Academic Staff - Visiting Assistant Professor in Economics (Public May Appy)
Code: N/A Posted: 07/12/2017
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Visiting Assistant Professor in Economics. This is a temporary position for one year only.
Primary responsibilities of this position include teaching undergraduate courses (specifically principles of microeconomics, principles of macroeconomics, intermediate macroeconomics, and international trade), engaging in research and creative activity in economics, and providing service to the department, university, and community. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in economics and Ph.D. candidate in economics (i.e., all but dissertation) will be considered for Visiting Lecturer position. Ph.D. in economics will be considered for Visiting Assistant Professor position
- Ability to teach economics courses
- Commitment to teaching excellence
- Experience teaching principles of microeconomics or principles of macroeconomics
- Experience teaching both microeconomics and macroeconomics
- Experience teaching intermediate macroeconomics and international trade
- Teaching experience with multicultural populations
- Experience with community–based learning and high-impact pedagogies
- Engage in research that can involve students and enhance student learning
- Experience using learning management system software
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teach economics courses in principles of microeconomics, principles of macroeconomics, intermediate macro theory, international trade, industrial organization and public policy, or other upper–level undergraduate courses as assigned
- Schedule and hold regular office hours
- Conduct course assessments and provide student feedback
- Assign student course grades
10% Scholarly research, creative activity, and professional development:
- Perform scholarly work
- Publish in journals and present research at conferences
- Perform consulting type activities
- Attend departmental meetings
- Assist with department activities and events
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to teach face-to-face economics courses in a traditional university classroom equipped with a chalkboard and multimedia technology
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, and staff verbally, electronically (via email, Skype, or FaceTime), and in writing
- Ability to conduct 53–minute and 82–minute class sessions
- Ability to use Desire2Learn course management software
- Ability to use other course content development tools and resources (software and hardware)
- Ability to work in an office and meet with individual students
THE UNIVERSITY AND AREA
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University’s primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
Application deadline is August 7, 2017. Applications will be reviewed immediately upon receipt and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Interested candidates should submit the following to the Point of Contact listed below. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are sent:
- Current CV
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- Evidence of teaching experience (e.g. teaching evaluations)
- Names, e-mails, and phone numbers of 2 references
- Unofficial transcripts
It is the policy of UW Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Human Resources Office at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
A criminal background check and degree verification is part of the application process.
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
Contact Name: Connie Wheeler
Contact Phone: 262-595-2314
Contact Email: email@example.com