The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Dean of The College of Social Sciences and Professional Studies.
The College of Social Sciences and Professional Studies at University of Wisconsin-Parkside is one of four colleges formed following an academic reorganization fully supported by the university faculty and leadership, the University of Wisconsin System Administration, and the Board of Regents. The Dean oversees the College of Social Sciences and Professional Studies as it continues to build on the exceptional strengths of accomplished faculty and students. The college offers baccalaureate degrees in criminal justice, geography, history, international studies, political science and law, philosophy, and sociology. The Dean of the College of Social Sciences and Professional Studies reports to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs and will be a key member of the Provost's leadership team.
- Ph.D. in one of the disciplines represented within the college
- Academic qualifications sufficient for tenure and rank of professor in a department within the college
- Minimum of five years of successful academic administrative experience, which includes roles such as department chair, program director, assistant or associate dean, governance appointments
- Demonstrated success in receiving external funding from government, foundation, corporate or private entities
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching, scholarship, research, and creative activity
- Demonstrated outreach program development and implementation
- Experience working with K-12 and community organizations
- Experience working with, and a demonstrated commitment to serving students from diverse backgrounds, abilities, and levels of preparation
- Experience managing institutional budgets
- Demonstrated experience providing leadership in positions of increasing responsibilities
- Demonstrated commitment to high impact practices
- Experience with concurrent enrollment
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESPlanning
- The dean will be responsible for leading the college in implementing the university's academic plan and will play a key role in the strategic enrollment management goals of the university
- The dean will lead the college in the recruitment, retention and graduation of students who are well-prepared for success in graduate school or professional careers
- The dean will develop and support program and student assessment that is data driven and supports the academic endeavors of the college
- They will be responsible for the efficient and effective administrative and fiscal management of the College, working in a context of integrated budgeting and planning and evidence-based decision-making
- The dean will be responsible for recruiting, retaining and supporting a diverse and outstanding faculty, providing appropriate support for faculty to achieve their professional development goals as teacher scholars
Outreach and Fundraising
- Working within a framework of shared governance, the dean must have the imagination, initiative, and commitment to pursue new opportunities for the College, including the development of new undergraduate and graduate degree programs
- The dean must be committed to advancing the goals and objectives of both the College and the University and fostering collaborations across the campus
- The dean must have a demonstrated commitment to interdisciplinary teaching and learning, with a clear vision for integrating the social sciences with other disciplines across campus by fostering and rewarding collaborations in teaching, learning, research and creative activity
Essential Knowledge and Abilities
- The dean must be able to articulate to campus and external constituents the enduring value of the social sciences and professional studies.
- They will be responsible for effectively representing the College to the campus, external communities, and alumni, and will provide leadership in the pursuit of external resources and grants to support the goals of the college
- Thorough understanding of and commitment to the mission of a regional state institution as student-centered and engaged in the communities we serve such as first-generation and underrepresented minority students
- Excellent skills and aptitude in the following areas: leadership, decision making, project management, innovation, team building and diplomacy
- Commitment to the fundamental values of the professoriate, including academic freedom, scholarship, peer review and shared governance
- Ability to promote the best interests of the College and to ensure that the goals of the College are aligned with and supportive of UW-Parkside goals and objectives
- Ability to work within a strongly collaborative administrative model
- Ability to provide strong campus leadership for a new professional educator development program should these programs be merged with the college
- Appreciation for, and experience with, high impact pedagogies such as community-based learning, internships, undergraduate research and study abroad
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural communication skills
THE UNIVERSITY AND AREA
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University's primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
*** APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED ***
Applications received by 11:59 PM February 10, 2017, are ensured full consideration.
APPLICATION PROCESSSTEP 1
: Please select the applicable link below:Internal Applicants
(Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
: Click on Self Service, then click on Recruiting Activities, then click on Careers.STEP 3
: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
- "Advanced Search"
- Job Opening ID: "12764"
- Find Jobs Posted Within: "Anytime"
- Select "Dean for The College of Social Sciences and Professional Studies"
- Click "Apply Now"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter indicating the required and preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information of three references
You must select "SUBMIT", selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.Please Note
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.Benefit Details
: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdfTotal Compensation Estimator
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm
. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at 262-595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.