Academic Staff - Associate Athletics Director of Internal Operations (Public May Apply)
Code: 13962 Posted: 01/25/2018
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Associate Athletics Director of Internal Operations.
The Associate Director of Athletics for Internal Operations serves as a member of the senior athletics administration, reporting to the Director of Athletics. This person will work in conjunction with the Director of Athletics to provide strategic leadership and vision to the athletics department.
The primary function of the Associate AD for Internal Operations is to directly administer and provide oversight of all aspects of budgeting, financial management, event management, facility operations, camps and clinics, and NCAA and governmental reporting for the athletics department. This position will act as a liaison to the business services, human resources, and facility management offices and advise the department’s staff on all matters pertaining to UW System policies on purchasing, travel, and hiring. Assist the department in strategic planning, facility projects, and the preparation and execution of bid processes.
The Associate Director of Athletics will provide supervision to assigned sport programs and staff. Represent the athletics department as appropriate on campus, in the conference, and with the NCAA. Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Experience in college athletics department or professional sports environment
- Experience in preparing budgets, monitoring accounts, supervising personnel, and contract negotiation
- Athletics department budget management experience
- Experience with facilities and event management
- Excellent verbal and written skills
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as a member of the senior athletics administration
- Provide supervision and oversight for all aspects of assigned sport programs and support staff, including facilities and events
- Assist the Director of Athletics with the day-to-day operations of the athletics department
- Oversee the department’s efforts in event management, facility operations, and camps and clinics
- Serve as a game administrator for select sports
- Act as a liaison between the athletics department and business services, human resources, and facility management
- Assist the department in strategic planning, facility projects, and the preparation and execution of bid processes
- Represent the athletics department as a liaison to appropriate campus departments
- Represent UW-Parkside as appropriate at conference and national functions and committees
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics
Accounting and Finance:
- Monitor department expenditures to ensure compliance with State of Wisconsin, University, NCAA, and Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference rules and regulations
- Approve payment of invoices and audit and approve travel expense reports. Prepare postseason travel reimbursements.
- Deposit checks and cash from various sources and perform follow up for outstanding balances
- Execute all responsibilities in accordance with UW-Parkside, University of Wisconsin System, and UW-Parkside Foundation policies and procedures, as well as Internal Revenue Service rules and regulations
- Serve as the lead for the annual NCAA audit
- Prepare financial reports including financial reports, Equity in Athletics Data Analysis (EADA), NCAA, and conference reports
- Perform settlement on ticket, concessions, and apparel sales for all games
- Prepare the annual department budget in accordance with University and UW System budgetary process, including materials for the annual budget presentation to Segregated University Fee Allocation Commission (SUFAC)
- Monitor program budgets on a daily basis
- Provide budget updates to coaches and other administrators on a regular basis
- Advise the Director of Athletics, department staff, and coaching staff in matters related to budgets, purchasing, and travel
- Monitor revenue and expenses related to fundraising and charitable giving
- Monitor financial aid budgets and submit all stipend payment requests
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of athletics department functions
- Demonstrated accounting experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent judgment including sensitivity to personnel and confidential information
- Ability to communicate effectively with the campus community, spectators, students, student-athletes, and other constituents
- Ability to exhibit professionalism and be an exemplary representative of UW-Parkside
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships within a diverse, academic environment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and troubleshoot and problem solve daily
- Ability to work outside in hot and cold weather conditions
- Ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to solve complex problems and time-sensitive issues
- Skill to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and with attention to detail
- Strong, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide-range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate special events
THE UNIVERSITY AND AREA
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University’s primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
Applications received by 11:59 PM February 4, 2018, are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Candidate Apply Here (Candidates not currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) – follow link then continue to STEP 2
Internal Candidate Apply Here (Candidates currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) – follow link then under “Main Menu” choose:
- “Self Service”
STEP 2: Under "Job Search" choose:
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "13962"
- Select "Associate Athletics Director of Internal Operations"
- Click "Apply"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- Names and contact information of three references
You must select "SUBMIT", selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
If you have questions about how to apply go to https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21544
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidate’s application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Inquiries and questions about this position can be directed to:
Dr. Kurt Patberg
Athletics Staffing and Consultants, LLC
Phone: (404) 434-5146
If you have any questions, need accommodations, or submitted your application with missing materials, call or email:
University of Wisconsin Parkside
Office: (262) 595-2245