- Campus Life
- Admissions + Aid
- Athletics + Arts
- Alumni + Partners
- About Us
Code: 13543 Posted: 09/28/2017
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside currently has 4 vacancies for a Custodian in the Facilities Management Department.
This position is a university staff, full-time, non-exempt, non-represented position. A six month permissive probation period may be required. Scheduled hours of work are Sunday through Thursday, 10:00 pm – 6:00 am.
Under the limited supervision of the Custodial Supervisor, this position is responsible for providing custodial services (general cleaning and maintenance) in offices, classrooms, restrooms, and all similar areas on the University campus.
Duties are to be performed in a professional and safe manner, with an emphasis on customer service. Daily routines, duties, assignments and buildings may vary or may be static, depending on work requirements and staffing needs. Primary shifts are either 5:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. or 10:00 p.m. – 6:00 a.m. This position may occasionally be asked to work hours in excess of the normal shift; schedule adjustments may be made with appropriate notice in order to meet operational hours and department needs. Some activities performed require appropriate personal protective equipment and all activities are performed in accordance with custodial unit standard operating procedures, safety practices and campus policies. Some positions in this job classification (job title) are designated as essential employees who must report to work as scheduled when University offices are closed due to severe weather; the supervisor will communicate whether the particular position is considered essential and under what situation. The goals and work activities listed are intended to describe the essential functions of persons assigned to this job. They are not intended as an exhaustive list of all job duties responsibilities and requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
90% Maintenance of campus buildings and furnishings to provide an environment conducive to the educational operation.
1. Manually sweep, mop and clean offices, classrooms, bathrooms, hallways, stairs and elevators daily.
2. Dust mop and wet mop floors and halls, stairwells and exterior entrances.
3. Refinish hard surface floors seasonally.
4. Vacuum and shampoo surfaces and carpets frequently daily.
5. Move supplies, furniture file cabinets, tables and other equipment.
6. Operate power equipment to vacuum, strip, scrub and shampoo.
7. Operate industrial vacuum cleaners and carpet extractors.
8. Collect and dispose of waste and recyclable materials from offices, classrooms, labs and hallways and other areas including their placement in proper receptacles or collection sites daily.
9. Wash windows, walls, chalk boards, desk tops, tables and stairwells.
10. Clean, disinfect and polish stainless steel and replenish restrooms.
11. Remove snow and ice from steps, entryways and sidewalks seasonally.
13. Report to work as scheduled, be available according to expectation of work schedule and follow proper notification policies when unable to do so.
14. Coordinate work schedules to fit into daily activity or assigned area and establish a routine.
15. Engage consistently in professional interactions with students, co-workers, supervisor and the public constantly.
16. Demonstrate effective work habits, including attendance, punctuality, accountability, thoroughness, and resourcefulness daily.
17. Maintain simple records and make reports on activities as needed.
18. Move furniture and equipment as required. Reset classrooms on a daily basis.
19. Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in obtaining and maintaining its mission.
5% Maintenance of custodial equipment and supply closets to insure smooth operation and continuous maintenance in one’s assigned area.
1. Perform regular cleaning and inspection of custodial equipment used on job.
2. Notify supervisor verbally or in writing of equipment issues.
3. Maintain orderly stock of supplies for distribution in supply closets within assigned area.
5% The ability to recognize problems and perform required routine maintenance in order to take the appropriate corrective action.
1. Participate in training on operation of equipment and maintenance methods.
2. Assist other crew members, with supervisor’s permission, to expedite major cleaning projects.
Essential Knowledge and Abilities
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. Individuals must possess the necessary physical requirements with or without the aid of mechanical devices to safely perform the essential functions of the job.
Rare 1-10%; 1-5 min/hour; < 1 hr/day
Occasional 11-33%; 6-20 min/hr; 1-2.5 hr/day
Frequent 34-66%; 21-40 min/hr; 2.5 – 5.5 hr/day
Constant 67-100%; 41-60 min/hr; > 5.5 hr/day
Equipment Used on Job
Vacuum, broom/mop, window washing equipment, shower cleaning equipment, screwdriver, scraper, snow shovel, hand cleaning equipment, computer, bucket, carts, dolly, ladder, lift bucket
Industrial vacuum cleaner, carpet cleaner, large vacuum, high lift, boom lift, T16, 7200, Tom Cat, Walk Behind
Vacuum, carpet cleaner, backpack vacuum, rotary scrubber, pool cleaner, burnisher
Cleaning supplies, floor stripper and wax, carpet cleaning supplies
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Gloves, boots, protective footwear, protective eyewear, N95 filtering face piece, hearing protection, seasonal clothing
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate of $12.61 depending on qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Review of Applications
Applications received by Friday, October 13, 2017 are ensured full consideration.
HOW TO APPLY:
All applications are to be submitted electronically through our employment portal.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
"Advanced Search", Job Opening ID: "13543"
Find Jobs Posted Within: "Anytime" click "Search"
Select "Custodian", click "Apply Now"
You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login". If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process.
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report
Contact Name: Sherry Craig
Contact Phone: (262) 595-3621
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org