University Staff, Permanent - Shipping and Mailing Associate (Public May Apply)
University Staff, Permanent - Shipping and Mailing Associate (Public May Apply)
Code: 12541 Posted: 10/28/2016
The University of Wisconsin Parkside currently has a 1st shift Shipping & Mailing Associate vacancy in our Mail Services Department.
Members of the public and UW Parkside and UW System employees with expected continuous employment (formerly known as Permanent), Project and Limited Term Employees, are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, non-represented, non-exempt position. A six month permissive probation period will be required.
1st shift M-F 6:45PM to 3:15PM
The key principle of this job is to support the mission of the University of WI-Parkside by providing services for mail/parcels by processing/delivery of incoming, outgoing and campus mail/parcels.
Be able to provide guidance and respond to inquiries from the faculty and staff.
Complete other duties as assigned
75% A. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF MAILROOM, SURPLUS AND CENTRAL RECEIVING OPERATIONS
A1. Operate postage meters and scales using a computer based accounting system in order to process, prepare, sort, wrap, and deliver all classes of mail. This would include domestic, international, certified, registered, insured, express, priority, standard mailings (3rd Class) and Federal Express.
A2. Pick up, sort and prepare U.S. mail for delivery and process delivery slips for all types of incoming parcels/packages interdepartmental and U.S. mail.
A3. Open and inspect all incoming packages/parcels for appropriate addressing, check condition of contents, match contents with Purchase Orders and/or Low Dollar Orders and packing slip. Complete Central Receiving report, note any discrepancies. Process all paperwork and distribute accordingly
A4. Scan, deliver, setup, maintain and prepare letter/package/parcel list using an Excel spreadsheet for departmental delivery and maintain current and past files for Central Receiving/Mail Services.
A5. Drive mailroom vehicle on special and/or daily deliveries and pickup of parcels/packages and interdepartmental and U.S. mail on campus and to/from U.S. Post Offices.
A6. Prepare and process UPS packages using a computer manifest system and print a daily UPS manifest report.
A7. Maintains Standard mailing, postage due and business reply accounts with Post Office using Excel spreadsheets.
25% B. ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF MAIL ROOM, SURPLUS AND CENTRAL RECEIVING OPERATIONS
B1. Service mailroom window and answer telephone inquiries from campus personnel.
B2. Schedule maintenance for mailroom equipment, operate and maintain material handling/furniture moving equipment when needed. Maintain and operate mail vehicle and perform general housekeeping duties when needed
B3. Assist Surplus staff in documenting and processing surplus forms and moving surplus items to and from surplus rooms.
B4. Order supplies from Post Office when required and pick up/deliver newspapers.
B5. Affix inventory identification numbers to equipment identified as capital and properly process and distribute paperwork.
B6. Assist in training new temporary employees.
B7. Perform other duties as directed.
- Ability to access customer's needs and assuring quality standards for services and evaluating customer satisfaction.
- To have the flexibility and confidentiality when dealing with customers and co-workers.
- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Applicants must be physically able to safely perform efficiently the duties of the position, which may at times require exertion involving prolonged lifting, standing, walking, bending and reaching, and may involve the handling of heavy containers and carts of mail and parcels weighing up to 70 pounds.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have communication and customer service skills.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and comprehend spoken English.
- Ability to perform basic math computations.
- Must be able to use computers, calculators and have Microsoft Office experience.
- Comprehend written instructions and as directed.
- Must be able to multi task and at times work with constant noise and interruptions.
- Be able to handle difficult situations.
- Knowledge of mail processing by being able to use a postage machine, electronic scale and accounting system.
- The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- The ability to write, read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- To be able to work with constant interruptions and handle difficult situations.
The hourly rate will not be less than the minimum of the pay range of $12.50 per hour. The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/Univ-staff.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
Applications submitted by Friday, November 11, 2016 will have full consideration.
All applications are to be submitted electronically through our employment portal.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
- "Advanced Search", Job Opening ID: "12541"
- Find Jobs Posted Within: "Anytime" click "Search"
- Select "Shipping and Mail Clerk", click "Apply Now"
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
- Names and contact information for three references
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released.
See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is a comprehensive campus of the University of Wisconsin System with approximately 4800 students, 120 faculty, and 70 instructional academic staff offering 33 undergraduate majors and 3 master's degrees in 22 academic departments. The campus is located between the cities of Kenosha and Racine in southeastern Wisconsin, within the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor.
The university is situated on 700 acres of prairie and woodland approximately two miles west of Lake Michigan. Consisting of 15 buildings, the coherence and unity of the original campus design within its natural landscape has been sustained over four decades of development. Recent additions include a renovated and expanded student center, a 250 bed suite-style residence hall, and a greatly expanded and renovated center for the arts and humanities.
Contact Name: Jennifer Wagner
Contact Phone: 262-595-2576
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org