The University of Wisconsin Parkside currently has a Vacancy in the Student Center at the University of Wisconsin Parkside.
Members of the public and UW Parkside and UW System employees with expected continuous employment, Project and Limited Term Employees, are encouraged to apply.
These are full-time, non-represented, non-exempt positions. A six month permissive probation period will be required.
2nd shift Tues.-Sat. 2:00 PM – 10:30 PM
The primary responsibilities for the Custodian position is maintenance of campus buildings and furnishings; maintenance of custodial equipment and supply closets; perform detailed cleaning as needed; and recognize problems and take appropriate corrective action to perform required routine maintenance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES75% A. Maintain the Student Center in a clean, sanitary and pleasant condition.
10% B. Prepare for scheduled events and functions.
- Sweep, mop, scrub, strip, seal and wax floors.
- Clean and polish fixtures and furnishings.
- Wash windows, walls, and tables.
- Use power equipment to vacuum and/or shampoo floors and upholster furniture.
- Clean light fixtures and replace bulbs.
- Collect and dispose of trash and recyclables.
- Remove snow from doorways and walkways.
- Perform a level 3 cleaning standard for facility and surfaces.
- Recognize routine problems and reform required routine maintenance.
10% C. Maintain building and equipment in a function and visually acceptable condition.
- Transport and/or rearrange furnishings.
- Setup and/or remove audiovisual or other equipment as needed.
- Assist clients with final preparations for events and functions.
5% D. Miscellaneous duties.
- Deliver and set up new equipment and furniture.
- Inventory and surplus items as directed.
- Tag equipment and furniture as directed.
- Relocate furniture and equipment as necessary.
- Maintain accurate records and reports.
- Operate custodial equipment properly.
- Report equipment repairs in a timely fashion.
- Maintain an orderly stock of supplies in supply closets and storage.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance as directed.
- Participate in training sessions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge and Abilities:
- Physical strength and stamina necessary to perform required work, able to bend, stoop, kneel, move furniture and work on feet for long periods of time.
- Willingness to accept supervisors' suggestions.
- Aptitude to learn from oral instruction by listening and asking questions.
- Aptitude to learn functions and use of standard cleaning implements.
- Able to read work instructions and schedules, warming signs and instructions for equipment operations.
- Knowledge of proper methods, materials, and equipment used in a variety of building cleaning, sanitizing and preservation work.
- Willingness to perform repetitive tasks.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Frequent lifting and bending.
- Must be able to lift up to 75lbs.
- Walking between various parts of the building and campus complex is required.
- Frequent back and form motion of arms required for vacuuming and floor scrubber use.
- Frequent pushing/pulling of various sized carts.
- Must be able to reach above head to clean high areas.
- Frequent up and down motion of the upper arms required for cleaning.
- Must be able to shovel snow.
- Age eighteen or high school graduation of successful completion of a recognized high school level general education development test.
- Ability to read written directions without assistance.
- Ability to work in effectively in a diverse, multicultural environment.
- Previous custodial experience
SALARY AND BENEFITSHourly rate will be $12.00/hour.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
* Benefit Details
* Total Compensation Estimator
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
Applications submitted by Friday, February 17, 2017 will have full consideration; position is open until filled.
APPLICATION PROCESS(a) Applicants not currently employed by the UW System
, please click on link
You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login". If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process. Under "Basic Job Search" enter the Keyword "Parkside" and click the Search button. Select applicable job opening #12827
. Click "Apply Now".
Please submit the application materials online as required by the job posting. Select "Submit". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee. Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.(b) Applicants currently employed by the UW System
, please click on link
You must login into your UW Portal to apply.
Go to the Time and Absence section. Click on "Request Absence" which is located directly above the Time and Absence section. This will log you into HRS.
Once logged into HRS, on the Menu Tab, on the left side of screen, click on Self Service
After entering the self-service page click on Careers link.
Browse Job Openings and click on the applicable job opening #12827 to apply.
Please submit the application materials online as required by the job posting. Select "Submit". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
Interested candidates should submit the following:
Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed. Incomplete applications may not receive further consideration.
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Women, minorities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is a comprehensive campus of the University of Wisconsin System with approximately 4800 students, 120 faculty, and 70 instructional academic staff offering 33 undergraduate majors and 3 master's degrees in 22 academic departments. The campus is located between the cities of Kenosha and Racine in southeastern Wisconsin, within the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor.
The university is situated on 700 acres of prairie and woodland approximately two miles west of Lake Michigan. Consisting of 15 buildings, the coherence and unity of the original campus design within its natural landscape has been sustained over four decades of development. Recent additions include a renovated and expanded student center, a 250 bed suite-style residence hall, and a greatly expanded and renovated center for the arts and humanities.