Administrative Staff - Library Director - Public May Apply
Code: 147 Posted: 02/12/2016
Library at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside
Position Location: Southeastern, WI
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Library Director.
Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, the Library Director will be responsible for leadership and administration. This position has full oversight of the library's internal operations and external interactions and outreach. The Library at the University of Wisconsin Parkside is highly interactive with Campus Technology Services and is a full, rich, dynamic and collaborative place for students, faculty, staff and the public.
- Masters degree or higher in Library and Information Science, or similar field.
- Minimum three years of increasing administrative responsibility in an academic library.
- Prior experience in customer service and serving diverse populations.
- Prior experience working through major library technology implementations.
- Experience using a variety of technologies for library operations and services.
- A second Masters degree or a PhD.
- Prior experience mentoring and supervising professionals and support staff in the library setting.
- Prior experience fostering new and existing shared services within the library and with other departments.
- Prior experience developing or maintaining a highly collaborative, flexible environment for library personnel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops, communicates and implements a vision focused on student success.
- Provides vision and strategic direction for library services in alignment with the university's mission and core themes.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of the library strategic plan.
- Demonstrates successful collaborations with Campus Technology Services and other university departments throughout the campus.
- Maintains a collegial atmosphere amongst library personnel.
- Keeps abreast of emerging trends and issues in academic libraries by reading current literature, communicating with colleagues, and participating in professional meetings and workshops.
- Works collaboratively within a highly flexible environment with library staff and others.
- Prepares and monitors the operational budget and oversees the purchase of library resources, supplies and equipment.
- Recruits, supervises, mentors and evaluates library personnel to effectively meet the changing library and campus needs.
- Encourages professional development of staff to ensure a highly skilled and knowledgeable workforce.
- Communicates effectively with the campus administration and all faculty, staff and student body.
- Actively engages in the UW System-wide collaborative work of the Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries, and other local and national professional organizations.
- Serves on university committees as appointed or invited.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent knowledge of current trends and issues in academic libraries.
- A minimum of three years of increasing administrative responsibility in an academic library.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a Consortial setting.
- Ability to maintain a highly collaborative, flexible environment for library personnel.
- Demonstrated experience in planning, assessment, and evaluation in collaboration with faculty, staff, administration and students.
- Ability to adapt to changing needs of the university and UW System and broader community.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent service to a diverse body of users; both internal and external customers.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication.
- Ability to lead and manage the evolution of the library as technology reshapes its operations.
- Thorough understanding of appropriate technology for library operations and services.
- Strong commitment to customer service and diversity.
- Ability to mentor and supervise professionals and support staff in a library setting.
- Ability to envision and foster new and existing shared services within the library and with other departments.
The University and Area
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is a comprehensive campus of the University of Wisconsin System with approximately 4800 students, 120 faculty, and 70 instructional academic staff offering 33 undergraduate majors and 3 master's degrees in 22 academic departments. The campus is located between the cities of Kenosha and Racine in southeastern Wisconsin, within the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor.
The university is situated on 700 acres of prairie and woodland approximately two miles west of Lake Michigan. Consisting of 15 buildings, the coherence and unity of the original campus design within its natural landscape has been sustained over four decades of development. Recent additions include a renovated and expanded student center, a 250 bed suite-style residence hall, and a greatly expanded and renovated center for the arts and humanities. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
Review of Applications
Applications will be accepted through 11:59 pm on Tuesday, March 15, 2016.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
- "Advanced Search"
- Job Opening ID: "11472"
- Find Jobs Posted Within: "Anytime"
- Select "Library Director"
- Click "Apply Now"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications and specifically includes a project that demonstrates your customer service skills and commitment to diversity
- Names and contact information for three references
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable at application stage)
You must select "SUBMIT", selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
If you have any questions, need accommodations, or submitted your application with missing materials, call or email:
Operations Program Associate
Campus Technology Services
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Contact Name: Nora Keller
Contact Phone: (262) 595-2221
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org