Purchasing Goods and Services

Purchasing Requests should be processed through ShopUW+ logo


Purchasing compliance can be complex due to the layers of rules. As a state institution, we are required to ensure compliance at every level. This purchasing and procurement information will help you identify your compliance obligations and identify where to submit your requests.


Welcome to ShopUW+!

ShopUW+ manages almost all of our campus purchasing. Your Campus Operations Support Team Representative will help you submit and manage your ShopUW+ non-catalog purchases.

Please use the COST ticket in BP Logix.

Catalog Purchases

ShopUW+ has many suppliers in the system from whom you can order using e-commerce. All University of Wisconsin System Shoppers can put items in their cart from the catalog suppliers. The cart then must be assigned to a requester - per the department/unit business process - for purchase.

Please refer to your department/unit business process.

If an item is available from a catalog supplier, it should be purchased through the catalog supplier.

Catalog suppliers are managed through UW Madison.

Non - Catalog Purchases

If an item is not available from a catalog supplier, we may need a requisition in ShopUW+. ( See Best Judgment Purchases below)

It is a best practice to notify your COST rep as early in the purchase process as possible. This will allow the Rep to work with you on the purchase and ensure you are meeting all procurement rules by liaising with our procurement manager.

If needed, your COST Representative will add the requisition to ShopUW+ ensuring we use the correct form and that all appropriate and necessary documentation is attached.

Best Judgment Purchases

Departments have delegated authority for some types of purchases up to $5,000 as long as they do not need additional procurement oversight.

Departments may have someone perform work and invoice for that work under $5,000. Purchase Requests can be made after the work is completed and the invoice is received.

Please ensure all invoices are sent to: AP.Office@uwp.edu or

Accounts Payable
University of Wisconsin Parkside
900 Wood Road
Kenosha WI 53144

Standing Order

A standing order is a purchase order with a single supplier which contains multiple delivery dates scheduled over a period of time. It is normally used when there is a recurring need for expendable goods. Standing orders usually align to fiscal year timelines unless specifically indicated by contract and business need.

If you pay the same supplier multiple times, using a Standing Order:

  • limits the department approvals to ONE time versus for every invoice
  • encumbers department funds
  • decreases the payment turnaround for your supplier

Use the COST ticket in BP Logix to submit a request for a standing order.


If you have an item that requires pre-payment, we can request pre-payment. This is particularly useful for contracts with deposits or memberships, registrations, etc. Please put that note in the COST ticket.


See below for more information about contracts, but please remember almost ALL contracts must be reviewed and signed by our procurment office.

Contracts may be ASSAs, Entertainer/Speaker contracts, Contracts from Suppliers, Riders that must be attached to other contracts.

ALL of these are required to be FULLY EXECUTED prior to the beginning of the contract time period.  Fully executed means signed and dated by both parties. We accept wet signatures and secure electronic signatures.

When you submit a contract for Procurement review it should already be signed by the other party.

Please submit a COST ticket if you have questions. 

Paying People

You may review this information on the Paying Individuals webpage. Keep in mind that the IRS presumes an employee/employer relationship when an individual is being paid for services. Human Resources must be involved to determine if the individual should be an employee. Please refer to Human Resources policies.

Troubleshooting Tips

1. Do not submit any non- catalog requests in ShopUW+.

2. Involve your COST representative as early as possible through a COST ticket in BP Logix.

3. New Suppliers are all managed through UW System. give yourself as much time as possible, but at least 2 weeks to get a new supplier in the system. 

4. All contracts must be reviewed PRIOR to the start date of the contract or service.



There may be existing contracts or special purchasing authority for items you are interested in.

Please review existing contracts to ensure your item is not already contracted.

Review the categories to ensure your purchase does not meet the special approval criteria.

Many commodities and services are covered under contracts established by our campus, UW-Madison, UW-Systems, or Wisconsin Department of Administration State Bureau of Procurement.

Most of the contracts established by the state are mandatory while University contracts are optional for the purchaser.

UW System, Madison, and DOA contracts can be accessed via a search feature on the University of Wisconsin Madison Business Services page.

