Assistant Professor of Performance Public May Apply
Assistant Professor of Performance Public May Apply
Code: 10313 Posted: 12/21/2015
The University of Wisconsin Parkside invites applicants for an Assistant Professor of Performance in the Theatre Arts Department in the College of Arts and Humanities. This is a tenure-track position in Theatre, with a focus in Acting,Theatre performance and Theatre Appreciation beginning Fall 2016.
This position includes a variety of responsibilities, including teaching, supervising, and mentoring students, particularly in the areas of acting and directing.This individual will be the primary acting instructor, will teach general education courses, and will have regular directing and service assignments.
- MFA in acting or directing;
- Ability to teach a variety of courses in performance
- Professional experience as an actor and/or director
- Experience teaching in an undergraduate institution
- Previous experience in academic advising and mentoring of undergraduate students
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Acting I
- Acting II
- Acting III
- Acting IV –Acting Styles
- Voice for the Actor I
- Voice for the Actor II
- Theatre Appreciation with the potential for teaching other theatre general education courses, including Multicultural Theatre in America, and LGBTQ Representation on Stage and Screen
- Contribute to Sophomore and Senior Seminar classes in areas of expertise
- Depending on experience, possibility of teaching Stage Combat, Public Speaking, and Acting for the Camera.
- Coaching student actors
- Performs other duties as assigned.
35% B. Creative Activity/Directing
- Directing1-2 fully staged productions per year.
- Directing1 FreshINK per year
- Supervision and mentoring of student assistant directors and dramaturges, as well asstudents working on independent projects
- Some outside professional activity in area of specialization
20% C. Service to Department
- Academic and career advising and mentoring of students
- Participation in weekly department and production meetings, as well as monthly company meetings
- Participate in annual academic and artistic assessments of company members
- Participate in program entry auditions and interviews, as well as Visit and Scholarship Days
- Assist with recruitment of students, particularly in the area of performance
- Serve as leader in one area of departmental need: Recruitment, Fundraising, Marketing, or Assessment for department
- Assist with various theatre service projects, including outreach to local high schools, community theatres, and professional theatres.
- Assist with building active professional connections with professional theatres in the region and nationwide.
- Assist with house management and supervisory responsibilities for performances, as shared by all theatre faculty members and staff
5% D. Service to University
- Serve on various university committees as assigned and/or elected.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Professional experience as an actor, proven successful undergraduate teaching experience;
- Must be physically fit, speak loudly and clearly, must have good eyesight
- Proven successful experience as a director
All applications are to be submitted electronically through our employment portal.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu: (NOT currently employed by the UW System)
http://my.wisconsin.edu: (Currently employed by the UW System)
STEP 2: You must login before you can apply.
Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login". If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process. Under "Basic Job Search" enter the Keyword "Parkside" and click the Search button. Select "Assistant Professor". Click "Apply Now".
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
Submit the following application materials:
- A letter of application addressing your qualifications for the position
- A full curriculum vitae
- Teaching philosophy
- Names and current contact information of three professional references
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable at application stage)
STEP 4: You must select "SUBMIT".
Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Application materials received by 11:59 PM on February 19, 2016 are ensured full consideration.
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
Incompliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call theUW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
THE UNIVERSITY AND AREA
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment. The tri-county region that comprises the University's primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community,please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
If you have any questions, need accommodations, or submitted your application with missing materials, call or email:
Contact Name: Brandi Liantonio
Contact Phone: (262) 595-2139
Contact Email: email@example.com