Academic Staff - Head Women's Basketball Coach (Public May Apply)
Code: 14301 Posted: 05/09/2018
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Head Basketball Coach.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Athletics, the Head Women’s Basketball Coach will be responsible for the operation and management of all aspects of the program, including but not limited to: scheduling, budgeting, recruiting, fundraising, practice and game planning, student-athlete development, and community engagement. Due to the nature of this work, a willingness and flexibility to work nights and weekends is required. This position is a campus security authority and mandatory reporter as defined by federal and state law. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- Three or more years’ experience as a head coach or assistant coach at the collegiate level
- Demonstrated knowledge and success within the sport
- Experience in working/interacting with a diverse population
- Master’s Degree
- Previous collegiate head coach experience
- Knowledge of NCAA II rules and regulations
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Management, Leadership, and Execution of Women’s Basketball Program:
- Responsible for the overall management, leadership and execution of the women’s basketball program, fostering a positive educational and competitive environment on and off the court.
- Execute all responsibilities in accordance with the NCAA, UW-Parkside, University of Wisconsin System, and UW-Parkside Foundation policies and procedures.
- Plan, organize, and manage all phases of the women’s basketball program; to include:
- Development and implementation of game strategy/techniques and position assignments both individually with student athletes and in groups
- Continual education of student-athlete skill development and mental/motivating techniques for competition
- Scheduling and supervision of practice sessions and games
- Recruiting student-athletes
- Monitoring and maintaining the discipline and conduct of student-athletes to support the image and reputation of the athletics program.
- Develop and manage the women’s basketball program budget in collaboration with the athletics administration.
- Commitment to operating all aspects of the program in compliance with NCAA rules and regulations.
- Develop and supervise:
- A full-time assistant coach
- other members of the coaching staff and student managers
- fundraising activities for the women’s basketball program in conjunction with the Director of Athletics
- women’s basketball camps and clinics, including budget management
- Collaborate with strength and conditioning coaches on a strength and conditioning program for women’s basketball.
- Attend staff meetings, compliance education sessions, and development opportunities.
- Consistently demonstrate a positive team player attitude.
- Represent the athletics department through collaboration with a variety of campus groups.
- Represent UW-Parkside as appropriate with the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) and the NCAA.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- Overall thoroughness, organization, accuracy, and availability of appropriate skills and abilities to perform the position.
- Adequacy, timeliness, and accuracy in all aspects of the position to meet University, conference, and NCAA rules and guidelines.
- Timeliness of meeting goals.
- Willingness to make suggestions that are sound for the overall benefit of the program.
- Ability to use sound judgment in making operational decisions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work while being responsive to University personnel.
- Timely and effective communication of problems and opportunities. This includes the responsibility for identifying and communicating information of importance as soon as possible.
- Integrity in dealing with customers, students, vendors, employees, and management.
- Punctuality, attendance, effective use of time, and willingness to work overtime when necessary.
- Maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Willingness to assist with special projects and other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Comprehensive knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations, preferably Division II, and commitment to the student-athlete concept and NCAA Life in the Balance.
- Considerable knowledge of and adherence to NCAA, conference, and university rules and regulations.
- Sufficient organization skills to direct the program academically, athletically, developmentally, financially, and socially.
- Ability to create a positive coach/student-athlete relationship, including balancing academics with athletics and creating a supportive environment to develop athletes on and off the court in areas such as leadership, teamwork, maturity and goal setting.
- Ability to have excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to exhibit professionalism at all times and an ability to be an exemplary representative of UW-Parkside.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships within a diverse academic environment.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and troubleshoot and problem solve daily.
- Ability to travel frequently including nights and weekends.
- Ability to work on computers/laptop for an extended period of time.
- Ability to work with mobile devices and social media.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate and work with supervisor and Athletics management.
- Ability to supervise, possible supervision of volunteer or part-time assistant coaches.
- Sufficient mobility to perform coaching duties.
- Sufficient mobility to perform event management duties.
- Ability to drive vehicle for recruiting and travel.
THE UNIVERSITY AND AREA
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University’s primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
Applications received by 11:59 PM Friday, May 25th, 2018, are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu (Candidates NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) – follow link then continue to STEP 2
Internal Applicants: https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu (Candidates currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) – follow link then under “Main Menu” choose:
STEP 2: Under "Job Search" choose:
If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
You must select "SUBMIT", selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
If you have questions about how to apply go to https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21544
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
If you have any questions, need accommodations, or submitted your application with missing materials, call or email:
University of Wisconsin Parkside
Office: (262) 595-2245
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act.
Note: Criminal Background Check - The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applicants should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report
Contact Name: Ryan Ridley
Contact Phone: 262-595-2245
Contact Email: email@example.com