Even though a commodity or service you may want to purchase does not conflict with a mandatory contract, it may have other restrictions due to Federal or State requirements and University policies. When initiating a transaction, you should determine if any special approvals or adherence to other conditions are required. Orders cannot be issued to vendors until required approvals are in place. The following are examples of procurements that must meet special conditions or require additional approvals.

  • Signage/Assistive Listening Device, etc. (Compliance to Americans w/Disabilities Act)
  • Air Charter, 8 or less passengers (Wisconsin Air Service to provide)
  • Alcoholic Beverages (University restrictions, approval for research use)
  • Computers and Software (IT Services approval)
  • Controlled Substances (State Controlled Substance Board and DEA registration)
  • Fireworks, pyrotechnics (Risk Management approval)
  • Office Furniture (BSI waiver - contact Purchasing)
  • High Speed Copiers (DOA approval)
  • Importing Goods (State, Federal, Customs regulations)
  • Insurance (DOA Risk Mgt approval)
  • High Risk Services (Proof of Insurance Coverage)
  • Student Org Transactions (Dean approval)
  • Legal Services (Governor's approval)
  • Motor Vehicles (DOA, Governor's approvals)
  • Printing over $50.00 (Creative Services must order)
  • Radioactive Materials/Stable Isotopes (Risk Management approval)
  • Temporary Help (Purchasing, Human Resources approvals)
  • Trademarked Goods (Trademark Licensing verification)
  • Weapons (Police and Safety approval)
  • Architectural, structural, electrical, security system modifications (Facilities Mgt approval)
  • Food Service on campus (Parkside Student Center approval)
  • Personal items, e.g. snacks, beverages, creamer, sugar, lotion, Kleenex, cleaning supplies and other items for routine consumption by staff or students (Not allowed - contact Purchasing)

The ordering department is responsible for obtaining all necessary hiring approvals before procuring help wanted classified advertising.

Note that employment ads for University Personnel CAN ONLY BE WRITTEN AND PLACED by the Human Resources Department to insure compliance with University Personnel System procedures.

For other vacancies, the requestor may also wish to consult with Human Resources when composing ad text. When ad content has been finalized and publish dates have been determined, the following procedure is to be followed for placing classified newspaper ads for other than University Personnel.

Temporary Help ads must have Human Resources and Purchasing approval.

Step 1: Prepare an LDO using the Purchase Authorization Form to authorize payment. The date the ad is to be printed along with a deadline date for receipt by the supplier should be clearly stated. Include the publication's contact information in the body of the order, i.e. email Order to xxx@xx.com.

If time constraints do not allow for normal routing of the requisition for signatures, a copy may be emailed to purchasing.


All contracts for purchase or other procurement documents requesting University signature, except for a receipt to acknowledge delivery, must be forwarded to Purchasing for signature. Attach a contract requiring review and signature to a COST ticket. Your COST representative will work with Procurement and submit a purchase request when appropriate.

Purchasing will review the agreement for terms and conditions not acceptable to the University and take appropriate action.

Capital Projects are specific to Facilities Management. Funding and projects are managed through UW system. If you have questions, please contact Business Services.


If you are purchasing an item from a supplier not on a contract, you should check out these lists. If a supplier appears on the following directories, they are ineligible. Do not purchase from these suppliers. If you have questions, contact Purchasing.

State of Wisconsin’s Ineligible Vendor Directory

Certification for Collection Sales and Use Tax Ineligible Vendor Directory

Common Special Approval Items

Technology purchases must be routed through CTS. Please refer to the Purchasing Technology page here

Contact Purchasing regarding any furniture purchases. UW System has a contract with Badger State Industries. You must have a waiver to purchase furniture from anyone other than BSI.

All orders for printing exceeding $50.00 must be placed directly through the Creative Service's webpage for pre-approval and processing.

Personal items, e.g. snacks, beverages, creamer, sugar, lotion, Kleenex, cleaning supplies and other items for routine consumption by staff or students are not allowed to be purchased using University funds. Contact Purchasing with questions.

Copiers and Printers are subject to a mandatory contract. Contact Purchasing with questions.

