sheets for the chemical in use
  • Personal protective equipment including gloves, safety goggles and other protective clothing
  • Spill pads or pillows sufficient to contain and absorb 1 liter of liquid
  • Plastic bags or containers to place spill waste material

Do NOT attempt to clean up a spill if any of the following conditions apply:

  • More than one chemical has spilled;
  • The quantity spilled is greater than one liter;
  • The substance is unknown or you are uncertain of the hazards of the substance; or
  • You are uncomfortable in the situation.

Minor Spill Response
(Less than 8 oz. of a Known Material)

Minor spills may be controlled and cleaned up by employees who work with the substance and understand the hazards of the material following these steps:

  • Alert people in the immediate area of the spill;
  • Wear protective equipment, including safety goggles, gloves and a long-sleeved shirt or other protective clothing;
  • If spilled material is flammable, turn off ignition and heat sources.
  • Avoid breathing vapors from the spill;
  • Apply spill pillow/pads or other absorbent material, first around the outside of the spill, encircling the material, then absorb to the center of the spill;
  • Sweep/shovel up absorbent material and place into a sealed, leak-proof bag or container;
  • Dispose of all materials (gloves, brooms, paper towels) used to clean up the spill in a sealed container as well; and
  • Label and dispose of all bags or containers as hazardous waste.

Major Spill Response
(More than 8 oz. or Unknown Material)

  • Attend to injured or contaminated persons and remove them from exposure as practical.
  • Alert other persons in the area to evacuate. Close the doors to the affected area.
  • Contact the University Police for assistance:
    • From any hard-wired campus phone dial x-2911.
    • From a cellphone, dial 262-595-2911. You will be connected to a UW-Parkside Police Department Dispatcher.
      • Give your name, information on the material spilled (name, quantity, etc) and the exact location of the spill (room, floor, etc.). Be sure to stay on the phone until released by the emergency operator.
  • Report to the building entrance to provide information to and/or assist emergency personnel.

Other Situations
Chemical spill on body:

  • Remove all contaminated clothing
  • Flood exposed area with running water from a faucet or safety shower for at least 15 minutes
  • Have another individual contact the University Police: x-2911 from any hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone, to obtain medical attention
  • Report the incident to your supervisor or instructor

Chemical Splashed in Eye:

  • Immediately rinse eyeball and inner surface of eyelid with water continuously for 15 minutes. Forcibly hold eye lid(s) open to ensure effective wash behind eyelids (where are eye cleaning stations??)
  • Have another individual contact the University Police at x-2911 from any campus hard-wired phone, or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone to obtain medical attention
  • Report the incident to your supervisor


UW-Parkside depends on certain functions such as building operations, financial transactions, communications and information systems applications and infrastructure to conduct its business. Accordingly, UW-Parkside departments have developed comprehensive contingency plans [Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP)] to support mission critical functions.

This plan will identify high likelihood and high impact risks along with specific actions to ensure readiness, response, recovery and restoration. All plans are periodically tested, reviewed and updated.

A COOP template and guidance is available to help departments in drafting their Business Continuity Plan from the UW-Parkside Police Department. Contact UW-Parkside Police.


Step 1: Stay Indoors

  • Stay indoors during tremors.
  • Take cover under tables or desks, or go to a structurally strong location such as a hall by a pillar.
  • Do not go outside.
  • Watch for falling objects such as light fixtures, bookcases, cabinets, shelves and other furniture that might move or topple.
  • Stay away from windows.

Step 2: Drop, Cover, Hold

  • Drop to the floor.
  • Cover your head with your arms.
  • Hold that position

Step 3: Remain in Place until Shaking Stops

  • Do not dash for exits since they may be damaged and the building’s exterior brick, tile or decorations may be falling off.
  • When the shaking stops, check for injuries to personnel in your area. Render First Aid assistance if required.
  • Check for fires or fire hazards — spills of flammable or combustible liquids, or leaks of flammable gases.
  • Turn off ignition and heat sources if it is safe to do so. Shut off all gas sources.

