The Geography Department at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside
seeks applicants for a Non Tenure-Track Visiting Assistant Professor of Geography
, scheduled to start at the beginning of the 2017-2018 academic year. This is a one year position only.
Responsibilities include teaching Geography courses. This position will teach 24 credits annually (4/4 standard fall/spring course teaching load) in the Geography program. This position will teach undergraduate courses in physical geography and other areas of Geography as assigned by the Geography Department Chair. Opportunities to teach additional courses in the summer semester may be available for additional compensation depending upon the needs of the Geography Department. In addition, the position will be expected to contribute service to UW-Parkside, the College of Social Sciences and Professional Studies, the Geography Department, and the community. This position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. or ABD in Geography or related field
- Ability to teach introductory physical geography
- Ability to teach one or more of the following courses: GIS applications, climate change, remote sensing, or advanced courses in area of specialty
- Commitment to contribute to the Department's programs in geospatial technology
- Teaching experience at the undergraduate level
- Commitment to undergraduate education
- Experience in high school and/or community outreach
- Experience with diversity and diverse situations
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES80% Teaching:
- Teaching introductory physical geography courses
- Teaching advanced geography courses in one or more of GIS applications, climate change, remote sensing, other area of specialty, or as assigned
- Performs other duties related to teaching as assigned
Essential Knowledge and Abilities:
- Service to UW-Parkside, the College of Social Sciences and Professional Studies, the Geography Department, and the community
- Contribute service to the Geography Department's programs in geospatial technology
- Perform other duties related to service as assigned
- Knowledge and ability to teach geography courses
- Knowledge and ability to provide service to the Geography Department
- The position is not responsible for money or university funds or accounts which hold financial information
- Ergonomic requirements include sufficient mobility and dexterity to move around office, classrooms, campus, and the community. Ability to work with keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Ability to instruct classes, attend meetings, and workshops.
- Equipment to be used on the job includes laptop or desktop computers, printers, copier, projectors, telephones including voice mail and FAX.
THE UNIVERSITY AND AREA
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University's primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
Applications received by 11:59 PM February 15, 2017, are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
APPLICATION PROCESSSTEP 1:
Please select the applicable link below:External Applicants
(NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)Internal Applicants
(Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)STEP 2:
Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
- "Advanced Search"
- Job Opening ID: "12600"
- Find Jobs Posted Within: "Anytime"
- Select "Visiting Assistant Professor of Geography"
- Click "Apply Now"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- Letter of application addressing your qualifications for the position
- A full Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Any recent teaching evaluations
- Names and current contact information of three professional references
You must select "SUBMIT", selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.Please Note:
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdfTotal Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at 262-595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.