Survivors & Dependents

Montgomery GI Bill - Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35) provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition.  The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.  These benefits may be used for degree and for certificate programs.  Children must be between 18 and 26 years old.


   You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of: 
  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled (100%) as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces. 
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability (100%) was in existence. 
  • A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force. 
  • A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power. 
  • A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability.


US Department of Veterans Affairs website: Dependents' Educational Assistance

How to apply for an initial Certificate of Eligibility 

Fill out Form 22-5490 using new VETS.GOV portal to submit the form.  If you have used the eBenefits Portal previously you can log on using the same username/password.  If this is your first time using it, choose "I Am a New VONAPP User" and create a new account. 

What paperwork should I submit?

There are two documents that must be turned in to the Parkside School Certifying Official


Send scanned copies of this paperwork to

What if I am a TRANSFER student already using Chapter 35 at another college?

In addition to the paperwork above, please turn in a completed VA Form 22-5495.

Veterans and Dependents are strongly encouraged to apply for Financial Aid:  Apply

Back to Veterans Services

Scroll to top
Who Are You?