Step 4: Assess Damage and Exit Building

  • Follow procedures for fire, hazardous incidents and serious injury as necessary.
  • Exit the building, if possible, and go to a predetermined assembly point to report injuries, damages and potentially hazardous conditions
  • Call the University Police (x-2911 from any hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone)
  • Once you have exited the building, do not re-enter until the building has been declared safe by trained emergency personnel.


Before a Power Outage:

  • Prepare or review existing internal communications plan to notify affected personnel about workday and after-hours emergencies
  • Identify and prioritize vital power-dependent functions, operations, and equipment. Plan ahead for short-term and longer-term impacts and needs.
  • Battery-powered flashlights should be kept at known locations, readily accessible during outages. Candles and other open flame devices are prohibited.
  • Keep duplicates of critical data.
  • Determine if there are emergency power outlets (red) in your area. Use them for critical functions only.
  • Determine if there is emergency lighting in your area. Keep flashlights in all work areas.
  • Develop strategies for resuming operations when power returns.

Short-Term Power Outage:

  • Assess the extent of the outage in your area. Report outages to your Building Chairperson and/or Facilities Management at x-2228 or University Police at x-2911 from any hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2228 or 2262-595-2911 from a cellphone.
  • Building chairpersons may make the decision to evacuate individual buildings. If you are told to leave the building, lock or secure your area, collect your personal belongings and leave. Re-enter the building only when directed to do so by the Building Chair or the UW-Parkside Police.
  • If evacuation of the building is not necessary, restrict movement to areas that are adequately illuminated.

Response to Prolonged Power Outage:

  • Building Chairpersons should check their buildings elevators and initiate rescue efforts by notifying the University Police, if necessary. Only trained rescue personnel shall assist persons stranded in elevators.
  • Building Chairpersons should notify the University Police via cellphone (262-595-2455) and Facilities Management (262-595-2228) to facilitate assistance and repair as necessary.
  • Move building occupants in darkened work areas to safe locations. Keep refrigerators and freezers closed throughout the outage.
  • Unplug personal computers.
  • Unplug non-essential electrical equipment and appliances.
  • Open windows for additional light and ventilation, if appropriate.
  • The Crisis Management Team will make any decisions to cancel classes.
  • Report any losses or equipment damage to Risk Management at 262-595-2262 as soon as possible.

After Power Outage:

  • After a power outage make sure that all power is restored before turning on any equipment.
  • Facility Management will ensure that all elevators are reset as well as security systems reactivated and other alarms are reset.


Sign Indicating Procedures in the event of elevator malfunction are found in each elevator

In case of an elevator malfunction, contact the University Police at x-2911 on a hard-wired campus phone or at 262-595-2911 on a cellphone. The police will send an officer to the scene and will contact Facilities Management for assistance. To ensure the safety of all, only trained elevator technicians should perform repairs to elevators or attempt to rescue any trapped passengers. UW-Parkside elevator technicians can generally respond to most elevator malfunctions within 20 minutes. If faster response is needed, University Police may contact the Somers Fire Department.

In case someone is trapped in an elevator:

  • Staff should attempt to locate the elevator car and communicate with passengers by any means available, including yelling through the closed shaft doorways if necessary. Ensure the passengers that they are safe in the car, ask them to remain calm and inform them that help is on the way.
  • Insist that the passenger(s) remain in the car until an experienced elevator technician is called to the scene. Passengers should not attempt to use access panels for escape as the elevator may unexpectedly resume operation, which could cause serious injury or death.
  • Check all floors to visually verify that all of the shaft doors are closed.
  • If a shaft door is found open, do not attempt to close it.
  • Keep all others away from an open shaft door until an elevator technician arrives.
  • Identify the building and if the building contains multiple elevators, identify the specific elevator number or elevator location (if in a bank of elevators such as in the UW-Parkside Library).
  • Locate the floor position of the elevator.
  • Report the status of the elevator


During certain emergency conditions, it may be necessary to evacuate a building. Examples of such occasions include: smoke/fire, gas leak, bomb threat or chemical spill.

