University Staff, Permanent - Dean Assistant in College of Business, Economics and Computing (Public May Apply)
University Staff, Permanent - Dean Assistant in College of Business, Economics, and Computing (Public May Apply)
Code: 13078 Posted: 04/21/2017
The College of Business, Economics and Computing at the University of Wisconsin invites applicants to apply for the Dean Assistant position.
The Dean's Assistant provides administrative support to the Dean and Associate Dean of the College of Business, Economics, and Computing. The Dean's Assistant supports many of the day-to-day activities in the dean's office. The person in this position must be an excellent communicator in order to facilitate interaction between the dean's office, other departments on campus, students, faculty, staff, alumni, advisory board members, and community. The position includes managing calendars; scheduling appointments and meetings; facilitating travel arrangements; arranging events; placing orders; travel and expense reporting; tracking progress; help with accounting, human resources, and budget as it relates to CBEC operations; and other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
50% A. ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT TO THE DEAN AND ASSOCIATE DEAN
1. Manage Dean's and Associate Dean's schedule and electronic calendar. Coordinate meeting dates, times, and locations upon Dean's and Associate Dean's request.
2. Screen calls, visitors, and requests for appointments, evaluate requests for information, responding to requests or referral to appropriate individual or office.
3. Oversee incoming mail, prioritize and distribute to Dean and Associate Dean as appropriate. Prepare outgoing mail for inter-campus or outside of campus delivery.
4. Exercise confidentiality and discretion in all aspects of the position, including communication with administration, faculty, academic staff, academic department associates, staff, and students. Act as a liaison between the Dean's office and other support staff in the college. Advise Dean and Associate Dean of situations that require attention.
5. Research and assist the Dean and Associate Dean in preparation of college data, administrative documents, and reports for submission to campus administration.
6. Assist in the monitoring and management of the College's budget in collaboration with Business Services, the Provost's Office, Departments, and other offices on campus. Must be proficient in using WISDM, Business Service forms, the Travel Expense Reporting system, and other tools associated with budget and accounting. Must know key financial policies and procedures of the college, university, and UW System.
7. Place college order using Pro-Cards and other purchasing systems. Maintain and reconcile records regarding purchases and submit to Business Services.
8. Assist in reviewing purchasing requests and make recommendations to the Dean regarding these purchases. Purchases can include office equipment, computers, and printers. Obtain price quotes where applicable.
9. Maintain records of inventory for capital equipment and software. Notify Facilities Management or appropriate unit when repairs are needed. Initiate online work orders when necessary.
10. Oversee directory information for faculty and staff in the college. Maintain record of office assignments. Coordinate with academic department associates to collect and record office hour and teaching information.
11. Act as building emergency officer in absence of Dean and Associate Dean.
12. Schedule conference rooms and labs for internal and external groups.
13. Communicate with members of the university community with professionalism and support.
14. Manage the day-to-day operations of the Dean's Office effectively and efficiently including monitoring the overall needs of clerical/student help staff in the College and provide assistance in resolving administrative support problems as they occur such as additional assistance for workloads, vacation scheduling, etc.
15. Assume responsibility for completing letters for the Dean's List at the end of each semester.
16. Coordinate with Beta Gamma Sigma honor fraternity in order to register students for membership and receive honor regalia.
17. Maintain filing system for Dean's Office including personnel, correspondence, program reviews, contract renewals, merit, and tenure decisions.
18. Arrange events including advisory board meetings and executive in residence. Arrange catering upon request.
19. Support Dean and Associate Dean with documentation regarding AACSB accreditation.
20. Other duties as assigned.
25% B. ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT IN PERSONNEL AREA.
1. Review academic calendar from Provost Office and advise Dean and Associate Dean of pertinent personnel deadlines. Monitor deadlines and keep the Dean, Associate Dean, chairs/directors, and support staff notified to ensure that deadlines are met for contract renewals, tenure, promotion, progress toward tenure, sabbatical proposals, outside activities report, etc.
2. Serve as liaison with the Provost Office, Human Resources, and other constituencies to ensure all applicable procedures are followed and personnel records are processed and maintained for all departments in the College.
3. Receive and review any reappointment materials and report any discrepancies to the Dean.
4. Work with faculty and support staff on recruitment related forms and documentation to help ensure that college recruitment activities are consistent with Human Resource policies and procedures. Demonstrate proficiency with the electronic talent management system to support recruiting. Help faculty and support staff with this system as needed. Serve as the recruiting support staff upon request of the Dean or Associate Dean.
5. Complete appropriate forms and contracts for new hires, LTE's, overload payments, and adjunct hires. Obtain signatures and required hiring documentation. Submit these forms, documentation and contracts to Human Resources, Business Services, and the Provost Office according to university procedure. This includes creating contracts and forms for adjuncts each semester, and preparing appropriate forms for summer contracts.
6. Support hiring undergraduate and graduate student workers. Prepare forms and contracts and submit them to Human Resources and Business Services.