Purchasing Card

A method for completing delegated transactions with external suppliers is by UW-Parkside Purchasing Card. Our Purchasing Card page provides additional information.

Do not submit a requisition request or invoice for payment through ShopUW+ and then pay for the items or services using a PCard.  If you think you may want to pay with a PCard after a ShopUW+ submission, you must contact your COST representative for guidance. Please submit a COST ticket.


All Requisitions are submitted through COST. There are great general searches in SHOPUW+ you can use and customize to follow your requsitions, purchase orders, and invoices through the process. Please submit a COST ticket for training and watch for periodic updates and training from your COST team.



A principal point of contact is named in each delegated department to ensure records and documentation are available for department reference and audit. Purchasing provides delegation training. Contact Purchasing with questions about delegation authority.


The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System is a legal entity created by the legislature under §36 Wis. Stats. et al. Since the UW System stands as a singular business entity, only designated and authorized officers and agents may act with the legal authority of the UW System, specifically, only explicitly designated officers and agents may bind the UW System to contracts and agreements.

If you have questions about signature authority, please see the Chancellor's webpage.


All submitted requisitions in ShopUW+ will create a Purchase Order. Purchase Orders are distributed directly from the SHOPUW+ system after purchasing approval to the email contact you give us or is on the quote.

Standing Purchase Orders replaced Blanket Purchase Orders.

Your COST representative will work with you to ensure you take advantage of the Standing Orders with your common suppliers where appropriate.

If you are purchasing an item over $5,000, please reach out to Purchasing as early as possible. You will then need to submit all relevant information from purchasing with your COST request submission.

Engaging Services

In some situations, you will be engaging services rather than buying goods.

The IRS presumes individuals providing services are employees. It is our responsibility to ensure that our suppliers are appropriately  categorized. Please refer to Human Resources for a review of the specific situation.

If Human Resources determines that the individual is an independent contractor, submit a COST ticket as early as possible to ensure you have the appropriate paperwork. It takes at least 2 weeks to get a new supplier added in the system, but the timing varies based on the responsiveness of the individual.

Remember that ALL contracts must be fully executed - signed by the supplier and by the UW Parkside agent - prior to the first day of service.

Entertainer/Speaker Contracts

If you are engaging an entertainer or speaker, you will need a signed Entertainment/Speaker Contract PRIOR to the event taking place. If the Speaker or Entertainer provides his/her own contract, then he/she must sign the University Standard Rider before Purchasing will sign their contract.

The Speaker or Entertainer will receive a 1099.

For contracts with a total value of $7000 and a non-Wisconsin resident entertainer or speaker, a Wisconsin Department of Revenue WT-11 form is required except under specific conditions.  For more information, see UW System Administrative Policy 235 (formerly F31).


If you have an item that requires pre-payment, we can request pre-Payment. This is particularly useful for contracts with deposits or memberships, registrations, etc. Include this information as a note in the COST ticket.

Academic Support Services Agreements

"Some services provided by independent contractors represent special talents needed by the UW System on a temporary basis to fulfill its missions of instruction, research and public service. If the service is a unique, noncompetitive activity supporting instruction/research/public service, it will be considered an Academic Support Service."

If the service meets the ASSA requirement, you are required to have an Academic Support Services Agreement executed and approved by the procurement officer prior to commencement of the service to certify that the competitive purchasing process need not be used.

An ASSA must be executed regardless of the payment method utilized.

An ASSA may also be requested if a submitted contract does not meet appropriate procurement standards.


Business Services


900 Wood Rd.
Kenosha, WI 53144 
Tallent Hall 245
Parking: Lot T

Office Hours

  • SUNClosed
  • MON7:45 AM  to 11:45 AM and 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM
  • TUE7:45 AM  to 11:45 AM and 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM
  • WED7:45 AM  to 11:45 AM and 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM
  • THU7:45 AM  to 11:45 AM and 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM
  • FRI7:45 AM  to 11:45 AM and 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM
  • SATClosed

Please note that documents you would send via intercampus mail should be scanned and emailed to businessservices@uwp.edu

Suppliers should send invoices to AP.Office@uwp.edu

Scroll to top