Room specific “Classroom Emergency Procedures” are posted in all general assignment classrooms on campus. These signs provide information on how to contact emergency responders. They also include the specific building address and room number and list actions to follow in the event of any type of emergency occurring in the classroom — medical, fire, power outage or tornado warning. In larger classrooms (50 person capacity or greater), an emergency procedures card is available at the lectern. These procedures are especially important for students who move from building to building throughout the day and may not be familiar with evacuation routes and shelter areas for the various buildings in which they have classes.

The UW-Parkside Police Department conducts tests of the campus emergency notification systems. In addition to those tests, a fire and evacuation drill is conducted within every building on campus twice a year, once during the fall and spring semester. This assists in not only training our students, staff and faculty to the presence of alarms, but it also provides for additional testing of the University’s emergency systems. Information on emergency procedures is provided with testing notifications, usually through the campus email system. The University Police do not conduct any unannounced tests. 

Policy 19 - Emergency Evacuation Responsibilities

While an “emergency” by its very definition is an unforeseen event, it also usually requires immediate action. Developing an evacuation plan which addresses identifying exits, designates areas of refuge and assembly point (where all evacuees will meet once they have evacuate the building), and provides additional assistance to persons with disabilities gives everyone a plan of action which shortens their response time and enables them to help themselves and others.

An evacuation plan must start with this basic premise: Everyone must try to evacuate to the nearest, safe exit. At least two emergency passageways must be identified in each building. Each passageway must either lead to an exit or safely lead to a designated area of refuge.

After identifying the exits, a recommendation is that each person with a disability ask a co-worker, friend or fellow student to provide assistance if an emergency develops. This “evacuation assistant” should be informed about what disabilities you have and how he or she can best help you.

Persons with disabilities have four basic evacuation options:

  1. Horizontal evacuation. This entails using building exits to gain access to outside ground level, or going into unaffected wings of multi-building complexes.
  2. Stairway (vertical) evacuation. This means of evacuation means using stairwells to reach ground level exits from the building.
  3. Staying in Place. Unless danger is imminent, remaining in a room with an exterior window, a telephone and a solid or fire resistant door may be your best option. With this approach, the person may keep in contact with emergency services by dialing x-2911 from a hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone and reporting his or her location directly to the University Police. The police will then immediately relay this location to on-site emergency personnel, who will determine the necessity for evacuation. Phone lines are expected to remain in service during most building emergencies. If the phone lines fail, the individual can signal from the window by waving a cloth or other visible object. NOTE: The Stay in Place approach may be more appropriate for sprinkler protected buildings, or buildings where an “area of refuge” is not nearby or available. It may also be more appropriate for an occupant who is alone when the alarm sounds. A label on the door jamb or frame can identify a fire resistant door. Non-labeled 1 ¾ inch thick solid core wood doors hung on a metal frame also offer good fire resistance.
  4. Area of Refuge. With an evacuation assistant, going to an area of refuge away from obvious danger is another emergency plan option. The evacuation assistant will then go to the building evacuation assembly point and notify the on-site emergency personnel of the location of the person with a disability. Emergency personnel will determine if further evacuation is necessary. The safest Areas of Refuge are stair enclosures common to high-rise buildings, and open-air exit balconies. Other possible Areas of Refuge include fire-rated corridors or vestibules adjacent to exit stairs and elevator lobbies. Many campus buildings feature fire rated corridor construction that may offer safe refuge. Taking a position in a rated corridor next to the stairs is a good alternative to a small stair landing crowded with the other building occupants using the stairways as a means of egress in an emergency. For false alarms or an isolated and contained fire, a person with a disability may not have to evacuate.

