- Campus Life
- Admissions + Aid
- Athletics + Arts
- Alumni + Partners
- About Us
Code: 111891202 Posted: 12/02/2015
The University of Wisconsin Parkside invites applicants for a Financial Specialist opening in our Office of Business Services.
This is a fulltime, non-exempt, non-represented University Staff position and will require a six (6) month probationary period. Hours of work are
7:45 am – 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
This position is under the general supervision of the Assistant Controller. Primarily responsible for supporting the purchasing, accounts payable and accounting functions. Responsibilities also include back up of various Business Services positions, back up for processing financial transactions/reporting, as well as, assisting with asset and cash management duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
50% A. Purchasing and Accounts Payable Support
1. Determine if request for payment is to be accepted, rejected, or requires additional information/corrective action. Inform parties accordingly.
2. Approve invoices for payment by matching them with purchase orders or requisitions, and request positive approval, if necessary. Also,match Central Receiving reports with purchase orders.
3. Process AP pay cycles and payments using the PeopleSoft Financial System.
4. Verify checks and ACH payments are accurate including payees, addresses, and amounts. Mail payments daily.
5. Furnish proof of payment, stop payment, and reissue checks when necessary.
6. Answer inquiries, both internal and external. Resolve discrepancies or variations with regard to payments, invoices, purchase orders, or other correspondence.
7. Assist with creating and renewing purchase orders and change orders.
8. Assist with the processing of requisitions and other payment request including reviewing documentation for completeness and entry into the accounting system.
9. Assist with setting up and maintaining W-9 files.
10. Assist with compiling ProCard logs and review for completeness.
11. Provide additional assistance as directed.
25% B.General Office Support
1. Independently answer all telephone inquiries acting as the contact/resource person for the Business Services office. Respond to questions, identify and solve problems or consult with the appropriate person(s) or unit(s) when necessary in relaying information back. Calls may be from various inside or outside sources.
2. Stamp and distribute Business Services mail.
3. Update & Maintain office files and internal tracking logs.
4. Assist Business Services staff in scheduling meetings and conference rooms. Utilize web-based calendar to request AV equipment/digital projector as needed.
5. Procure inventory of office supplies for the Business Services Office using Web-ordering program while adhering to UW guidelines on policies and procedures for purchasing.
6. Provide administrative and clerical support services to other office staff at the discretion of the Assistant Controller.
10% C. Back up for Processing Financial Transactions and Reporting
1. Create and process journal entries in the general ledger accounting system.
2. Process transactional journals from various campus departments including review for propriety and pursuing corrections as needed.
3. Process GL Uploads; i.e. student financial and budget uploads.
4. Assist with grant accounting transactions and reporting.
5. Maintain fiscal records for transactional activity in accordance with federal, state, and UW-System requirements.
6. Create financial reports and reconciliations as directed.
5% D. Assist with maintaining the Asset Management System in PeopleSoft
1. Identify asset status of equipment from purchasing information.
2. Comply with UW physical inventory policies.
3. Make changes to asset classification as necessary.
4. Maintain data in Shared Financial Asset Management.
5. Maintain asset files and related general operations records.
6. Prepare and analyze reports to ensure UW policy compliance.
5% E. Assist with banking functions and cash management
1. Reconciliation of campus bank accounts and financial aid information.
2. Report stale dated checks as needed.
3. Resolve discrepancies with the bank and/or the Cashier's Office.
4. Monitor bank account balances & Fund 990 balances.
5% F. Other Responsibilities
1. Assist the Assistant Controller and Budget Office with financial analysis as directed.
2. Assist with research and development of new processes, tools, or resources.
3. Provide data entry for various processes in the office including the budget function.
4. Participate in training sessions to keep current on latest developments in word processing and spreadsheet software, as well as office equipment and skills.
5. Serve as the backup during vacations or extended absences as needed.
6. Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Controller.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Ability to understand the complex procedures required for invoice auditing, payment and reconciling as well as associated problem resolution.
Ability to interpret general University and specific Business Services policies and procedures that apply to the purchasing, accounts payable, capital equipment,etc. functions of the position.
Knowledge of accounting principles and mathematics.
Knowledge of MS Windows operating systems and associated applications including Excel, Access, MS Word or the ability to convert current knowledge of comparable applications to MS applications quickly.
Ability to use and interpret UW information systems such as HRS, WISDM, SFS and Info Access.Knowledge of modern office procedures.
Ability to access Internet web sites to retrieve information forms, etc.
Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new tools and technology.
Knowledge of organizational and time management techniques and the ability to apply them. Must be able to handle a variety of tasks with varying time constraints.
Ability to accept and learn changing automated accounting and financial systems.
Ability to resolve vendor and order related issues in a diplomatic and timely manner. This requires excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with a variety of people with diverse backgrounds at all levels inside and outside of the department.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to relate complex information in an understandable fashion to a variety of people with various levels of knowledge on the topic.Ability to use customer service techniques to be responsive to customer or vendor inquiries and needs. Respond to inquiries fully and thoroughly. Ask questions to get at the specific issue so accurate information is relayed or retrieved.
Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is continuously required to sit for long periods of time, stand, walk and use hands and fingers. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, calculator, telephone, copier and other office equipment. It is necessary to view and type on computer screen for long periods.
- Minimum 2 year associate degree in accounting or business, or 2 years professional experience working in an accounts payable, accounting, or related position.
- Two or more years of experience providing excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in attention to detail a must as well as strong analytical/organization skills.
- Proficiency in MS Excel is essential as well as other MS Office products; Word, Power Point and Access
- Experience with modern financial software packages, in particular PeopleSoft products.
- Prior experience working in higher education and/or government.
- Experience utilizing analytical, problem solving and judgment skills.
- Experience with business process changes as well as recommending and implementing process improvement.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Minimum hourly pay of $15.411 based upon qualifications and experience. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/Univ-staff.pdf
* Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
Review Of Applications
Please submit application materials by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, December 16, 2015.
How To Apply
STEP 1: Select the applicable link below:
You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password"and select "Login". If you have not yet registered, click"Register Now" to begin the registration process.
Under "BasicJob Search" enter the Keyword "Parkside" and click the Search button. Select applicable job opening. Click "Apply Now". Please submit the application materials online as required by the job posting. Select"Submit". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Select"Submit". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is a comprehensive campus of the University of Wisconsin System with approximately 4800 students, 120 faculty, and 70 instructional academic staff offering 33 undergraduate majors and 3 master's degrees in 22 academic departments. The campus is located between the cities of Kenosha and Racine in southeastern Wisconsin, within the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor.
The University is situated on 700 acres of prairie and woodland approximately two miles west of Lake Michigan. Consisting of 15 buildings, the coherence and unity of the original campus design within its natural landscape has been sustained over four decades of development. Recent additions include a renovated and expanded student center, a 250 bed suite-style residence hall, and a greatly expanded and renovated center for the arts and humanities.
A criminalbackground check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis.Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call theUW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Contact Name: Beth Frederick
Contact Phone: (262) 595-2608
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org