University Staff, Permanent - Power Plant Operator - Senior (Public May Apply)
University Staff, Permanent - Power Plant Operator - Senior (Public May Apply)
Code: 12978 Posted: 04/07/2017
The University of Wisconsin Parkside currently has a regular, full-time, 3rd shift, Power Plant Operator – Senior position vacancy. The work schedule for this position is a revolving and the hours are from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am.
Member of the public and UW Parkside and UW System employees with expected continuous employment (formerly known as Permanent). Project and University Staff Temporary employees are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, non-represented, non-exempt position with a twelve (12) month probationary period.
This is a responsible position in a large and highly complex Heating & Chilling Plant. The Heating & Chilling Plant provides steam to 10 campus buildings and chilled water to nine campus buildings, which are inter-connected, by a series of underground tunnels and conduits. General supervision received from the Power Plant Superintendent. On shift, the Power Plant Operator – Senior is solely responsible for the following: total operation and maintenance of the entire plant in a safe and efficient manner, assistance in emergencies, emergency repairs, and performance of any other duties associated with the operation of a complex heating and chilling plant.
- Training in heating, cooling and/or power plant operations, or related experience
- Experience as a heating, cooling, and/or power plant operator
- Experience working in a university setting
- Possession of a ASOPE Third Class Power Plant Operating Engineer License (Active/Inactive)
- Ability to communicate verbally, reading and in writing using the English language to give, receive, read, and write detailed instructions
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with the public, coworkers, and other University workers
- Sufficient long-term memory to be able to recall and apply policies, procedures and regulations
- Sufficient short-term memory to be able to return to and accurately complete tasks after interruptions
- Knowledge of emergency Heating & Chilling Plant procedures and reactions
- Ability to communicate emergency situations with clarity in the English language
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis except for leave provided by the labor contract or law
- Ability to learn and perform all essential job functions safely while on shift, with little direct supervision after training
- Sufficient manual dexterity to operate office equipment, hand tools, machinery, and maintenance equipment
- Ability to read, interpret and understand equipment manuals and blueprints
- Possess a high degree of mechanical aptitude
- Ability to deal with stressful situations
- Initiative to work productively for sustained periods without supervision
- Currently possess, or obtain before completion of probation, and maintain ASOPE Third Class Power Plant Operating Engineer License, or approved equivalent
- Responsible for Money, University Funds and/or Accounts that hold financial information
- Must have the physical strength and stamina to perform required work
- Ability to perform duties under adverse conditions such as working below grade, in extreme hot/cold or confined spaces and from elevated or uneven surfaces
- Ability to climb ladders, traverse planks or walkways, squat, kneel, bend, stoop, crawl, twist, lay flat and adequate balance to accomplish the required tasks
- Ability to lift heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to tolerate airborne dust and a dirty work environment
- Ability and flexibility to access boiler watersides/firesides and tanks/vessels through restricted openings as small as 11" x 15" elliptically
- Ability and mobility to move about the plant and perform complex procedures under a time constraint
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University's primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
Applications received by 11:59 PM April 28, 2017, for full consideration. Position is open until filled.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants Apply Here (candidates not currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) - follow link then continue to STEP 2
Internal Applicants Apply Here (candidates currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Job Search" choose:
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "12978"
- Select this position
- Click "Apply Now"
- You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password"
- and select "Login"
- If you have not yet registered, click "Register Now" to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- Cover letter indicating the required and preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information of three references
You must select "SUBMIT", selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at 262-595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Contact Name: Sherry Craig
Contact Phone: 262-595-2228
Contact Email: email@example.com