Suggested Guidelines for Different Types of Disabilities

  • Mobility Impaired – Wheelchair. Persons using wheelchairs should Stay in Place, or move to an Area of Refuge with their assistant when the alarm sounds. The evacuation assistant should then proceed to the evacuation assembly point outside the building and alert the Milwaukee Fire Department or University Police to the location of the person with a disability. If the person with a disability is alone, he or she should phone the University Police at x-2911 from a hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone with their present location and the area of refuge they are headed to.

    NOTE: If the stair landing is chosen as the area of refuge, please note that many campus buildings have relatively small stair landings, and wheelchair users are advised to wait until the heavy traffic has passed before entering the stairway. (SOMETHING HERE ABOUT THE SAFE ZONE MARKINGS IN STAIRCASES)

    Stairway evacuation of wheelchair users should be conducted only by trained professionals or the Somers Fire Department. Only in situations of extreme danger should untrained people attempt to evacuate wheelchair users.
  • Mobility Impaired – Non Wheelchair. Persons with mobility impairments who are able to walk independently may be able to negotiate stairs in an emergency with minor assistance. If danger is imminent, the individual should wait until the heavy traffic has cleared before attempting the stairs. If there is no immediate danger (such as detectable smoke, fire or an unusual odor), the person with the disability may choose to stay in the building with the options listed above, until the emergency personnel arrive and determine if evacuation is necessary.
  • Deaf/Hard of Hearing. Most buildings on campus are equipped with fire alarm strobe lights; however, some are not. Persons with hearing loss may not hear audio emergency alarms and will need to be alerted of emergency situations. Emergency instructions can be given by writing a short explicit note to evacuate.

    Reasonable accommodations for persons with hearing loss may be met by modifying the building fire alarm system, particularly for occupants who spend most of their day in one location. Persons requiring such accommodation should contact the UW-Parkside ADA Coordinator at 262-595-XXXX (voice) or Teletypewriter (TTY) users, please use the relay service by dialing 711.
  • Visually Impaired. Most people with a visual impairment will be familiar with their immediate surroundings and frequently traveled routes. Since the emergency evacuation route is likely different from the commonly traveled route, persons who are visually impaired may need assistance in evacuating. The assistant should offer their elbow to the individual with a visual impairment and guide him or her through the evacuation route. During the evacuation, the assistant should communicate as necessary to assure safe evacuation.

Prior planning and practicing of emergency evacuation routes are important in ensuring a safe evacuation.

Additional Resources:

Fire Safety for Wheelchair Users at Work and at Home, United Spinal Association
S.A.F.E.T.Y.first: Working Together for Safer Communities, Easter Seals
Preparing for Disaster for People with Disabilities and other Special Needs, American Red Cross/FEMA


In the event of an explosion on campus, take the following actions:

  1. Immediately take cover under tables, desks, or under objects which will give protection against falling glass and debris.
  2. After the initial effects of the explosion have subsided, notify the University Police dispatcher at X-2911 from any hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone. Give your name, tell them if there is a fire and describe the location and nature of the emergency.
  3. Activate the building fire alarm.
  4. Evacuate the building by the nearest exit. If disabled personnel cannot safely evacuate the building, assist to the nearest stairwell away from damaged area. Alert emergency personnel of their location.
  6. Once outside, move to a clear area that is at least 500 feet away from the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
  7. DO NOT RETURN TO AN EVACUATED BUILDING unless authorized by the Somers Fire Department or the University Police.


Go to Fire Safety web page.

Floods are the most common and widespread of all natural disasters – except fire. Most communities in the United States have experienced some kind of flooding, after spring rains, heavy thunderstorms, or winter snow thaws. Flooding within a building may also be the result of a mechanical failure.

