The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Chemistry Lecturer scheduled to start at the beginning of the 2017-2018 academic year.
The Lecturer will contribute to teaching introductory chemistry courses and labs including the design of new experiments and the coordination of instructional resources. Service will include, the expectation to advise undergraduate students, participation in outreach and retention initiatives, and connecting students to internship opportunities. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Candidates must hold a M.S. in Chemistry
- Instructional experience of at least two semesters beyond serving as a teaching/laboratory assistant
- Ph. D. in chemistry; ABD considered but renewal will be contingent on degree completion within first year
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience working effectively with culturally diverse populations
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
90% Teach Introductory Chemistry Lab Courses:
- Expected to teach lecture and laboratory courses
- Expected to design, implement, and assess new experiments; coordinate instructional resources for adjuncts
- Performs other duties as assigned
10% Service to Department, College, and University:
- Advise undergraduate students in the major
- Design, lead, and assess outreach and retention initiatives
- Establish internships with area businesses
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be able to use computers, printers, data projectors, and instrumentation associated with instructional classrooms and labs
- Must be able to work safely with a variety of laboratory chemicals, cleaning supplies, and hazardous waste
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Candidate is not responsible for money, university funds or accounts which hold financial information
- Ergonomic Requirements: Extensive work at computer, laboratory workbench; sitting and standing for long periods of time; lifting and manual dexterity as needed for teaching and research; handling instructional models.
THE UNIVERSITY AND AREA
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University's primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
Applications received by 11:59 PM April 23, 2017, are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants Apply Here (candidates not currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) - follow link then continue to STEP 2
Internal Applicants Apply Here (candidates currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) - follow link, then under "Main Menu" choose:
- "Self Service"
Under "Job Search" choose:
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "12974"
- Select "Chemistry Lecturer"
- Click "Apply Now"
You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process.
Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- Letter of application explaining how you would meet the qualifications
- A statement of teaching philosophy
- Contact information for five references (letters will be requested later)
- Academic transcripts (unofficial acceptable at application stage)
You must select "SUBMIT", selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7)
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm
. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at 262-595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.