Faculty - Assistant/Associate Professor of Computer Science (Public May Apply)
Faculty - Assistant/Associate Professor of Computer Science (Public May Apply)
Code: 12588 Posted: 01/06/2017
The Computer Science Department at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside seeks applicants for a Tenure-Track Assistant/Associate Professor of Computer Science, scheduled to start in the 2017-2018 academic year.
Responsibilities include teaching undergraduate and graduate classes in Computer Science courses. This position will teach 24 credits annually in the Computer Science program. This position will teach classes in both the undergraduate and graduate programs as assigned by the Computer Science Department Chair. Opportunities to teach additional courses in the summer and winterim semesters may be available in both programs for additional compensation depending upon the needs of the Computer Science Department. This position is expected to establish and maintain an active research program in the Computer Science field. In addition, the position will be expected to contribute service to UW-Parkside, the College of Business, Economics, and Computing, the Computer Science Department, profession and community including advising students in the Computer Science program.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or related field
- Demonstrated ability to teach Computer Science classes
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with students, staff, and colleagues, in writing
- University teaching experience with a diverse, multicultural population
- Demonstrated experience teaching programming and software development courses
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally with students, staff, and colleagues
- Demonstrated experience teaching specialized programming
- Demonstrated experience with data analytics: teaching and/or research
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teach undergraduate computer science courses and graduate computer and information system courses as assigned by the department
- Participate in teaching courses for the World Wide Web Publishing Certificate, the Unix System Administration Certificate, the Mobile Development Certificate and the Cyber-Security Certificate
- Prepare classes, syllabi, and coursework; develop new classes; provide instruction during class time; help students outside of class; provide feedback to students; provide student grades
- Student advising; serving on department, college, and university committees; assisting with department and university events; contributions to community projects
- Perform scholarly work; publish in conference and journals; write grant applications; perform consulting type activities
- Service includes student advising, serving on departmental and university committees, assisting in departmental and university events. Contribute to community projects and events.
- Knowledge and ability to teach classes in computer science (onsite and online)
- Knowledge and ability to conduct research and scholarly activities
- Ability to effectively communicate with students and staff, orally and in writing
- The position is not responsible for money or university funds of accounts which hold financial information
- Ability to work in office, computer science lab, and classroom. Ability to use computers, mobile devices, copiers, printers, document cameras, and other equipment as needed for teaching.
- Laptop or desktop computer, mobile devices, printer, copier, projector, document cameras, telephone including voice mail and FAX, other equipment as needed for teaching
THE UNIVERSITY AND AREA
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University's primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
Applications received by 11:59 December 19, are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled. If you are applying after the deadline please send you application to the point of contact listed below.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
- "Advanced Search"
- Job Opening ID: "12588"
- Find Jobs Posted Within: "Anytime"
- Select "Assistant/Associate Professor of Computer Science"
- Click "Apply Now"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- A letter of application addressing your qualifications for the position
- A full Curriculum Vitae
- A statement of teaching philosophy
- Description of teaching interests
- Syllabi for courses taught and student evaluations (if applicable)
- Names and contact information of three professional references (letters will be requested later)
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable at application stage)
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at 262-595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Contact Name: Connie Wheeler
Contact Phone: 262-595-2314
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org