7. Establish and maintain personnel files for all faculty and staff in the College personnel file for new hires. Maintain records for contract renewals, tenure decisions, emeritus appointments, promotions, and letters of offer. Maintain files related to publication and grant documentation that can be used for AACSB reporting purposes.
8. Receive requests from faculty and staff requiring personnel action (e.g., retirements, percentage change in appointments, leave of absence). Direct these requests to the appropriate office and ensure that accurate appropriate forms are generated and submitted.
9. Create contract letters and Human Resource forms for department chairs and directors.
10. Maintain faculty/staff course load information for each semester.
11. Other personnel duties as assigned.
15% C. PROVIDE ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT FOR POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
1. Provide assistance, as needed, to all College faculty, academic staff, staff, and LTE's in the preparation of forms and use of computer systems to facilitate university business processes (including those for Human Resources, Business Services, Travel, and Book Ordering).
2. Consult with Chair/Directors and support staff concerning current assignments and deadlines, including deadlines associated with class scheduling and catalog updates.
3. Assist faculty and staff regarding questions associated with various policies and laws including open records laws, recruiting, and FERPA.
4. Other administrative support as needed.
5% D. ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT OF EVENTS, TRAVEL, AND PROGRAMS
1. Arrange facilities, catering, and other necessary accommodations for College and Advisory Board meetings as needed.
2. Assist with coordinating special College events, including arranging facilities, catering and other necessary accommodations (e.g., Beta Gamma Sigma induction event, Executive in Residence).
3. Coordinate travel arrangements (including preparing travel authorizations, conference registration, hotel reservations, travel reservations) for the Dean, Associate Dean, guests of the College, and other College personnel at the Dean's request. Prepare and maintain records of travel vouchers, process reimbursements and related documents.
4. Other duties as assigned by the Dean and Associate Dean
5% E. MISCELLANEOUS DUTIES
1. Attend College Faculty/Staff meetings, record and distribute minutes.
2. Act as College liaison for CBEC Advisory Board, including attending meetings, maintaining information about advisory board members, communicating with advisory board members, recording, and distributing minutes and agenda.
3. Post information/announcements on bulletin boards, webpages, and electronic displays as directed by Dean or Associate Dean.
4. Obtain parking permits for visitors to campus and provide directions to campus rooms.
5. Acquire office keys for faculty and staff and keep related records.
6. Provide backup support for department offices.
7. Coordinate and assist as appropriate in the preparation and conduct of seminars/conferences sponsored by the College.
8. Maintain, as directed, a College contingency fund. Screen expenditures, maintain balances, and keep records.
9. Working with academic department associates, monitor course evaluation process and store results of the evaluations.
10. Other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge And Abilities
- Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, email, and database applications.
- Ability to learn computer applications to support College and University processes.
- Ability to learn, interpret, and properly apply policies and procedures.
- Ability to work in groups, and coordinate, develop, and implement projects.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and resolve problems.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize multiple work assignments and projects.
- Ability to maintain accurate and detailed records.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective professional working relationships with individuals at all organizational levels.
- Ability to provide assistance on work assignments of other College staff.
- Ability to work independently and with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with groups and on a one-on-one basis.
- Ability to perform work often under pressure to meet multiple service and operational demands while maintaining service standards.
- Ability to perform basic math calculations in order to maintain accounts and support budgeting processes.
- Responsible for money, university funds or accounts which hold financial information.
- Physical ability work at a desk and operate a computer for about two hours at a time.
- Moderate amounts of walking, standing, and stair climbing; occasional lifting of up to 25 pounds.
Education, Experience, Training And/or Certifications
Proficient in Office software (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), web navigation, and web based software.
Effective oral and written communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of co-workers, CBEC Advisory Board members, and campus visitors.
Excellent organizational skills in order to manage and accomplish multiple tasks frequently within significant time constraints.
Ability to exercise independent judgement in dealing with complex situations.
- Bachelor's degree
- Understanding of the postsecondary environment
- Demonstrated experience in office operations in higher education, non-profits, government, or related areas.
- Demonstrated experience in administrative support
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $16.67-$20.19 per hour.
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Review of Applications
Online applications received by 11:59 pm May 8, 2017 are ensured full consideration.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants Apply Here (candidates not currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) - follow link then continue to STEP 2
Internal Applicants Apply Here (candidates currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) - follow link, then under "Main Menu" choose:
STEP 2: Under "Job Search" choose:
Job Opening ID: "13708"
Select "Dean Assistant"
Click "Apply Now"
You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process.
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Cover letter that specifically addresses qualifications for the essential job functions
Names and contact information for three references
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. You must select "SUBMIT", selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
If you have questions about how to apply go to https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21544
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
The University of Wisconsin Parkside is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applicants from women, people of color, persons with disabilities and all veterans.
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at 262-595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Contact Name: Dirk Baldwin
Contact Phone: (262)595-2379
Contact Email: email@example.com