UNIVERSITY STAFF CUSTODIAN 1ST SHIFT 2 POSITIONS
CUSTODIAN 1ST SHIFT 2 POSITIONS
Code: 13885 Posted: 01/05/2018
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside currently has two 1st Shift vacancies for a Custodian in the Facilities Management Department.
This position is a university staff, full-time, non-exempt, non-represented position. A six month permissive probation period may be required. Scheduled hours of work are Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Maintenance of campus buildings, furnishings, custodial equipment and supply closets and other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
90% A. Maintenance of campus buildings and furnishings
- Manually sweep, mop and clean offices, classrooms, bathrooms, hallways, stairs and elevators.
- Operate power equipment to strip or scrub and refinish hard surface floors.
- Collection of waste and recyclable materials including their placement in proper receptacles or collection sites.
- Wash windows, walls, chalk boards, desk tops, tables and stair wells.
- Clean/disinfect, polish stainless steel and replenish restrooms with building supplies.
- Clean light fixtures and replace light bulbs.
- Operate power equipment to extract carpets and clean upholstered furniture.
- Wash, polish and dust furniture routinely, as needed.
- Remove snow from walk ways and drives to allow access to buildings, manually or with a snow blower.
- Detail cleaning: Detail duties, i.e., dust shelving, paintings, and wall hangings, dust/clean blinds, wash doors, walls, windows, vents, light fixtures and handrails as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
3% B. Maintenance of custodial equipment and supply closets
- Operate custodial equipment with regular cleaning and inspection.
- Communicate in writing what the issue with equipment is to the supervisor.
- Maintain an orderly stock of supplies in supply closets for distribution.
5% C. recognize problems and perform required routine maintenance
- Coordinate work schedules to fit into daily activity or assigned area and establish a routine.
- Participate in training session on operation of equipment and maintenance methods.
- Notify superior of equipment and facilities in need of repair orally or in writing.
- Ability to consistently engage in professional interactions with students, coworker, supervisor and the public.
- Good work habits, such as attendance, punctuality, accountability, thoroughness, and resourcefulness are essential for this position.
2% D. Performance of other maintenance operations as directed by Supervisor.
- Maintain simple records and make reports on activities as needed.
- Move furniture and equipment as required. (lift, push, pull)
- Assist other crew members with supervisor’s permission, expediting big cleaning duties. Ability to work as a team member.
- Marginal Job Functions:
- Power washing
- Prepare areas for special events
Essential Knowledge And Abilities
- Must have the aptitude to learn from oral and written instructions by listening and asking questions.
- Clean classrooms and offices: clean chalkboards, empty wastebaskets and pencil sharpeners; sweep floors; dust chairs, desks, tables, replace lights; clean fixtures; wash walls and windows; seal and wax floors and clean erasers.
- Clean restrooms empty wastebaskets, sweep floors, clean toilet bowls, clean urinals, clean mirrors, wash and dust fixtures, wet mop floors, clean wash bowls and supply dispensers.
- Clean corridors and steps; dust and wash woodwork, wet mop floor area and steps, clean drinking fountains, clean and replace lights, wash walls, and clean windows and other glass.
- Fill in for employees on leave of absence (vacation, sick leave, etc.)
- Must be willing to accept supervisor's directions.
- Must be able to communicate well with Supervisor and other members on the staff.
- Must be able to work on a lift in high and confined spaces
- Responsible for Money, University Funds or Accounts which hold financial information? No
- Ergonomic Requirements:
- Frequent lifting and bending
- Physical ability to lift 50 lbs. from the floor to waist occasionally.
- Physical ability to stand and walk continuously throughout an eight hour shift.
- Must have the physical strength and stamina to perform required work.
- Ability to push, pull, reach, bend, twist, stoop, and kneel.
- Ability to reach above your head, walk stairs and climb ladders.
- Frequent up and down motion of arms required for cleaning.
- Ability to tolerate temperature extremes when performing snow removal activities.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring repetitive motion.
Education, Experience, Training And/or Certifications
- Ability to read and understand written directions without assistance
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Ability to work in high and confined spaces
- Ability to be trained on and use all custodial equipment
- Ability to carry out multiple work assignments
- Previous custodial experience
- Possession of or eligibility to obtain a valid driver’s license upon appointment
- Ability to perform minimal computer functions such as punch in/out on web clock and email
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate of $12.61 depending on qualifications and experience.
Review of Applications
Applications received by Friday, January 19, 2018 are ensured full consideration.
HOW TO APPLY:
All applications are to be submitted electronically through our employment portal.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
"Advanced Search", Job Opening ID: "13885"
Find Jobs Posted Within: "Anytime" click "Search"
Select "Facilities Repair Worker", click "Apply Now"
You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login". If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process.
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration..
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Contact Name: Sherry Craig
Contact Phone: (262) 595-3621
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org