The following are some steps you can take in response to a flood situation to minimize property damage and losses:

If the flooding is caused by a pipe break, sink overflow or other plumbing problem:

  • During normal business hours, notify Facilities Management at x-2228 from a hard-wired campus phone of 262-595-2228 from a cellphone. After hours, contact the University Police at x-2911 (emergency number) or 2455 (non-emergency number) from a hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2455 and 262-595-2911 from a cellphone.
  • Try to identify the source of the water and turn it off if this can be done safely.

If the flooding is caused by heavy rains or winter snow thaw:

  • During normal business hours, notify Facilities Management at x-2228 from a hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2228 from a cellphone. If the situation occurs after hours, contact University Police at x-2911 from a hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone.
  • Attempt to close doors and windows to prevent additional water from entering the building, if possible.
  • Focus resources on minimizing the spread of water into other areas of the building.

Additional actions you may take to minimize damage from water include:

  • Protecting property and records by removing items from floors and /or covering items with water-resistant coverings.
  • Moving items of value to “higher ground” if possible.
  • Unplugging electrical equipment such as computers, printers, etc. if it is safe to do so. If electrical circuits appear to be getting wet, leave the area immediately.

Depending upon the severity of the situation, evacuation of personnel may be required. If immediate evacuation is necessary, use the fire alarm system to notify building occupants.

Once the building has been evacuated, call the University Police x-2911 from a hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone, or send someone to the Campus Police Department (Tallent Hall 188) to notify them of any needed assistance or other emergencies that may exist.

Report any losses or equipment damage to Safety and Risk Management at x-2262 from a hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2262 from a cellphone as soon as possible.


Natural gas is colorless, non-toxic and odorless, although an odorant is added as the gas is fed into the distribution system. Known as mercaptan, this odorant is an important safety measure because it provides a distinct smell (much like the smell of rotten eggs) in the event of a gas leak. Natural gas is lighter than air and rapidly dissipates into the air when it is released. If you smell gas or suspect a leak, cease all operations. Take appropriate actions to ensure your personal safety.

  • If gas smell is on the inside and windows can be easily opened, open to ventilate the area.
  • Leave the area at once and pull the nearest fire alarm to initiate evacuation of the building.
  • Call University Police from any hard-wired campus phone x-2911.
  • From a cellphone dial 262-595-2911. Your call will be connected to the UW-Parkside Police Department Dispatcher.
  • Give your name and the exact location of the leak (room, floor, etc.) as well as any other information you think would be useful. Be sure to stay on the phone until released by the emergency operator.
  • If the situation warrants, request that the fire department be called.
  • Evacuate the building by the nearest exit. Report to the building entrance to inform emergency response personnel of the situation.
  • Building Chairpersons and/or their designees will check occupied areas of their buildings and notify occupants that they must immediately evacuate the building by means of the nearest exit. Exit quickly and calmly by way of the nearest exit to a safe distance from the building. Leave sidewalks and roadways free for emergency responders.
  • Escort persons unable to negotiate stairs to area near emergency exit staircase. After the emergency exit is clear of traffic, move them onto the landing of the emergency stairwell. Do not attempt to move them down the stairs. A staff person should go to the building entrance to inform arriving emergency personnel where any such persons are waiting.
  • Do not re-enter the building until authorized to do so by University Police


Call for Medical Assistance: x-2911 from any hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone

  1. If serious injury or illness occurs on campus, immediately call the UW-Parkside Police Deparment x-2911 from any hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone for medical assistance. Give your name, describe the nature and severity of the medical problem and the campus location of the victim. Do not hang up unless released by the emergency operator.
    1. If the victim is conscious and oriented, the individual has the right to determine his/her own health-care needs and the response to those needs. Under such circumstances, university staff should refrain from recommending specific health-care vendors.
    2. In circumstances involving a person who is unconscious and/or disoriented, calling the University Police is the appropriate response.
  2. Keep the victim still and comfortable until help arrives. Do not move the victim.
  3. In case of a minor injury or illness, students may go to the Student Health and Counseling Center and have trained persons provide appropriate first aid.
  4. First Aid and CPR training is available through many agencies including the local American Red Cross.
  5. Persons with serious or unusual medical problems should be encouraged to notify their supervisors or instructors of the medical problem and the standard emergency treatment related to that problem.


