Faculty - Assistant Professor in Politics (Public May Apply)
Code: 13561 Posted: 10/06/2017
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside seeks applications for a Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in Politics, scheduled to start in the 2018-2019 academic year.
Responsibilities include teaching American Politics Courses. This position will teach 24 credits annually (4/4 standard fall/spring course teaching load) in the Political Science program. This position will teach classes in both the undergraduate and a planned graduate program as assigned by the Politics, Philosophy, and Law Department Chair. Opportunities to teach additional courses in the summer and winterim semesters may be available in both programs for additional compensation depending upon the needs of the Politics, Philosophy, and Law Department. This position is expected to establish and maintain an active research program in the American Politics field. In addition, the position will be expected to contribute service to UW-Parkside, the College of Social Sciences and Professor Studies, the Politics, Philosophy, and Law Department, profession and community including advising students in the Political Science program.
- Ph.D in Political Science or related field at the time of employment
- Demonstrated ability to teach courses in American Politics
- Candidates with expertise in a public policy sub-field
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teaching courses including American Politics, American Institutions, and other courses as needed and within the competency of the candidate
- Establish and maintain an active research program
- Service to Politics, Philosophy, and Law Department, College of Social Sciences and Professional Studies, UW-Parkside, profession and community including advising students in the Politics, Philosophy, and Law program
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge and ability to teach American Politics courses
- Knowledge and ability to conduct research and scholarly activities
- The position is not responsible for money or university funds of accounts which hold financial information
- Ergonomic requirements: sufficient mobility and dexterity to move around office, campus and community. Ability to work with keyboard, mouse and monitor. Ability to attend meetings, workshops, seminars and conferences.
- Equipment to be used on the job: laptop or desktop computer, printer, copier, projector, telephone including voice mail and FAX
THE UNIVERSITY AND AREA
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University’s primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
Applications received by 11:59 PM November 6, 2017, are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Candidate Apply Here (Candidates not currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) – follow link then continue to STEP 2
Internal Candidate Apply Here (Candidates currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) – follow link then under “Main Menu” choose:
- “Self Service”
STEP 2: Under "Job Search" choose:
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "13561"
- Select "Assistant Professor in Politics"
- Click "Apply Now"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position
- Names and contact information of three references
- One research paper
- Teaching evaluations
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable at application stage)
You must select "SUBMIT", selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
If you have questions about how to apply go to https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21544
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidate’s application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Contact Name: Paul Aceto
Contact Phone: 262-595-2177
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org