Unclassified - Academic Staff - Manager, International Student Services/Study Abroad
Code: 116 Posted: 06/30/2015
Manager, International Student Services/Study Abroad
International Student Services Department
University of Wisconsin-Parkside
The University of Wisconsin Parkside invites applicants for an International Student Services/Study Abroad Manager.
- Master's Degree in International Education, Higher Education, Sociology, Anthropology, or closely related field; must meet Department of Homeland Security requirements (which include being either a lawful permanent resident or a citizen of the United States)
- 3-5 years of experience in International Education, International Student Services, or Study Abroad working with college students
- Experience with SEVIS system as RO, ARO, DSO or PDSO.
- Demonstrated knowledge/experience with immigration procedures
- Experience in crisis management and health & safety policies and procedures
- Demonstrated experience working with people of diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- 5+ years of experience in International Education, International Student Services, or Study Abroad working with college students
- Experience of living, working, or studying abroad
- Working knowledge of Terra Dotta database system
- Proficiency in a 2nd language
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Associate Dean of Students, the International Student Services / Study Abroad Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the International Student Services / Study Abroad Office (ISS/SA).
The ISS/SA Manager oversees all efforts related to the processing of inbound international students and outbound study abroad students.The ISS/SA Manager holds ultimate responsibility for all SEVIS / Department of Homeland Security compliance as it relates to Visa issuance, oversight, and reporting.The ISS/SA Manager oversees inbound and outbound student orientation, facilitates international student engagement on campus, works with the Registrar to ensure proper recording of course credit, monitors international students' academic progress, works with faculty to develop study abroad programs, and monitors reciprocity of agreements with international partners.The ISS/SA Manager serves as a liaison with the Friendship Committee and meets regularly with the Student Affairs departmental leaders.The ISS/SA Manager supervises a full-time academic staff member and student assistants.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the International Student Services / Study Abroad Office including supervision of a full-time Academic Staff member (ISS/SA Coordinator) and student assistants; budget management; and maintenance of certifications related to the issuance of F-1 and J-1 Visas.
- Serves as the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) for the F-1 Visa and the Authorized Responsible Officer (ARO) for the J-1 Visa.
- Responsible for providing support to inbound international students through assistance with the application process, Visa process, orientation and arrival process, and integration into the campus community.
- Responsible for providing support to outbound students who are participating in short-term, faculty led study abroad programs; semester/year abroad programs; UW System study abroad programs; and third-party study abroad opportunities.
- Responsible for developing and implementing, in consultation with the university's Risk Management Officer, training manuals and sessions for study abroad faculty advisors related to destination-specific safety measures, communication channels, and emergency & evacuation protocols.
- Responsible for monitoring health insurance plans for inbound and outbound students.
- Responsible for developing and implementing destination-specific study abroad orientations for participating students.
- Works in collaboration with the Provosts Office to develop and maintain partnerships with colleges and universities across the globe.
- Works with UW-Parkside faculty to develop, plan, and execute study abroad programs that enhance the globalization of the curriculum.
- Serves as a member of the Steering Committee for the Center for International Studies.
- Responsible for the implementation and utilization of the Study Abroad database system (Terra Dotta)
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Immigration requirements, regulations, and procedures
- Knowledge of best practices in the fields of International Student Services and Study Abroad
- Ability to access, monitor, and evaluate U.S. Department of State travel advisories and restrictions
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, compliance focused, detail-oriented environment
- Knowledge of international student recruitment, engagement, and retention strategies
- Knowledge of best practices related to risk management in study abroad
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong computer skills such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Student Information System (preferably PeopleSoft)
- Knowledge of and experience working with English as a second language programs and services
- Knowledge of and experience working with International program markets.
The University and Area
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement.This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan.The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students.UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties.Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience.The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University's primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses.There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers.The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
Review of Applications
Applications received by July 19, 2015, are ensured full consideration; position is open until filled.
Go to: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu
Click the "Apply Now" button. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password' and select "Login." Use the Keyword "Parkside" to locate the job posting and begin the online application process.
If you have questions about how to apply from the Candidate Gateway, go to https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21900.
Interested candidates should submit the following in electronic format. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and required fields are completed:
- Cover Letter outlining qualifications for the position
- Names and contact information for three professional references
It is the policy of UW Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities.If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below.Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
A criminal background check and degree verification is part of the application process.
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.