The University Police Department is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is staffed by full-time state-licensed, sworn police officers. Support personnel include dispatchers, clericals and volunteers. The University Police are trained and equipped to respond to campus building security incidents.


If Building Exit is Possible:


If you are in a building with an active shooter and it is possible to do so safely, exit the building immediately when you become aware of an incident, moving away from the immediate path of danger and take the following steps:


  1. Notify anyone you may encounter to exit the building immediately
  2. Evacuate to a safe area away from the danger and take protective cover. Stay there until assistance arrives.
  3. Call x-2911 from a UW-P hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cell phone to reach the University Police. Provide the dispatcher with the following information:
    • Your name
    • Location of the incident (be as specific as possible)
    • Your exact location
    • Number of shooters (if known)
    • Identification and description of shooter(s)
    • Number of persons who may be involved
    • Injuries to anyone (if known)
    • Advise of number and type of weapons (if known)
  4. Individuals not immediately impacted by the situation are to take protective cover, staying away from windows and doors until notified otherwise.


If Building Exit is Not Possible — “Shelter in Place”:


If you are in a building with an active shooter and exiting the building is not possible, the following actions are recommended:


  1. Go to the nearest room or office
  2. Close and lock or barricade the door with a desk or heavy object
  3. Turn off the lights
  4. Seek protective cover
  5. Keep quiet and act as if no one is in the room
  6. Do not answer the door




The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is committed to providing students, faculty, staff, and guests an environment conducive to academic achievement and personal development. Acts of sexual misconduct which include sexual harassment and sexual violence will not be tolerated. The University will take prompt and appropriate action whenever sexual misconduct is reported.

The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is committed to maintaining an educational environment that is conducive to academic success and personal growth. While we sincerely hope that no member of our campus community (student, faculty, staff, or guest) ever experiences an act of violence, it is important to know how to report such an incident and what resources are available for support. 

Reports of sexual misconduct (sexual assault, sexual harassment, dating/domestic violence, or stalking) may be made to the Title IX Coodinator, Dean of Students Office, and/or the University Police. To file a report with the Dean of Students Office, you may contact the office directly at (262) 595-2598 or you may complete the online Sexual Assault Reporting Form. To file a report with the police, you may contact the UW-Parkside Police Department at (262) 595-2455 (if the incident took place off-campus, the UW-Parkside Police will assist in connecting you with the appropriate law enforcement agency). 

Students living on-campus who report incidents of sexual misconduct to a Residence Life staff member (Resident Assistant, Hall Manager, Residence Life Office staff, Custodian/Maintenance staff) will be assisted in contacting the Dean of Students Office and/or Police.

Most UW-Parkside staff members are required to report any known cases of sexual assault to the Dean of Students. If you would like to talk to someone who does not have to disclose your name to the Dean of Students, you may speak with one of the health care providers (Nurse Practitioner or Counselor) in the Student Health and Counseling Center. You can make an appointment by calling (262) 595-2366.

Please contact the Dean of Students Office at (262) 595-2598 or the University's Title IX Coordinator, Tyler Lenz-Fisher, at (262) 595-2239 or titleIX@uwp.edu if you have any questions about sexual misconduct reporting requirements or procedures. More information is available here.


Winter storms create a higher risk of car accidents, hypothermia, frostbite, carbon monoxide poisoning, and heart attacks from overexertion. Winter storms and blizzards can bring extreme cold, freezing rain, snow, ice, and high winds. A winter storm can:

  • Last a few hours or several days;
  • Knock out heat, power, and communication services; and
  • Place older adults, young children, and sick individuals at greater risk.


