University Staff Gardener (Public May Apply)
University Staff Gardner (Public May Apply)
Code: 13532 Posted: 09/25/2017
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside currently has a vacancy for a Gardener in the Facilities Management Department.
This position is a university staff, full-time, non-exempt, non-represented position. A six month permissive probation period may be required. Scheduled hours of work are Monday through Friday, 6 am – 2:30 pm.
Maintenance of trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals as well as all interior foliage plants. Perform all duties to manage the greenhouse design, landscaping of all flower beds and propagate all annuals and perennials needed for design of all plantings. Perform grass cutting duties within a scheduled zone or as directed by your supervisor to include cutting, trimming and the application of fertilizer and pesticides. Perform snow removal duties within a scheduled zone or as directed by your supervisor to include plowing, shoveling and the application of snow and ice melting products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
20% A. Greenhouse Facility Management
- Assume lead responsibility for the production of all greenhouse stock as directed.
- Assume lead responsibility for the production, installation and maintenance of all interior plants.
- Assist in maintenance and restoration of all prairie and natural areas on campus.
- Direct limited term employees, students and other workers assisting with gardening duties.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records and reports on greenhouse operations.
- Maintain and repair all plant-rearing structures which include, but is not limited to, the greenhouse, propagating beds and containers.
- Maintain and adjust for an acceptable growing environment within the greenhouse and other propagation structures to facilitate the production of healthy plants. Proper control of temperature, light, fertilizer, water, soil media and sanitation are major components of this responsibility.
15% B. Maintenance of Campus Lawns and Athletic Turf.
- Mowing as needed.
- Operate mechanical equipment, such as grading and excavating equipment, power mowers, line trimmers, aerifiers, seeders, fertilizer spreaders and irrigation equipment as required to maintain healthy turf grass
- Reseed and sod turf areas as required.
- Apply pesticides and fertilizer as required.
- Irrigate turf areas as required.
- Assist with installs and maintaining irrigation systems and equipment.
15% Develop and design all landscapes of flowers, perennials and shrub beds.
- Assume lead responsibility in the design and planting of annual and perennial herbaceous species.
- Assume lead responsibility in greenhouse and nursery operations which pertain to maintenance of campus flower beds.
15% Maintenance of Interior Plants.
- Assume responsibility in the cleaning, watering, fertilizing and placement of plants used within campus interior areas.
- Assume lead responsibility in greenhouse operations which relate to interior plant maintenance.
10% Maintenance of Campus Trees and Shrubs
- Identify and control significant insect and disease problems.
- Plant and replace trees and shrubs as required.
- Prune trees and shrubs using appropriate hand and power tools as required.
- Fertilize, water and mulch trees and shrubs as required.
- Provide winter protection for trees and shrubs as required.
- Assume lead responsibility for greenhouse operations which pertain to campus trees and shrubs.
10% Maintenance of Sidewalks, Roadways and Parking Lots during Snow Season.
- Perform all operations necessary for effective and timely snow removal. Overtime may be required.
- Operate plow trucks, front end loads and snow shovels as required.
- Application of snow and ice melting products.
5% Responsibilities of Pesticide Application.
- Apply pesticides as directed by product label instructions and by supervisor.
- Weed, water, fertilize and use pesticides as required.
- Maintain proper certifications and pesticide license.
5% H. Performance of Miscellaneous Duties.
- Assist in the movement of interior equipment as required including set-ups for special events.
- Assist in duties performed by other departments as required.
- Maintain a valid commercial driver’s license for use of vehicles in performance of duties described in this position description.
- Perform routine maintenance on all equipment used for grounds maintenance.
- Perform maintenance on all grounds building areas as required.
- Perform routine campus clean-up operations.
- Observe and execute safety practices and procedures.
- Perform other duties as directed by supervisor.
3% I. Tool Utilization
- Apply knowledge and skills to select proper tools for efficient use and job performance.
- Equipment to be used on the job: (F - Frequently, O – Occasionally, R – Rarely)
F – Push mowers, chain saws, string trimmers, rototillers, pruning saws, pruners, rakes, hand tools.
b. Large Machinery:
F – Bobcat, front end loader, tractor and attachments, flatbed dump truck, riding lawn mower.
c. Electrical Equipment:
O – Computer, Fax.
O – Fertilizers, pesticides, cleaning supplies for greenhouse sanitation.
- Perform necessary paperwork to accurately reflect tasks completed and tools used in the completion of assigned work orders.
- Make repairs as needed and perform preventative maintenance. Use personal initiative without constant supervision.
2% Commitment to Professional Improvement
- Attend work-related lectures, seminars and field demonstrations as directed by supervisor.
- Make pertinent suggestions on the improvement of work related operations.
Essential Knowledge And Abilities
- Requires the performance under adverse conditions, working below grade and from elevated or uneven surfaces.
- The ability to climb ladders, traverse planks or walkways, squat, kneel, twist and lift heavy objects repeatedly and adequate balanced stability to accomplish the noted tasks is required.
- The ability to operate motor vehicles and specialized grounds equipment, performance of snow removal operation and performance of miscellaneous duties.
- Must have the aptitude to learn from oral and written instructions by listening and asking questions.
- Be willing and able to fill in for employees on leave of absence (vacation, sick leave, etc.).
- Must be willing to accept supervisor’s directions.
- Must be able to communicate well with the supervisor and other members on the staff.
- Must be able to work on a lift in high places and in confined spaces.
- Responsible for Money, University Funds or Accounts which hold financial information? Yes
- Must have the physical strength and stamina to perform required work. Lifting of up to 50 lbs. is sometimes necessary. Physical ability to stand and walk continuously throughout an eight hour shift. Ability to push, pull, reach, bend, twist, stoop and kneel. Ability to reach above your head, walk stairs and climb ladders. Ability to perform duties above 30 feet in order to prune trees. Ability to tolerate temperature extremes when performing outdoor activities (most grounds work, snow removal, etc.). Ability to perform tasks requiring repetitive motion.
Education, Experience, Training and/or Certifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to be trained on and use all grounds equipment.
- Ability to carry out multiple work assignments.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Acquire and maintain a valid driver’s license within 3 months of hire date.
- Acquire and maintain a Pesticide Applicator Certification and license.
- Ability to perform minimal computer functions such as punch in/out on webclock and email.
- Previous grounds maintenance experience.
- Landscaping or horticulture degree.
- Experience in snow removal in a commercial environment.
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate of $14.20 depending on qualifications and experience.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Review of Applications
Applications received by Friday, October 6, 2017 are ensured full consideration.
HOW TO APPLY:
All applications are to be submitted electronically through our employment portal.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
"Advanced Search", Job Opening ID: "13532"
Find Jobs Posted Within: "Anytime" click "Search"
Select "Gardener", click "Apply Now"
You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login". If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process.
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration..
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report
Contact Name: Sherry Craig
Contact Phone: (262) 595-3621
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org