- EXPLORE/UWP INFORMATION
- HUMAN RESOURCES
University Staff Temporary Facilities Management Center
Custodians ( Part - Time )
Code: 14072 Posted: 06/08/2018
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside is currently hiring for part-time, temporary custodians to work 20-25 hours per week, can be less if needed. First shift hours are 5am-10am. Third shift hours are 10pm-2am.
Essential Job Functions:
Positions in Operations may include the following job duties:
- Manually sweep, mop and clean offices, classrooms, bathrooms, hallways, stairs and elevators.
- Operate poser equipment to strip or scrub and refinish hard surface floors; extract carpets and clean furniture.
- Collection of waste and recyclable materials including their placement in proper receptacles or collection sites.
- Wash windows, walls, chalkboards, desktops, tables and stair wells.
- Clean light fixtures and replace light bulbs.
- Remove snow from walk ways and drives to allow access to buildings, manually or with a snow blower.
Positions in Facilities may include the following:
Facilities Repair Worker
- Installation, repair, and replacement of miscellaneous furnishings, i.e. Blackboards, pencil sharpeners, projection screens, mini-blinds, coat racks, paintings, fire extinguishers, etc.restroom furnishings, i.e., wall partitions, trash, towel, soap, and napkin dispenser, mirrors, metal access doors, toilet tissue rollers, etc.
- Maintenance of trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals as well as all interior foliage plants.
- Perform all duties to manage the greenhouse design, landscaping of all flower beds and propagate all annuals and perennials needed for design of all plantings.
- Perform grass cutting duties within a scheduled zone or as directed by your supervisor to include cutting, trimming and the application of fertilizer and pesticides.
- Maintenance of campus lawns, athletic turf, trees, shrubs, and flowers including annuals and perennials.
- Maintenance of sidewalks, roadways and parking lots. The ability to operate motor vehicles and specialized grounds equipment to maintain lawns, athletic turf parking lots, roads and sidewalks.
- Perform snow removal operations on campus including sidewalks, roads and parking lots.
Good work habits, such as attendance, punctuality, accountability, thoroughness, and resourcefulness are essential for this position.
- Must have the aptitude to learn from oral and written instructions by listening and asking questions.
- Fill in for employees on leave of absence (vacation, sick leave, etc.)
- Must be willing to accept supervisor's directions.
- Must be able to communicate well with Supervisor and other members on the staff.
- Must be able to work on a lift in high and confined spaces
- Frequent lifting and bending
- Physical ability to lift 50 lbs. from the floor to waist occasionally.
- Physical ability to stand and walk continuously throughout an eight hour shift.
- Must have the physical strength and stamina to perform required work.
- Ability to push, pull, reach, bend, twist, stoop, and kneel.
- Ability to reach above your head, walk stairs and climb ladders.
- Frequent up and down motion of arms required for cleaning.
- Ability to tolerate temperature extremes when performing snow removal activities.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring repetitive motion.
Education, Experience, Training and/or Certifications
- Ability to read and understand written directions without assistance
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Ability to work in high and confined spaces
- Ability to be trained on and use Facilities equipment
- Ability to carry out multiple work assignments
- Previous Facilities experience
- Possession of or eligibility to obtain a valid driver’s license upon appointment
- Ability to perform minimal computer functions such as punch in/out on web clock and email.
Starting hourly rate will be $10.00 per hour.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are encouraged to be submitted electronically through our employment portal but resume's may also be dropped off in person to Human Resources, Tallent Hall 2nd Floor, 900 Wood Rd. Kenosha, WI. Hours 8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu (NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
Internal Applicants: https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu (Currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System)
STEP 2: Under "Basic Job Search" choose:
"Advanced Search", Job Opening ID: "14072"
Find Jobs Posted Within: "Anytime" click "Search"
Select "University Staff Temporary", click "Apply"
You must login before you can apply. Input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login". If you have not yet registered, click "Register “Now" to begin the registration process.
STEP 3: Submit application materials
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
You must select "SUBMIT". Selecting "Save" will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials.
In instances where the Review Committee is unable to ascertain from a candidates application materials whether she/he meets all of the required qualifications, or if all of the application materials are not submitted, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications and may be excluded from further consideration.
Employment will require a criminal background check in accordance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act.
Note: Criminal Background Check – The Department of Workforce Development, Equal Rights Division prohibits employers from using criminal background check information, policies or practices that have a “disparate impact” and is not “job-related and consistent with business necessity” in hiring decisions. All information used to screen or hire job applications should relate to the duties of the job.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm Call the UW Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report
Contact Name: Sherry Craig
Contact Phone: 262/595-3621
Contact Email: email@example.com