  • Stay off roads.
  • Stay indoors and dress warmly.
  • Prepare for power outages.
  • Stay away from windows.
  • Listen for emergency information and alerts. If campus is closed due to a snow emergency, please do not come to campus (if you are a commuter). If you are already on campus, please limit time outside, stay inside and stay warm.
  • Look for signs of hypothermia and frostbite.


Prepare NOW

  • Know your area’s risk for winter storms. Extreme winter weather can leave communities without utilities or other services for long periods of time.
  • Pay attention to weather reports and warnings of freezing weather and winter storms. UW-Parkside will notify students if/when campus will be closed for a weather emergency. The Emergency Alert System (EAS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather Radio also provide emergency alerts.
  • Gather supplies in case you need to stay home for several days without power. Keep in mind each person’s specific needs, including medication. Do not forget the needs of pets. Have extra batteries for radios and flashlights.
  • Create an emergency supply kit for your car, if you have one. Include jumper cables, sand, a flashlight, warm clothes, blankets, bottled water, and non-perishable snacks. Keep the gas tank full.
  • Learn the signs of, and basic treatments for, frostbite and hypothermia.

Survive DURING

  • Stay off roads if at all possible. If trapped in your car, then stay inside.
  • Limit your time outside. If you need to go outside, then wear layers of warm clothing. Watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia.
  • Reduce the risk of a heart attack. Avoid overexertion when shoveling snow if you need to shovel your car out.
  • Watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia and begin treatment right away.
  • Check on neighbors. Older adults and young children are more at risk in extreme cold.


  • Frostbite causes loss of feeling and color around the face, fingers, and toes.
    • Signs: Numbness, white or grayish-yellow skin, firm or waxy skin
    • Actions: Go to a warm room. Soak in warm water. Use body heat to warm. Do not massage or use a heating pad.
  • Hypothermia is an unusually low body temperature. A temperature below 95 degrees is an emergency.
    • Signs: Shivering, exhaustion, confusion, fumbling hands, memory loss, slurred speech, or drowsiness
    • Actions: Go to a warm room. Warm the center of the body first—chest, neck, head, and groin. Keep dry and wrapped up in warm blankets, including the head and neck.


  • Ask yourself the follow questions when screening articles received:
    • Is the article unexpected or does it appear unfamiliar?
    • Is the address vague or incomplete?
    • Is the return address missing?
    • Does it have unusual weight or texture?
    • Are there restrictive markings such as “for addressee only” or “personal”?
    • Is the article addressed to an individual who no longer works within your department?
  • Do not attempt to touch, open or move any suspicious letter, article or package.
  • If you receive an article, package or letter which you are concerned about immediately put the article down.
  • Do not panic. Biological agents are not easily aerosolized. The mere act of opening an envelope or package containing a suspected agent would generally not provide the energy required to project the agent into your airway or breathing zone.
  • If possible request the assistance of a co-worker or other person in your area to immediately contact the University Police at x-2911 from any hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone to inform them of the potential for a biological release on campus.
  • If you are alone, phone the police yourself, attempting to limit the number of things you come in contact with. If you have been contaminated, limiting what you touch will limit the spread of the contamination.
  • Wait for the police to arrive. Do not leave the area. Do not allow others who may have been in the area when the article was received or opened to leave until the Police arrive and assess the situation.
  • University Police will isolate the package and initiate all follow-up activities.
  • The Somers Fire Department Hazardous Materials Unit will be called to respond to the incident. Additionally individuals from the Kenosha County Health Department will be called to campus to assist.
  • A controlled evacuation of the building in which the suspected agent was found will probably occur. Evacuated individuals will be instructed to report to a “congregate care” center to provide information to authorities. Follow-up actions will be based on each individuals potential for exposure to the suspected agent.


What Should I do if a Tornado Threatens the Campus?

First, do not attempt to flee the tornado by foot or automobile. Twisters can move much faster than you can. Do not seek shelter in or under your car.

