Academic Staff - Head Athletic Trainer (Public May Apply)
Code: 13925 Posted: 01/12/2018
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Head Athletic Trainer.
The Head Athletic Trainer serves as a member of the senior athletics administration, reporting to the Associate AD for Compliance and Student-Athlete Welfare. The position will be titled Assistant AD/Sports Medicine or Director of Sports Medicine.
The primary function of the position is to directly administer and provide oversight of all aspects of sports medicine and strength and conditioning for the athletics department’s 15 intercollegiate athletics programs. In addition to overseeing the department’s full-time and part-time staff, the position will serve as the department’s liaison to its medical services provider and the NCAA designated primary healthcare administrator, per bylaw 22.214.171.124.7.
A key member of the administrative team, this position will assist in the day-to-day operations, strategic leadership and vision for the athletics department. This position will represent the athletics department as appropriate on campus, in the conference, and with the NCAA. Perform other duties as assigned by the Associate AD and Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree in athletic training or related field
- 2-3 years experience in a college athletics department or similar environment
- Certification by the National Athletic Trainer’s Association Board of Certification (NATABOC)
- Previous experience as a full-time athletic trainer
- Master’s degree in athletic training or related field
- Active membership in the National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA)
- Valid First Aid/CPR/AED certification
- Experience with strength and conditioning
- Demonstrated commitment to student-athlete welfare
- Experience in a leadership and supervisory role
- Excellent verbal and written skills
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as a member of the senior athletics administration
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight of all aspects of sports medicine and strength and conditioning
- Serve as the primary supervisor for all members of the sports medicine and strength and conditioning staff
- Maintain the sports medicine operating budget
- Serve as the athletics department’s NCAA designated primary healthcare administrator
- Oversee and ensure the execution of the athletics department’s partnership with its medical services provider
- Supervise the administration of first aid/CPR/AED certification for all athletics department staff and coaches
- Assist in the execution and development of the Parkside Athletics Wellness Support program
- Act as a liaison between the athletics department and assigned campus departments, including the health, counseling and disability services department
- Represent UW-Parkside as appropriate at conference and national functions and committees
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and/or Associate AD/Compliance and Administration
- Comply with policies and rules of the NCAA, UW-Parkside, the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, and the UW System
Sports Medicine and Strength and Conditioning:
- Direct and coordinate the athletic training care and coverage of all intercollegiate athletics team practices and games
- Provide athletic training coverage for home athletics practices and contests as assigned, and provide athletic training coverage for selected away competitions
- Serve as the primary athletic trainer for designated athletics teams
- Provision of injury prevention, evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation for student-athletes
- Maintain confidential and accurate documentation and record keeping of injury reports and progress notes
- Maintain all documentation related to medical hardships, insurance claims, physical examinations, and emergency action plan
- Ensure effective communication with student-athletes, coaches, medical professionals, and department staff
- Organize and direct all preseason physicals with physicians and coordinate medical clearance & eligibility for practice and competition
- Facilitate concussion management protocols, drug testing protocols, and other health and safety initiatives for student-athletes
- Manage and maintain the athletic training room, including implementation of hours, policies and procedures, equipment maintenance, and supply inventory
- Provide oversight of the athletics department’s strength and conditioning program
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of athletics department functions
- Demonstrated accounting experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent judgment including sensitivity to personnel and confidential information
- Ability to communicate effectively with the campus community, spectators, students, student-athletes, and other constituents
- Ability to exhibit professionalism and be an exemplary representative of UW-Parkside
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships within a diverse, academic environment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and troubleshoot and problem solve daily
- Ability to work outside in hot and cold weather conditions
- Ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to solve complex problems and time-sensitive issues
- Skill to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and with attention to detail
- Strong, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide-range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate special events
THE UNIVERSITY AND AREA
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University’s primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
Applications received by 11:59 PM February 4, 2018, are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Candidate Apply Here (Candidates not currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) – follow link then continue to STEP 2
Internal Candidate Apply Here (Candidates currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) – follow link then under “Main Menu” choose:
- “Self Service”
STEP 2: Under "Job Search" choose:
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "13925"
- Select "Head Athletic Trainer"
- Click "Apply"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- Names and contact information of three references
You must select "SUBMIT", selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
If you have questions about how to apply go to https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21544
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidate’s application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Contact Name: Ryan Ridley
Contact Phone: 262-595-2245
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org