University Staff - Public May Apply - Custodians (3 openings)
Code: 141 Posted: 11/25/2015
Custodians [3 openings – (2) 1st shift, (1) 3rd Shift]
Facilities Maintenance Department
University of Wisconsin-Parkside
The University of Wisconsin Parkside currently has three vacancies for Custodians: two are 1st shift and one is 3rd shift. These are full-time, non-represented, non-exempt university staff positions. A six month probation period will be required.
1st shift M-F 5AM to 1:30PM
3rd shift SU-TH 10PM to 6AM
The public, UW Parkside, and UW System employees are encouraged to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities for the Custodian position is maintenance of campus buildings and furnishings; maintenance of custodial equipment and supply closets; perform detailed cleaning as needed; and recognize problems and take appropriate corrective action to perform required routine maintenance.
90% A. Maintenance of campus buildings and furnishings to provide an environment conducive to the educational process.
A1. Manually sweep, mop and clean offices, classrooms, bathrooms, hallways, stairs and elevators.
A2. Operate power equipment to strip or scrub and refinish hard surface floors.
A3. Collection of waste and recyclable materials including their placement in proper receptacles or collection sites.
A4. Wash windows, walls, chalk boards, desk tops, tables and stair wells.
A5. Clean and disinfect, polish stainless steel and replenish restrooms with building supplies.
A6. Clean light fixtures and replace light bulbs.
A7. Operate power equipment to extract carpets and clean upholstered furniture.
A8. Wash, polish and dust furniture routinely, as needed.
A9. Remove snow from walk ways and drives to allow access to buildings, manually or with a snow blower.
A10. Detail cleaning: Detail duties, i.e., dust shelving, paintings, and wall hangings, dust/clean blinds, wash doors, walls, windows, vents, light fixtures and handrails as needed.
3% B. Maintenance of custodial equipment and supply closets to insure smooth operation and continuous maintenance in one's assigned area.
B1. Operate custodial equipment and perform regular cleaning and inspections for adjustment and repair. Notify supervisor in writing of needed adjustments and repairs.
B2. Maintain an orderly stock of supplies in supply closets for distribution.
B3. Communicate in writing what is wrong with the equipment.
5% C. Recognize problems and perform required routine maintenance in order to take the appropriate corrective action.
C1.Coordinate work schedules to fit into daily activity or assigned area and establishes a routine.
C2. Participate in training session on operation of equipment and maintenance methods.
C3. Notify superior of equipment and facilities in need of repair.
C4. Communicate and work with management and the occupants of assigned areas to ensure a high degree of cleanliness and proper waste handling.
2% D. Performance of other maintenance operations as directed by Supervisor.
D1. Maintain simple records and make reports on activities as needed.
D2. Move furniture and equipment as required.
D3. Assist other crew members with supervisor's permission, expediting big cleaning duties. Work as a team member.
Required knowledges skills and abilities
- Physical strength and stamina necessary to perform required work such as the ability to bend, stoop, kneel, move furniture (lift, push and pull), and work on feet for long periods of time.
- Ability to conduct Inventory/Tagging of new equipment and furniture.
- Ability to conduct routine repair of custodial equipment.
- Willingness to accept supervisor's suggestions.
- Aptitude to learn from oral instruction by listening and asking questions.
- Aptitude to learn functions and use of standard cleaning implements.
- Able to read work instructions and schedules, warning signs and instructions for equipment operation.
- Knowledge of proper methods, materials, and equipment used in a variety of building cleaning, sanitizing and preservation work.
- Willingness to perform repetitive tasks.
- Ability to consistently engage in professional interactions with students, coworkers, supervisors and the public.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse, multicultural environment.
- Ability to read written directions without assistance.
- Ability to use cleaning supplies, floor stripper and wax, carpet cleaning supplies
- Ability to use a vacuum, broom, mop, window washing equipment, carpet cleaner, screwdriver, scrapper, and manual cleaning equipment.
- Good work habits, such as attendance, punctuality, accountability, thoroughness, and resourcefulness are essential for this position.
- Frequent lifting and bending.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Walking between various parts of the building is required.
- Frequent back and forth motion of arms required for vacuuming.
- Frequent pushing/pulling of various sized carts and furniture.
- Ability to reach above head to clean high areas.
- Frequent up and down motion of the upper arms and reaching above the head required for cleaning.
- Ability to climb ladders and perform tasks in high and confined spaces.
- Ability to shovel snow.
Equipment to be used on the job:
(By each piece of equipment, put an "F" for frequent use, an "O" for occasional use, or an "R" for rare use.)
Tools: (power or manual tools)
F - vacuum, dust mop, wet mop, power washer
O - window washing equipment, scrapper
R - screwdriver
Large Machinery: (includes vehicles)
F - vacuum cleaner
O - auto scrubber, rotary scrubber, carpet cleaner, high lift, golf cart, department vehicle
R - pressure washer
Electrical Equipment: (i.e. floor buffer, includes office equipment)
Same as above
Chemicals: (includes cleaning supplies, lab chemicals, hazardous waste)
F - cleaning supplies, floor stripper, wax and carpet cleaning supple, restroom cleaners, acid bowl cleaner and descaler.
- Physical ability to perform the functions of the position
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Previous custodial experience
- Possession of eligibility to obtain a valid driver license upon appointment
- Ability to perform minimal computer functions, such as punch in/out on web clock and use email
Salary and Benefits
Minimum hourly pay of $11.511 based upon qualifications and experience. This position will earn an additional $0.60 per hour for all weekend hours worked and an additional $0.45 per hour for all hours worked between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/Univ-staff.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released.
See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Review of Applications
Applications must be submitted online by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, December 9, 2015.
STEP 1: Click on the appropriate link below.
https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu: (NOT currently employed by the UW System)
http://my.wisconsin.edu: (Currently employed by the UW System)
STEP 2: You must login before you can apply.
Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login". If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process. Under "Basic Job Search" enter the Keyword "Parkside" and click the Search button. Select "Custodian". Click "Apply Now".
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Please include the following documents:
STEP 4: You must select "SUBMIT".
If you have application questions call or email:
Contact Name: Jennifer Wagner
Contact Phone: (262) 595-2576
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org