University Staff, Permanent - University Services Program Associate in Athletics (Public May Apply)
Code: 13074 Posted: 04/21/2017
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applicants to apply for a University Services Program Assistant to join our team in the Athletic Department.
This position is a university staff, 32 hours per week, and non-exempt, non-represented position. A six month probation period may be required.
Under the direct supervision of the Athletic director, this position provides administrative guidance, assistance and coordination to department staff with athletic activities, policies, programs, systems and offerings. Responsible for athletic cash transactions, including the audit and balance of cash boxes. Coordinate hiring process for student workers, classified and unclassified positions including maintenance of TAM, coordination of travel, and preparation of hiring documentation. Prepare and coordinate paperwork and documentation in support of athletic personnel activities. Provide customer support; mediate and defuse issues. Perform related duties in support of athletic programs and activities.
30% A. Athletics Administration
- Provide administrative assistance to the Athletic Director: schedule appointments and update calendar; screen and filter non-scheduled drop-in appointments; book travel arrangements.
- Provide administrative support to athletic teams and coaches, facilities director, intramural coordinator and sports media. Distribute team travel itineraries. Prepare and obtain approvals for intercollegiate game contracts.
- Maintain volunteer documentation, ensuring compliance with UW system and Risk Management requirements. Prepare annual letters detailing responsibilities, volunteer hours and dates, and other UW System and NCAA-required statements of coverage and rules.
- Provide confidential support regarding student-athlete issues including rule violations, discipline actions, scholarships and eligibility concerns.
- Interview, hire, train and supervise SAC office student workers. Delegate work and coordinate priorities between athletics administration and finance areas.
- Maintain door security for the SAC. Create security classes to provide access based on roles and responsibilities and assign access to users. Create PIN security. Audit security assignments at the end of each semester and update as needed.
- Coordinate the payment of officials for UWP-hosted intercollegiate athletic events. Maintain ArbiterPay accounts; audit, balance, arrange for refunds or fund replenishment.
- Participate in internal and NCAA financial audits.
- Provide administration of athletic funds and accounts for cash-related transactions within Athletics: process chargebacks, deposits, check requests, journal entries and payment to individuals (PIRs); prepare cash boxes for athletic activities and special events; confirm, audit and deposit income received from events; maintain, audit and balance athletic cash boxes; generate reports and summaries as requested by athletic director or compliance director.
- Coordinate athletic event registration and related payment for identified department events including cross country meets, swim camps, athletic hall of fame inductions, intercollegiate championships, golf outings or other fundraising events. Design and disseminate forms, collect and deposit registration fees, compile data for event operation, and prepare post-event analysis.
- Manage Sports and Activity Center (SAC) memberships for community, faculty and staff, and students: Respond to membership inquiries, maintain membership-related forms and procedures, distribute SAC parking permits, and provide guidance to workers. Oversee maintenance of membership software/database; troubleshoot system problems, setup workstations, run various reports, assist in cleanup of database
- Manage administrative hiring process for student workers within the athletic organization including the wellness center, strength and conditioning center, issue room, intramurals and athletic events.
- Manage administrative process for professional and classified staff hires and rehires. Coordinate the preparation and posting of external employment announcements for athletic-related sites. Maintain the Talent Acquisition Module (TAM) within HRS for athletic searches. Prepare candidate travel arrangements, coordinate visit itinerary, and process related travel reimbursements. Initiate contract letters and related payroll hire forms and coordinate with candidates for submission of completed documents.
- Provide confidential support for all actions relating to athletic employee HR activities including performance evaluations, grievances, salary, discipline actions, hires, terminations and complaints. Update annual contract letters; coordinate signature and submission to HR. Prepare and coordinate paperwork for all personnel changes.
- Maintain and order department supplies and some equipment; coordinate orders with creative services.
- Provide customer service to students, community, faculty, and other departments businesses, organizations and anyone else that may call, write or stop in with questions, concerns, requests, or comments regarding the SAC, facility memberships, or UW-Parkside Athletics. Develop insight to know when to refer matter to others. Mediate and defuse negative issues when possible and keep appropriate personnel informed. March 22, 2017
- Act as point person for maintenance of department information that is communicated internally and via uwp.edu website. Coordinate modifications to website; provide internal updates regarding phones, computers, directories, personnel, etc.
- Close out and file athletic program-related documents at the end of the fiscal/athletic year and set up binders for the next year. Update and set up student worker files for the next year; terminate non-returning students.
- Input internal SAC facility reservations in EMS for casual or one-time events that involve no rental charges.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Thurough in-depth knowledge and experience with Word and Excel
- Prior involvement with building/modifying simple applications using database software
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment while also resolving problems and troubleshooting. Adept a responding to difficult or agitated inquiries in an amiable, defusing manner.
- Qualified to manage multiple activities without losing attention to details.
- Prior cash handling, balancing, and cash auditing skills required. Requires knowledge of general accounting practices and
- Overall thoroughness, organization, accuracy, and availability of appropriate.
- Adequacy, timeliness, and accuracy.
- Timeliness of meeting goals.
- Willingness to make suggestions and soundness of those suggestions.
- Soundness of judgment and operational decisions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work while being responsive to University personnel.
- Timely and effective communication of problems and opportunities. This includes the responsibility for identifying and communicating information of importance as soon as possible.
- Integrity in dealing with customers, students, vendors, employees, and management.
- Punctuality, attendance, effective use of time, and willingness to work overtime when necessary.
- Maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Willingness to assist with special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Associate's Degree
- Three years administrative/office experience
- One year prior cash handling or accounting exposure/experience
- Word and Excel hands-on processing experience using mail merge, pivot tables, mathematical and logical functions and formulas, formatting, layout, and form design
- Direct hands-on involvement with building/modifying simple applications using Microsoft Access or other relational database software.
- Competent Customer service skills, capability to mediate issues
- Bachelor's Degree
- Prior experience with PeopleSoft
- Supervisory experience
- Exposure/knowledge of relevant athletic events and seasons.
The salary range for this position is $15.41 -$17.00 per hour
The University of Wisconsin System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Online applications received by 11:59 pm May 5, 2017 are ensured full consideration.
External Applicants Apply Here (candidates not currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) - follow link then continue to STEP 2
Internal Applicants Apply Here (candidates currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) - follow link, then under "Main Menu" choose:
- "Self Service"
- "More Options"
- Job Opening ID: "13074"
- Select this position
- Click "Apply Now"
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
- Cover letter that specifically addresses qualifications for the essential job functions
- Names and contact information for three references
You must select "SUBMIT", selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
If you have questions about how to apply go to https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21544
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
The University of Wisconsin Parkside is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applicants from women, people of color, persons with disabilities and all veterans.
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at 262-595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Contact Name: Nancy Franzen
Contact Phone: 262-595-2245
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org