Secondly, move to a location inside the building away from windows or glass. Most injuries related to tornadoes are caused by flying broken glass or other debris. An interior stairwell, hallway, or room on the lowest floor or in the basement is best, as long as it is away from windows. Contrary to popular belief, the southwest corner of a building is no safer than any other corner of the building. You may want to consider moving to another building if necessary. The Union, Lubar School of Business, or EMS parking structures would provide excellent shelter, but not the open design of the Sandburg parking structure. Avoid auditoriums, gymnasiums, or other spaces with wide, free-span roofs.

Tornado Warning

A “Tornado Warning” indicates a tornado has been sighted and you should immediately take shelter. The “Tornado Warning” signal is a steady blast three minutes or longer in duration. There is no “All Clear” signal.

In the Event a Tornado Warning is Issued for the UW-Parkside Campus:

Building occupants should seek shelter in designated areas. A basement area or an inner corridor, away from windows and doors, are classic shelter areas. See the recommended shelter areas for campus buildings below.

If for some reason you are unable to flee to a safer area, get under a desk, heavy table or other object that could shield you from flying debris. Evacuation to a shelter or safer area is best, however.

Note that tornadoes can occur quickly and they last an average of seven minutes, so time is of the essence. If the weather looks threatening, monitor local media.

Recommendations for Individuals with a Disability:

  • Mobility impaired-wheelchair-elevator to shelter
  • Mobility impaired, non-wheelchair-elevator to shelter
  • Hearing impaired, inform of announcement and shelter advice
  • Visually impaired, offer elbow and assist to shelter

Shelter Recommendations for Campus Buildings

Tornado Shelter Area signs have been posted in each campus building. Evacuation maps also designate where tornado shelters are located.

How Long do Tornadoes Last and How Fast do They Move?

Detailed statistics about the time a tornado is on the ground or how quickly they move are not available. Their duration can range from an instant to several hours, but a typical tornado lasts approximately 5 minutes or so. Their movement can range from virtually stationary to more than 60 miles per hour. Typically, they move at roughly 10-20 miles per hour.

“All Clear” Notification

“All Clear” notifications are made by the National Weather Service and are announced by local media. If warranted, an “All Clear” notification will be made by the University Police. The University Police are in radio contact with the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office, which is also in charge of County Emergency Government, and appropriate weather outlets. After a tornado on campus, normal communications may not be available. Therefore, University Police and their designees (e.g. safety staff; Facility Services personnel;) may use squad car PA systems, bull horns, or personnel to move from building to building to announce the “All Clear."

Tornado and Severe Weather Awareness Week

Tornado and Severe Weather Awareness Week in Wisconsin typically occurs the second week of April. All state agencies, including UW-Parkside and the University of Wisconsin System, are to conduct tornado drills during that week. The purpose of the awareness campaign is to remind people of the dangers associated with tornadoes, thunderstorms, flooding and hail and to encourage citizens to take protective safety measures such as developing a personal preparedness plan and putting together a disaster supply kit.

The purpose of campus participation in a tornado drill is to ensure that faculty, staff, and students know what to do and where to go should a tornado or severe weather event occur. The Department of University Safety and Assurances will coordinate drills in all buildings on the UWP campus, usually held Thursday of Tornado and Severe Weather Awareness Week.


Workplace violence has emerged as an important safety and health issue in today’s workplace. Its most extreme form, homicide, is the third-leading cause of fatal occupational injury in the United States.

UW-Parkside is committed to providing a safe and healthy place for our faculty, staff and students to work and learn. A person who believes that he or she has been the target of workplace violence should report it to the University Police and/or to his or her supervisor, manager or an appropriate administrator.

The non-emergency number for the University Police is x-2455 from a campus hard-wired phone or 262-595-2455 from a cellphone. If you believe you are in imminent danger, please contact the University Police by calling x-2911 from a hard-wired campus phone or 262-595-2911 from a cellphone.

Scroll to top