Academic Staff - Research and Instruction Librarian (Public May Apply)
Academic Staff - Research and Instruction Librarian (Public May Apply)
Code: 12896 Posted: 03/08/2017
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Research and Instruction Librarian.
The Librarian in this position provides essential academic library services—research help, instruction, program liaisonship and collection development. This service-oriented position will demonstrate a good understanding of print and electronic resources and library services and the ability to introduce and explain them to the user community. The person will make presentations and teach classes and individuals. This librarian will work with library technology and learn new technology and applications frequently. The individual will develop new programs for a diverse student body and must have effective interpersonal skills and work collegially in a team environment. The position will serve as the main outreach librarian to schools to bridge the gap between high school and college and will organize and manage appropriate programming. The incumbant will develop first-year student library initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
25% A. Provide Reference Service
- Assist users with library resources by providing reference services and determining their information needs though reference interviews in all formats.
- Develop strategies to introduce library reference services to first-year students.
- Participate in in-person and online library instruction program for students, community groups, school groups.
- Create and maintain online library instruction and subject guides.
- Travel as needed to high schools to introduce students to college research.
- Serve as liaison to faculty in assigned areas for purposes of collection development, instruction, and reference.
- Work closely with student services personnel to develop and maintain new connections with high school and other school groups.
- Collaborate with other library and campus employees and students to create programming and displays.
- Serve on Library teams and campus and UW System committees.
- Represent library in campus recruitment efforts.
- Maintain awareness of current trends and new professional techniques.
- Participate in professional development activities; attend training sessions on and off campus.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters degree from an ALA-accredited library school
- Experience preparing and delivering presentations
- Strong computer skills and ability to find and learn new programs independently.
- Ability to work collegially in small groups and team environment
- Experience working with a diverse, multicultural population
- Commitment to professional development
- Experience providing library research help
- Experience in providing reference and instruction in an academic library;
- Experience in planning and implementing outreach initiatives
- Spanish language skills or the willingness to learn fundamental Spanish
- Any specialized area of interest or skill, such as graphic design, project management, outreach, XML expertise, new formats or others.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Comprehensive knowledge of web applications and emerging technologies as they contribute to meeting the needs of students, faculty, and staff
- Ability and experience to plan, manage and oversee complex projects, meet deadlines, and to prioritize work in alignment with the service goals of the library and the university
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent service to a diverse body of users, both internal and external customers
- Ability to work collegialy in small groups and a team environment
- Ability to think critically, analyze problems, and develop and implement creative solutions
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Strong technical skills and the ability to independently learn new tech applications.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule for occasional campus or community events.
THE UNIVERSITY AND AREA
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University's primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
Applications received by 11:59 PM April 7, 2017, are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants Apply Here (candidates not currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) - follow link then continue to STEP 2
Internal Applicants Apply Here (candidates currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) - follow link, Login, then under "Main Menu" choose:
- "Self Service"
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "12896"
- Select "Research and Instruction Librarian"
- Click "Apply Now"
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter indicating the required and preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information of three references
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable at application stage)
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at 262-595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Contact Name: Lori King
Contact Phone: 262-595-2932
Contact Email: email@example.com